Radeon HD 6850 in X1000

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
mbrantley
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Radeon HD 6850 in X1000

Post by mbrantley »

Hey, folks. I've tried a couple of HD 6850 cards in my X1000 and I have not been met with success. The latest card (tried just now) happens to be the very same single-slot PowerColor Radeon HD6850 used by Trevor and remarked on in his blog entry. Since that's a card known to work, I'm certain I must be doing something wrong.

Sympton: After the bootup menu screen the red bard begins its advance across the bottom of the X1000 logo screen. When the red bar reaches the end at the right, everything stops. The AmigaOS 4.1 logo screen never appears.

This is the same with and without additional graphics cards installed. It's true too with only the 6850 installed. I am using the new .49 release of the Radeon driver, and in devs/monitors I have Radeon HD 6 just as detailed by Trevor.

Have I missed something obvious?

As an aside, I've also tried a HD 5770 card and that worked perfectly.
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Radeon HD 6850 in X1000

Post by Hans »

mbrantley wrote:Have I missed something obvious?
Did you update the firmware (i.e., CFE) to the latest version? There was a problem with older versions of CFE that prevented Radeon HD 6000 series cards from working.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.
mbrantley
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by mbrantley »

Thanks for the speedy reply, Hans. My X1000 was delivered to me on June 27 and I was under the impression it had the latest firmware. However that could be a mistaken impression. I'll check and see and report back.
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

mbrantley wrote:Thanks for the speedy reply, Hans. My X1000 was delivered to me on June 27 and I was under the impression it had the latest firmware. However that could be a mistaken impression. I'll check and see and report back.
The latest firmware has this screen display. If you see the old A-EON logo you do not have the latest firmware installed.

Trevor
Attachments
X1000bootgfx.gif
Early boot screen - latest firmware
(218.5 KiB) Downloaded 3184 times
I'm just Breezin'
mbrantley
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by mbrantley »

Thanks, Trevor. I definitely do not have the latest then. Just found my version is PAS-2.0.30. Off to A-Eon site to download latest and install instructions.

I've had a few oddball problems with graphics cards as I've attempted some things, and maybe the firmware has been the problem all along. Will report back!
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

mbrantley wrote:Thanks, Trevor. I definitely do not have the latest then. Just found my version is PAS-2.0.30. Off to A-Eon site to download latest and install instructions.

I've had a few oddball problems with graphics cards as I've attempted some things, and maybe the firmware has been the problem all along. Will report back!
This brings up another question, I have the latest firmware installed, Ranger says version PAS-2.0.30, mbrantley said CFE gives the same rev, yet he had the old version. Shouldn't they show a different version to make it easier to tell?

Ken
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
mbrantley
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by mbrantley »

The firmware upgrade is done and now the 6850 card is working. Thank you!

It's odd that Ranger and the printenv command reported to me that I had CFE version PAS-2.0.3.00 both before and after the firmware upgrade. Is that not the firmware version? Maybe it's not. But I definitely see the new A-Eon logo screen now and did not before.

I now have the 6850 and 5770 cards both installed, but the 5770 screenmodes are not showing up. I have one monitor named Radeon HD 6 and the other Radeon HD 5. The latter worked previously when I had a 9250 card installed in a PCI slot as well as the 5770, but the 9250 card is not currently fitted. (And its driver has been moved to storage/monitors.)

Also, with both cards fitted the A-Eon logo has blue instead of red lettering via the 9850 card. With the 5770 card removed the coloring is the correct red. This corrects itself by the time the AOS4.1 logo appears.
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

mbrantley wrote:The firmware upgrade is done and now the 6850 card is working. Thank you!

It's odd that Ranger and the printenv command reported to me that I had CFE version PAS-2.0.3.00 both before and after the firmware upgrade. Is that not the firmware version? Maybe it's not. But I definitely see the new A-Eon logo screen now and did not before.

I now have the 6850 and 5770 cards both installed, but the 5770 screenmodes are not showing up. I have one monitor named Radeon HD 6 and the other Radeon HD 5. The latter worked previously when I had a 9250 card installed in a PCI slot as well as the 5770, but the 9250 card is not currently fitted. (And its driver has been moved to storage/monitors.)

Also, with both cards fitted the A-Eon logo has blue instead of red lettering via the 9850 card. With the 5770 card removed the coloring is the correct red. This corrects itself by the time the AOS4.1 logo appears.
Glad you managed to update the firmware OK. Please check the dual graphics cards docs on the A-EON website which should guide you through setting up both Monitor drivers so you can see the screenmodes of both cards.

I also have the blue colour effect on the early boot screen with two cards installed (also mentioned in the guide).

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
kicko

Post by kicko »

Didnt know about this firmware update. But i saw the file was there while downloading the radeon driver so i downloaded it too but as said didnt know it was an update. Ill update it tonight or tomorrow.

Anyone knows what the news/changes are ? Also news/changes for radeon ?. Dont have to be deep changelogs just small info.
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

kicko wrote:Didnt know about this firmware update. But i saw the file was there while downloading the radeon driver so i downloaded it too but as said didnt know it was an update. Ill update it tonight or tomorrow.

Anyone knows what the news/changes are ? Also news/changes for radeon ?. Dont have to be deep changelogs just small info.
The firmware update was mainly to correct a graphics glitch on the early start up screen with 9250 gfx cards for a dual booting configuration. However, it also (fortunately) fixed a problem with RadeonHD 6xxx series cards. See the Dual gfx card docs for more information.

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'