Installing Linux under X1000 for the first time

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Phantom

Installing Linux under X1000 for the first time

Post by Phantom »

I'm considering to install Linux together with AmigaOS 4.1 in my X1000 system. As I really don't know nothing about Linux and its installation process (especially when it comes to install it together with AmigaOS 4.1), I would like if there's a step-by-step guide for really novice users to install Linux successfully with the minimum of fuss (if that's possible of course).

Also, as there are many Linux distros available, which one you recommend, and which one is the most supported with X1000 computer (according to drivers)?

I really need to help me here, as I don't want to mess up my current AmigaOS 4.1 system.

Just a final word, as I'm planning to install Linux on a completely separate HD.

Thanks in advance.
To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures
zappa2009

Re: Installing Linux under X1000 for the first time

Post by zappa2009 »

I use mintppc11 (based on Debian Wheezy) on my X1000 with the Kernel 3.5.7 and 4 GB Ram

The Installation is very nice written in the LinuxInstallation.pdf came with your X1000.

Just replace the old Kernel2.6.39 Files things with the Kernel3.5.7. Download it from the Aeon-Website.
X1000 RadeonHD5450 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-PC2-8500 Kingston HyperX 5-5-5-5-15 OS4.1.6 & Lubuntu13.04/mintppc11 with Kernel 3.8.7/3.9
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

Phantom wrote:I'm considering to install Linux together with AmigaOS 4.1 in my X1000 system. As I really don't know nothing about Linux and its installation process (especially when it comes to install it together with AmigaOS 4.1), I would like if there's a step-by-step guide for really novice users to install Linux successfully with the minimum of fuss (if that's possible of course).

Also, as there are many Linux distros available, which one you recommend, and which one is the most supported with X1000 computer (according to drivers)?

I really need to help me here, as I don't want to mess up my current AmigaOS 4.1 system.

Just a final word, as I'm planning to install Linux on a completely separate HD.

Thanks in advance.
I would recommend buying a cheap 2nd drive since the X1000 gas so many drive bays and install Linux on the 2nd drive, therefore leaving your Amiga OS drive alone.

I did the Linux install, the Debian Squeeze version, which was the very 1st version that Trevor wrote the install guide for.

If you follow his step by step, it worked nicely and even I was able to get it done.

Since then there have been so many new versions of Linux that work I decided to just wait it out and one day do a new install.

I only go into Linux once in a while and find I prefer sticking with Amiga, but it is nice to have options.

I would though like a linux that works on X1000 with the newer Gnome 3.x desktop. My Squeeze is not Gnome 3 but the older classic.

Not sure if any of the other flavors since made to work on the X1000 support the newer Gnome 3.6, etc...

TJ
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

Hi Anthony,
Just my experience is :
-install MintPPC
-on a partition < 6 (/dev/hda6 or more made a lot of infructuous installations before to find that partition > 5 was not recognized at boot) I never tried on a separate hard drive
-use a cf card for the kernel, the USB stick for kernel is very slow and boring (plug it AFTER CFE initialisation is a pain)
-follow the hyperion guide, very didactic
-all the x1000 components are supported (nice to see that dual core, RAM > 2gb, sound & ethernet controllers are working nice !)
-have time to install, for me 2 hours for MintPPC Beta3 Netinst.iso
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/wheez ... pc/iso-cd/
-take care to the CFE settings (bootargs and astate, don't know why but for me astate was not = A4 therefore my CPU was 500 mhz first time)
-install 2d/3d acceleration drivers
-enjoy SuperTuxKarts :)

I try too Ubuntu but no input worked at first screen
and
Debian but I don't succeed to make 2d/3d acceleration working.
-> my advice is to install mintPPC.

And at last, have fun.
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
ggw

Post by ggw »

Should I start a new thread? The title fits my situation perfectly, so I am happy to post here.
I will attempt to ask a small amount each post.
I expect after each response to read, once again, many of the other threads for hints, before returning for more help.
George Wyche
ddni

Post by ddni »

I am waiting for the new LiveCD to become available.
If I install Linux, it will be to a secondary hard drive.

A part of me is screaming NO dont do it. This is an Amiga! Keep alien OSes away from it. ;)
Christopher Follett
AmigaKit
AmigaKit

Post by Christopher Follett »

ddni wrote:A part of me is screaming NO dont do it. This is an Amiga! Keep alien OSes away from it. ;)
It does make life simpler, :).
Im still struggling to follow the guides.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
http://www.ultimateamiga.co.uk (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

http://www.amigakit.com - the Amiga store

New Products
ggw

Post by ggw »

ggw wrote:Should I start a new thread? The title fits my situation perfectly, so I am happy to post here.
I expect after each response to read, once again, many of the other threads for hints, before returning for more help.
I am further. The first thing to show up in the installation of Debian Linux is "What language?" But nothing I do has any affect other that rebooting.
Suggestions?

------------ steps taken to get that far:
I abandoned 3.8.7, deleting from the USB thumb. In its place I downloaded, ungzip-ed, untar-ed, 3.10.0-2, and dragged that appropriate file and directory to the thumbdrive. I took it out. Went into CFE. Pushed thumb into the top of my X1000. Hooray! Debian installation begins.
George Wyche
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

ggw wrote:
ggw wrote:Should I start a new thread? The title fits my situation perfectly, so I am happy to post here.
I am further. The first thing to show up in the installation of Debian Linux is "What language?" But nothing I do has any affect other that rebooting.
Suggestions?

------------ steps taken to get that far:
I abandoned 3.8.7, deleting from the USB thumb. In its place I downloaded, ungzip-ed, untar-ed, 3.10.0-2, and dragged that appropriate file and directory to the thumbdrive. I took it out. Went into CFE. Pushed thumb into the top of my X1000. Hooray! Debian installation begins.
Congratulation! :) Are you finished with your Debian installation? And what do you think about the new Kernel 3.10.0-2?

Have a lot of fun with Linux on your X1000!

Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
ggw

Post by ggw »

Am still too verbose.

I need help.
No. I did not succeed.

Why am I not able to provide any input (other than reboot) to the very first presented Debian screen which asks for language preference?
George Wyche