Strange Keyboard problem

A forum for AmigaOne XE and MicroA1-C specific issues.
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Strange Keyboard problem

Post by daz »

Hi All,

I've just replaced my full size PS2 keyboard with a mini keyboard. This is a USB keyboard but came fitted with a USB to PS2 adaptor. During boot UBoot this initialises properly. I can access the UBoot menu fine.

However once OS4.1 has loaded it stops working, well it does if it is in the PS2 port. It works fine from USB.
Sometimes I see all three indicator lights flashing slightly.

For interest is works fine through PS2 on the AROS box I also have on my switch box. (And yes I did try connecting directly to the A1 - no change)

Has anyone seen this kind of thing before? Anything I can do? I don't want to have 2 keyboards plugged in all the time.

Regards
Darren
logicalheart
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Strange Keyboard problem

Post by logicalheart »

I have tried a USB keyboard with a PS2 adapter in my AmigaOne and it does not work. I've ordered a KVM with a special PS2 cable and will try that next.
AmigaOne X-1000, and XE
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

I've also had no luck with USB keyboards and USB/PS2 adaptors. Mouses work OK through their green adaptors, but I've never found a USB keyboard to work, even through a purple adaptor.
cheers
tony
afxgroup
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by afxgroup »

I can confirm, i've only found PS2 KVM adapters that works ok with the A1, the USB KVW never works for me.
tbreeden

Post by tbreeden »

afxgroup wrote:I can confirm, i've only found PS2 KVM adapters that works ok with the A1, the USB KVW never works for me.
I finally came upon a solution that works well for switching between my A1 and Sam-flex, both with AOS 4.1.

It's an IOGear two port USB KVM, one side connected directly to the Sam's rear USBs, the other side's USB cables plugged into a very small GigaWare USB Hub with the output USB cables two USB ends (Red and Black) going to the front USB ports on the A1. The GigaWare's external power supply in not used. No PS2 used on the A1.

I was a bit surprised when it started working, but for my machines it seems to be quite reliable. The KVM has a remote switch button making it easy to switch back and forth. I should mount it on the top right of my monitor, since I keep trying to use the Amiga screen switching gadget to get to the other machines screens. :)

Tom
logicalheart
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by logicalheart »

afxgroup wrote:I can confirm, i've only found PS2 KVM adapters that works ok with the A1, the USB KVW never works for me.
That is also what my solution is, a KVM. So far it works very well, and it has modular cables for computers that use either USB or PS2.
The ATEN CS1734B
http://www.amazon.com/ATEN-4-Port-Switc ... 001AG300A/

You need to buy a separate PS2 cable for the AmigaOne XE, then everything else is done through USB.
AmigaOne XE Cable 2L5302P:
http://www.amazon.com/ATEN-Cable-Audio- ... 000623ALS/

It does work for the boot menu as well.

There is also a smaller 2-port version available, but I've not tried it.

- Lars
AmigaOne X-1000, and XE
stricq

Post by stricq »

I have used a 4 port Starview USB switcher with my A1 and it worked fine. StarTech.com The video quality from their KVMs is superb.
royleith

Post by royleith »

stricq wrote:
I have used a 4 port Starview USB switcher with my A1 and it worked fine. StarTech.com The video quality from their KVMs is superb.
I started by using a 2-Port PS/2 Belkin KVM and this was fine. After UD2 I changed to a Starview 4-Port DVI/VGA USB switch (SV431DDUSB) and this continues to be a problem. With UD2 the Kickstart load was variable and the Workbench load would force a cold restart after a second of booting. I found that I could get it to boot fully by sending a Keyboard Right Mouse Button (LAmiga/Alt Gr) during the boot and followed with a Keyboard LMB.

After UD3, it would always stall at an AmigaDOS window announcing OS4.1 Update 3 by Hyperion Entertainment. Typing the command Execute Startup-Sequence would get it to boot correctly. Also, selecting the partition in the boot screen would also work.

I tried with different mice and with mouse and keyboard not plugged in. It seems to be a feature of the KVM that is doing it. I had hoped to download a flash update, but that is not available.

The fix is not much of a problem. I have a powered USB hub in one of the ports. I let the A1XE boot to Workbench and then plug in the KVM USB lead. It registers fine and works well from then on. I just wish I had discovered this in the period of frantic keyboard bashing during the UD2 boot.

I should note that I keep a PS/2 mouse and keyboard plugged in and under the desk in case of problems.

Regards
Roy Leith
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

@royleith
Have you tried disabling Kickstart bootmouse & bootkeyboard (and adding hid, as I detailed in another thread)? This fixed my Startech KVM problems from the earliest days of AmigaOS4.1.

My Startech issue is caused by a key or mouse button almost always (incorrectly) appearing to be depressed after power on. This causes no problems on Windows, but causes me headaches on OS4.
royleith

Post by royleith »

@ChrisH
ChrisH wrote:@royleith
Have you tried disabling Kickstart bootmouse & bootkeyboard (and adding hid, as I detailed in another thread)? This fixed my Startech KVM problems from the earliest days of AmigaOS4.1.

My Startech issue is caused by a key or mouse button almost always (incorrectly) appearing to be depressed after power on. This causes no problems on Windows, but causes me headaches on OS4.
I disabled the two modules in Kicklayout with a #. Yes, yes, I worked out after trying to reboot why all the other REM lines started with ;. :oops:

The solution works absolutely fine. You did not say what thread your comment was in, and so I don't know what you mean by adding the hid. Nothing seems to have gone wrong and so I assume that keyboards and pointers are added by default in UD3. Please give more directions to your other thread.

Oh yes, and thanks!

Regards
Roy Leith