Time does not save + few more SAM460 and OS4.1 update 4 que.

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
djnykk

Time does not save + few more SAM460 and OS4.1 update 4 que.

Post by djnykk »

Hi guys

I have 3 very important questions how to set up my SAM460ex and OS4.1 to:

-1- Save time [!] For some reason it has correct tome until I "grab it" '[get it] from online site, and it "works" well untill I turn Amiga off. Next time - clock counts time the moment I turn off Amiga :(

I am sure some boot prefs has to be changed - but what to type and which one?

-2- How on Earth I can add to archive selected files [either from Filer or from AmigaOS windows]??? Right click on Win7 shows standard - Add to archive [.rar or .zip]... How to archive files or directory on Amiga? I must be blind but it is the most wanted thing I am searching for last 3-4 days...?!

-3- Is there a newer version of Filer? My Favorite? Or is there possibility to every standard AmigaOS can become Filer on a click of a button? Filer copy / paste does not work to AmigaOS windows and vice versa and it is really... more than annoying. Like my mind is splitted and I have to decide what to do and plan in advance what I need to do...

And at the end - OS4 is not stable. It keeps freezing from time to time randomly. I heard / read on forums that it is up to OS4.1 update 4. and SAM460ex motherboards..

I hope next update will come sooner. I am not very creative now even I am dying to do something good and represent it on Youtube!
samo79

Re: Time does not save + few more SAM460 and OS4.1 update 4

Post by samo79 »

djnykk wrote:-2- How on Earth I can add to archive selected files [either from Filer or from AmigaOS windows]??? Right click on Win7 shows standard - Add to archive [.rar or .zip]... How to archive files or directory on Amiga? I must be blind but it is the most wanted thing I am searching for last 3-4 days...?!
To archive your file you can use the lha command (availible in C) but only via shell ..
However you can also use the built-in (check your contribs folder) Directory Opus 4 program as it has a proper functionality for making any type of lha/zip archive easly

Finally have a look on OS4Depot, there are many utility for archive files
djnykk wrote:-3- Is there a newer version of Filer? My Favorite? Or is there possibility to every standard AmigaOS can become Filer on a click of a button? Filer copy / paste does not work to AmigaOS windows and vice versa and it is really... more than annoying. Like my mind is splitted and I have to decide what to do and plan in advance what I need to do...
Currently copy and paste only work inside the Filer in itself (Filer is not an official component by the way) so you must decide if:

1 - Use Filer only to manage your files (or Directory Opus as alternative)
2 - Still with Workbench as it can already handle any type of copy and paste functionality (using context menu)

BTW latest version of Filer is 53.31:

http://os4depot.net/index.php?function= ... /filer.lha
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Re your question #1: I don't understand what you are doing.

Are you saying that the time is correct until you "Get time" from the remote server? Does it go wrong then? If so, then you must have the wrong TZ set. What does the "Offset" say in the "Remote" page of Prefs/Time?

If you click "Save" in the "Remote" window of Prefs/Time, it should save the time in your machine's clock. It saves the time in UTC, so if the machine displays the wrong time when you reboot, your Locale and timezone must be wrong.

It is also possible that the clock battery is bad, but that would affect other things as well, so that is unlikely.
cheers
tony
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

tonyw wrote:If you click "Save" in the "Remote" window of Prefs/Time, it should save the time in your machine's clock. It saves the time in UTC, so if the machine displays the wrong time when you reboot, your Locale and timezone must be wrong.
No, I do believe AmigaOS saves it as the currently displayed local time (as opposed to what e.g. Linux does), but the time zone is still crucial to get right, or at least the same when saving and loading.

Best regards,

Niels