Out of memory

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
alfkil

Out of memory

Post by alfkil »

I have 2 GB memory in my X1000, but whenever the system reaches 400-something free, I get an out of memory alert, and cannot open any more windows. Why is that ?
xenic

Re: Out of memory

Post by xenic »

@alfkil
I reported the problem quite a while ago in the topic "X1000 memory accessibility" but got zero response. Lots of reads but no responses. Here is what I wrote in that topic:
I noticed that there seem to be 487MB of system memory that I can't use. If I use the allocmem command from OS4Depot to allocate 1.25 GB of memory or if I copy music files to ram: until 1.25 GB of memory is used, there is 487MB of available memory listed by Workbench, the avail command and memstat (119,135 blocks). However, I can't start any programs or open too many windows on Workbench. I paid for 2GB memory (actually 4GB but I know why the extra 2GB is unavailable) and apparently almost a quarter of that memory is inaccessible.

On my µA1, almost all of the 500MB installed memory not used for the OS (kickstart etc.) is available. The same holds true for my SAM Flex. If 487MB of memory were unavailable on my µA1 it wouldn't even work and if 487MB of memory were not available on my SAM, I would only have about 250MB memory available instead of over 700MB. I have twice as much installed memory on my X1000 as my SAM but only about 50% more memory available.

Whats wrong with X1000 memory and how do I make all of it available for use??
If this isn't a bug I'd at least like to know why the memory is unavailable.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

400MB or 400KB?

Also, what kind of graphics card do you have?

I'd be more inclined to believe this would be a limitation of your graphics memory not the X1000s memory pool

segmentation or fragmentation might have some bearing on it too?

what are you doing or combination of what you are doing that uses over a GB of MB memory anyway? in short, more information of procedures and proceedings that causes you to arrive at this point in time.

@alfikil

Once I get my X1000 setup (hopefully) later on today I'll have a look at this, how unexpected
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

alfkil wrote:I have 2 GB memory in my X1000, but whenever the system reaches 400-something free, I get an out of memory alert, and cannot open any more windows. Why is that ?
I have 4 GB of memory in my x1000, of only which 2 GB is seen, I also get the our of memory text at around 400 MB left. Seems to be normal with OS4.1, I did ask, was told memory allocation.

Don't worry about it, Ken
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
xenic

Post by xenic »

sundown wrote:
alfkil wrote:I have 2 GB memory in my X1000, but whenever the system reaches 400-something free, I get an out of memory alert, and cannot open any more windows. Why is that ?
I have 4 GB of memory in my x1000, of only which 2 GB is seen, I also get the our of memory text at around 400 MB left. Seems to be normal with OS4.1, I did ask, was told memory allocation.
My SAM Flex isn't missing 400MB of installed memory and neither was my µA1. I don't think it's normal for OS 4.1 and is a problem that is only occurring on X1000.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

xenic wrote:
sundown wrote:
My SAM Flex isn't missing 400MB of installed memory and neither was my µA1. I don't think it's normal for OS 4.1 and is a problem that is only occurring on X1000.
By "normal", I mean its not a h/w problem. Steven was told, he will deal with memory at some point.

Ken
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

I had the same problem today who is reproductible (at least on my system)

X1000, 4gB RAM (of course, 2 only are allocatables by AOS4), RadeonHD6670 2gB

1) edit with Notepad a huge picture file (a photo of a camera, size around 4mB)
2) "Mark all" / "Copy" / "Paste" to make a very big file
3) "Save"

Save of the file is impossible because "Not enough RAM available".

As soon that I copy datas, I see (in SysMon) that memory decreases suddenly to around 450mB free.
When I cancel the save and that I close Notepad, the memory is well freed.

Edit : forgot to mention that when I edit / mark all / copy another big file when the first file is still using memory, the OS freezes directly.

Is somebody with an X1000 can do the same test ?

Is somebody with an Amiga not X1000 can do the same test ?

Thank you
Guillaume
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Well, Guillaume, I did your test and I've got the same problem. But when you quit everything comes back to normal. No freezes here though.
To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

Thank you Anthony,
Yes for me too, the memory is freed when I close Notepad.

Nevertheless, my system freezes when I open another picture and that I copy data when I'm short in memory (when I have not closed the first text file)

There is no swap for this short memory situation ? Or at least, avoid the memory allocation ?

7 users made this test on non x1000 systems and it works, no problem for them.

3 non beta-tests X1000 owners encounter this problem,
->
Is it a X1000 feature ? :)
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
abalaban
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by abalaban »

I've done the test myself and I can confirm the problem exists on X1000 at least on plain Update 6 and on up to date Update 6... However the problem does not show on a beta system.
AmigaOne X1000 running AOS 4 beta
AmigaOne XE/G4
Amiga 1200/PPC 603e + BVision PPC