Can minimized apps shrink to right side of desktop?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
amigasociety

Can minimized apps shrink to right side of desktop?

Post by amigasociety »

I have made my AmiDock left side of screen and moved the workbench hard drive icons to right of screen instead. Kind of like Unity Desktop or Gnome 3.4 Desktop found in Linux, the dock is left centric.

Problem is when I minimize an app icon like TuneNet it shrinks to left side of screen behind the dock or too near the dock.

I would prefer all minimized icons to shrink down to icon on the right of my workbench.

Is this possible?

tj
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
cha05e90

Re: Can minimized apps shrink to right side of desktop?

Post by cha05e90 »

amigasociety wrote:Kind of like Unity Desktop or Gnome 3.4 Desktop found in Linux
Naa, this is "like AmigaOS/Workbench 1.3". :-) With Release 2.0 the default drive icon etc. side changed to the left side. AFAIK there's no "option" to switch between different default behaviours. This might be a feature request for future Workbench versions (i.e. left, right, top, buttom...).
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
thomasrapp

Post by thomasrapp »

If your application supports snapshot you can save the position on the right side.

Or you could put AmiDock to the right and keep the icons on the left.
BillEaves
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by BillEaves »

Hi TJ,
amigasociety wrote: Problem is when I minimize an app icon like TuneNet it shrinks to left side of screen behind the dock or too near the dock.
I would prefer all minimized icons to shrink down to icon on the right of my workbench.
Is this possible?
tj
Applications that iconify to an icon on the desktop you have no control over. That is one of the features that DOPus Magellan had that has not (as yet) been implimented in the OS4 desktop. It would be good to have the ability to choose an area where appicons can appear or more usefully cannot appear.

However, for applications that minimise to an icon in AmiDock, you have a LOT of control. I have such Amidock AppDockies on the right hand side, moving upwards as new ones are added.

The trick in NOT to have these icons open in your main Amidock, my main Amidock is set to bottom left of the screen. I created another AmiDock calles Apps (for AppIcons or AppDockies) and have it set to snap to the right of the screen, and placed it in position with the dragbar set at the bottom.

In the AmiDock prefs you can select the Dock where you want AppDockies to appear. Just use the cycle gadget to choose the new AmiDock once you have set it up.

Bill.
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

@amigasociety
Rather than fighting against Workbench putting icons on the left side, why not let it do what it wants, and instead put AmiDock on the right side of the screen? (Yes, it would be nice if icons could default to where-ever you want. I guess we can add that to Workbench's "wish list".)
xenic

Post by xenic »

ChrisH wrote:@amigasociety
Rather than fighting against Workbench putting icons on the left side, why not let it do what it wants, and instead put AmiDock on the right side of the screen? (Yes, it would be nice if icons could default to where-ever you want. I guess we can add that to Workbench's "wish list".)
While we're at it let's add proper icon alighment to the "wish list". On my system the TuneNet icon has the first letter of the name off-screen on the left. The same applies to other icons with long names.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

amigasociety wrote:I have made my AmiDock left side of screen and moved the workbench hard drive icons to right of screen instead. Kind of like Unity Desktop or Gnome 3.4 Desktop found in Linux, the dock is left centric.

Problem is when I minimize an app icon like TuneNet it shrinks to left side of screen behind the dock or too near the dock.

Is this possible?

tj
You can have AmiDock let applications "shrink" to a given app docky

AmiDock
At the bottom in "General"
There you have a "Place AppDockies in:" and a slider field.
You need to add a docky which you can lock to the left side of the screen, name it and after choosing it from the slider all "supported" appicons will be sorted into this special dock.

Works like a charm here and all (most) appicons are gone

To give you an idea on how it could look, see here

The four bottom right icons are four programs running iconified :-)
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg