Configuring MintPPC installation

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
mbrantley
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Configuring MintPPC installation

Post by mbrantley »

Now that I have video hardware acceleration working at last one one of the trio of Linux flavors I've tried on my X1000, I am notincing a couple of oddities about my MintPPC install. I might be better served on the MintPPC forum, but I thought I would start here to see if I am alone with this.

To start with, I want to make an adjustment so the screen does not go blank after a few minutes. In the preferences menu, the two places I might choose to start looking for this setting are Screensaver and Powerprefs, but when I choose either nothing happens. Do I have something borked with my install?

Perhaps these menu selections are pointing to things I have not installed. But just checking... on the default install should this stuff be working? Thanks!

Another oddity... in Blender 2.63, my mouse "target" is about a half inch or more above the mouse cursor. Makes it hard to work in that program.
tommysammy

Re: Configuring MintPPC installation

Post by tommysammy »

mbrantley wrote:Now that I have video hardware acceleration working at last one one of the trio of Linux flavors I've tried on my X1000, I am notincing a couple of oddities about my MintPPC install. I might be better served on the MintPPC forum, but I thought I would start here to see if I am alone with this.

To start with, I want to make an adjustment so the screen does not go blank after a few minutes. In the preferences menu, the two places I might choose to start looking for this setting are Screensaver and Powerprefs, but when I choose either nothing happens. Do I have something borked with my install?

Perhaps these menu selections are pointing to things I have not installed. But just checking... on the default install should this stuff be working? Thanks!

Another oddity... in Blender 2.63, my mouse "target" is about a half inch or more above the mouse cursor. Makes it hard to work in that program.
That problem with the mouse is here too. I don^t know it why it happen. I am no Linux expert
AmigaOne X1000 Betatester A1-X1090
AmigaOne X1000/4GB Ram/Saphire Radeon 7850 1GB/256GB SSD HD/2GB CF Card/RTL8169Network
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

Hello,
For Blender, i have the same issue than you.

For the screensaver, I had a problem to launch it, the screensaver window never opened it, neither when called by xscreensaver-demo command.

i have just reinstalled xscreensaver by synaptics and now it works.

Screensaver is running nicely, no white scrren :)

Maybe the same issue for you ?

Edit : I just realize that I don't verify the Powerprefs, I will check it tomorrow.
Edit : it seems that Powerprefs is for pbbuttonsd, a tool to configure apple keyboard (/dev/pmu who doesn't exist on x1000)
Are you sure for Powerprefs ?
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
tingo
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by tingo »

mbrantley wrote:To start with, I want to make an adjustment so the screen does not go blank after a few minutes. In the preferences menu, the two places I might choose to start looking for this setting are Screensaver and Powerprefs, but when I choose either nothing happens.
Have you tried the easy things first?
Perhaps DPMS is active as default. What does

Code: Select all

$ xset q

in a shell (as your user, not root)
tell you about DPMS?
Torfinn
mbrantley
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by mbrantley »

Guys, thanks for the responses. Sorry I have not been back to this thread earlier. I have not had an opportunity to get back into MintPPC and do any tweaking, but I expect I'll be able to do so over the weekend. I'll be sure to post back to the thread and let you know my progress.
mbrantley
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by mbrantley »

Finally got back to MintPPC. Thanks, folks, again for the suggestions in this thread. Indeed, marking xscreensaver for reinstall did solve the problem with the screen saver. Now I have disabled it complely, because it was annoying as it was previously set to blank the screen after such a short time.

Forget what I said about Powerprefs. Not related to power settings. Heh.

And best news is I found a solution for the offset mouse click in Blender. Simply press F11 to enter a fullscreen mode, and then the mouse pointer will point precisely on what you expect to click.
elginseam

Post by elginseam »

Blender: F11. So simple yet so effective.
Now I have no excuse but to learn to use it!

Thanks a lot.
A1000; A1200; A1500; Sam440ep 667MHz OS4.1; AmigaOne X1000
mbrantley
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by mbrantley »

elginseam wrote:Blender: F11. So simple yet so effective.
Now I have no excuse but to learn to use it!

Thanks a lot.
elginseam, I am glad you found that little trick helpful. I discovered it my accident -- probably while reaching for F12 to render something. Blender 2.63 with video acceleration under MintPPC is very snappy on the X1000. I just got a new Blender book to learn about the interface overhaul since the 2.4x days. Everything is in a different place, and not all the keyboad shortcuts are the same.

NEW QUESTION FOR THE X1000 LINUX CROWD:

Sound from the onboard audio chip under MintPPC is scratchy for me. Can this be fixed? Better yet, how can I enable my SoundBlaster card uunder MintPPC and use that? That's what I use with AmigaOS.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

mbrantley wrote:
elginseam wrote: Sound from the onboard audio chip under MintPPC is scratchy for me. Can this be fixed? Better yet, how can I enable my SoundBlaster card uunder MintPPC.... .
My SBLive! dosen't work with the 3.5.7 kernel either.
I looked at the emu10k1 module and I 'believe' it does not contain everything necessary to operate the soundblaster. If I get time I'll rebuild the kernel & modules to fix it, but other projects and life have prevented this thus far.

Edit:

Forget that.
I just checked my Debian distro and the SBLive is working with 3.5.7 so the problem is something with Mint. I'll be back.
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Open Sound & Video > VLC media player, then Tools > Preferences > Audio.
And see if you can select ALSA audio output and SB Live! ADC bla-bla 5.1 bla-bla for the Device.

Yes/No?
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.