the new OS filesystems...and partition resizing...

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: the new OS filesystems...and partition resizing...

Post by Slayer »

Belxjander wrote: Thanks... If AmigaOS doesn't support reiserfs now then someone (me?) may have to get a start on making it and other options happen instead of relying only on the core system developers...
I believe with an attitude like this your accumulated brownie point indicator took a giant leap forward ;)

Sounds like a useful endevour too, so good luck with that one, I'm sure they will help you with any queries.
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Belxjander

Post by Belxjander »

@Slayer -

Well... I can write Applications or System Libraries... but I have a serious lack of knowledge when it comes to the internals of Device Drivers or FileSystem Handlers...

those are two areas I never really got to explore in the AOS3.x system, So if any existing developer is happy to answer a whole bundle of questions in regards to either... then I'll be a whole lot more willing to try...
I'll stick to the libraries I am working on for right now at least...

I saw you are also in New Zealand?

I'm in the "rock'n'roll" city of Christchurch at the moment, if you want to ever meet up in person...

I know I will definitely be showing off with the sam440flex I have acquired in Japan when I get back there...
might try and get myself a Solar-power kit I can run it off of as well as some kind of battery for the picoPSU I got to use with it

Hopefully I don't break too many things in trying to deal with UTF8 string conversion from the ASCII input off the normal keyboard

Once the machine does arrive and I sign off from the postman, I'll definitely be putting the Japanese 106 Keys map for AOS4 I have written up already through its paces to make sure it is 100% usable for the standard Japanese layout.

that shouldn't take too long but I may have to ask about the extra 4 Japanese keys in the layout if they don't respond
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Some how I don't think this will work. Once you put the SLB on the Drive you will loose the MBR partitioning so not be able to find the Linux partition. You need a second drive with SLB or Partenthope and then install Linux for the Sam on the second drive then you should be able to read the Linux partition from Linux on the Sam once you dont mess with the MBR.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
Belxjander

Post by Belxjander »

Spectre660 wrote:Some how I don't think this will work. Once you put the SLB on the Drive you will loose the MBR partitioning so not be able to find the Linux partition. You need a second drive with SLB or Partenthope and then install Linux for the Sam on the second drive then you should be able to read the Linux partition from Linux on the Sam once you dont mess with the MBR.
the drive in question is the second drive, I will have a 160GB "boot" drive and would like to convert this drive for use on the sam440flex possibly dealing with how "alien" the reiserfs image inside the partition is at a later time.

there is no requirement or need of the SLB to be installed onto this drive at all... where did you get the idea I would be installing anything to the drive?

your the third person whom has mentioned "installation" of anything at all... why? just conversion of the partition tables at the beginning of the drive from PC-MBR to RDB formatting is the entire goal, there is *nothing* about installation, reformatting or anything else... it would be similar to picking up an entire AFFS image and putting copies of it into newly defined partitions and then just needing to later apply some kind of "fix" tool to deal with having moved/copied the existing disk image without changing anything other than the partition structures describing where it is.

that is how I see it at least.
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Looks like the horse has died.

You said in your first post

"If this all works properly... I am hopeful of booting up AmigaOS 4.x and retaining all the data currently stored in that ReiserFS partition while using the drive itself for AmigaOS"

Good luck to you on this one.

Belxjander wrote:
Spectre660 wrote:Some how I don't think this will work. Once you put the SLB on the Drive you will loose the MBR partitioning so not be able to find the Linux partition. You need a second drive with SLB or Partenthope and then install Linux for the Sam on the second drive then you should be able to read the Linux partition from Linux on the Sam once you dont mess with the MBR.
the drive in question is the second drive, I will have a 160GB "boot" drive and would like to convert this drive for use on the sam440flex possibly dealing with how "alien" the reiserfs image inside the partition is at a later time.

there is no requirement or need of the SLB to be installed onto this drive at all... where did you get the idea I would be installing anything to the drive?

your the third person whom has mentioned "installation" of anything at all... why? just conversion of the partition tables at the beginning of the drive from PC-MBR to RDB formatting is the entire goal, there is *nothing* about installation, reformatting or anything else... it would be similar to picking up an entire AFFS image and putting copies of it into newly defined partitions and then just needing to later apply some kind of "fix" tool to deal with having moved/copied the existing disk image without changing anything other than the partition structures describing where it is.

that is how I see it at least.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
cha05e90

Post by cha05e90 »

Belxjander wrote:the drive in question is the second drive, I will have a 160GB "boot" drive and would like to convert this drive ....
there is no requirement or need of the SLB to be installed onto this drive at all...
So, what is it? A "boot" drive? Then you have to install the SLB. If it's not a boot drive, but a second HD without the need to boot from, then you might be lucky. BTW: There's no RDB on OS4.x-prepped HDs anymore. The SLB (sic) loads the filesystem kickstart module from a (f.ex.) SFS formatted HD (SFS is readable by UBoot itself).
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
ZeroG

Post by ZeroG »

@cha05e90

There is a RDB on OS4.x-prepped HDs and the partition table is stored there.
For OS4.x Classic it still contains 68k-filesystems to read the OS4.x kickstart but for all other OS4 platforms it contains the SLB and no filesystems.
Belxjander

Post by Belxjander »

cha05e90 wrote:
Belxjander wrote:the drive in question is the second drive, I will have a 160GB "boot" drive and would like to convert this drive ....
there is no requirement or need of the SLB to be installed onto this drive at all...
So, what is it? A "boot" drive? Then you have to install the SLB. If it's not a boot drive, but a second HD without the need to boot from, then you might be lucky. BTW: There's no RDB on OS4.x-prepped HDs anymore. The SLB (sic) loads the filesystem kickstart module from a (f.ex.) SFS formatted HD (SFS is readable by UBoot itself).
I'll have 2 drives in the machine,

1x 160GB "boot" drive << this is coming with the motherboard,
1x 500GB "data" drive << this is the drive currently in-use with PC-MBR partition schema that I want to convert.

I'll be preparing the "boot" drive on its own initially then adding the 500GB drive as a data drive after moving everything I want from the windows installation over to the Amiga so that I can consider the NTFS partition entirely "deletable"...

the only change to the drive I am wanting to do is change the PC-MBR schema on the 500GB drive to an RDB schema, and to do without any kind of "formatting"/"installation" or other higher level assumptions.

just read the PC-MBR and re-write the first 64 blocks of content with a valid RDB schema, the catch being to retain the defined reiserfs partition locations without major incident or data loss.

I've got ~96MB of space on the drive at the beginning that is currently unused (I used gparted to validly relocate the reiserfs partition and free that up "just in case" so that there is no clobbering the header data within the filesystem itself.

Are there any standard libraries with RDB schema read/write functionality usable such as the HdWrench.library used for the 3.5/3.9 HDToolbox ? because I am more than willing to write a "ConvertPartitionSchema" tool myself for this.

I'd just like to do so where the results would not be catastrophic data loss (at this point even just killing the PC-MBR and writing an empty RDB to start with would be okay too... since I can "recover" any of the reiserfs partition content with the tools I already have)
thomasrapp

Post by thomasrapp »

Belxjander wrote:the only change to the drive I am wanting to do is change the PC-MBR schema on the 500GB drive to an RDB schema, and to do without any kind of "formatting"/"installation" or other higher level assumptions.

just read the PC-MBR and re-write the first 64 blocks of content with a valid RDB schema, the catch being to retain the defined reiserfs partition locations without major incident or data loss.
It shouldn't be too difficult to do this manually. Giggledisk should give you the required data to enter into MediaToolbox.
Are there any standard libraries with RDB schema read/write functionality usable such as the HdWrench.library used for the 3.5/3.9 HDToolbox ? because I am more than willing to write a "ConvertPartitionSchema" tool myself for this.
RDB structures are documented in devices/hardblocks.h. Here is an example program for reading the RDB and creating a mount list: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=784290&postcount=8
You just need to to the opposite.
I'd just like to do so where the results would not be catastrophic data loss (at this point even just killing the PC-MBR and writing an empty RDB to start with would be okay too... since I can "recover" any of the reiserfs partition content with the tools I already have)
You cannot lose any data as long as you only use MediaToolbox and similar tools. Unlike Windows, deleting or creating a partition in MediaToolbox only deletes or creates the partition table entry and does not write to the actual partition.
Belxjander

Post by Belxjander »

thomasrapp wrote:
Belxjander wrote:the only change to the drive I am wanting to do is change the PC-MBR schema on the 500GB drive to an RDB schema, and to do without any kind of "formatting"/"installation" or other higher level assumptions.

It shouldn't be too difficult to do this manually. Giggledisk should give you the required data to enter into MediaToolbox.
RDB structures are documented in devices/hardblocks.h. Here is an example program for reading the RDB and creating a mount list: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=784290&postcount=8
You just need to to the opposite.
You cannot lose any data as long as you only use MediaToolbox and similar tools. Unlike Windows, deleting or creating a partition in MediaToolbox only deletes or creates the partition table entry and does not write to the actual partition.
Excellent to know!!! I'll pull the information about the drive using Giggledisk and then enter the partition information using MediaToolbox