[SOLVED] IPrefs looking for non existant Volume/Assign..

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
gerograph

[SOLVED] IPrefs looking for non existant Volume/Assign..

Post by gerograph »

Hello,

I just loaded some prefs from my old SAM440 OS4.1 (here:Screen.prefs) into my new X1000 OS4.1upd5 installation. After saving "Screen Prefs" I am getting a message "Need Volume WB4:"....

Seems logical as I my System Partition was called "WB4" on my old SAM. Seems there are some WB4: left instead of SYS:. However, I tried to change every path inside "Screens Prefs" to "SYS:....", but I still get the above message. Where else can/do I have to change the path ? Of course I could overcome by "Assign WB4: ...." in User-Startup, but I'd rather do it properly !

Thanx for hints

Edit: SOLVED !!!
Last edited by gerograph on Mon May 14, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raziel

Re: IPrefs looking for non existant Volume/Assign..

Post by Raziel »

gerograph wrote:Hello,

I just loaded some prefs from my old SAM440 OS4.1 (here:Screen.prefs) into my new X1000 OS4.1upd5 installation. After saving "Screen Prefs" I am getting a message "Need Volume WB4:"....

Seems logical as I my System Partition was called "WB4" on my old SAM. Seems there are some WB4: left instead of SYS:. However, I tried to change every path inside "Screens Prefs" to "SYS:....", but I still get the above message. Where else can/do I have to change the path ? Of course I could overcome by "Assign WB4: ...." in User-Startup, but I'd rather do it properly !

Thanx for hints
Open "Find" (WB-pull-down menu/Window/Last Entry)
Click "None"
Click "Add path"
CD to "Envarc:Sys" and click OK
Type "WB4:" into the "Contents" field and "Start"

Most of the .prefs files are either XML nowadays or iff form (whatever that means)
Find will give you all files with the string inside (readable) and you can start altering them with the corresponding preferences program

You "could" also change the path by hand with Notepad, but i'd refrain from that because it might make the .prefs file unreadable
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
MichaelMerkel
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by MichaelMerkel »

gerograph wrote:Hello,

Thanx for hints
check the gui prefs inside screens prefs.
anyway - the SYStem partition should be accessed with SYS: and not with the label or partition name. this makes life easier.

regards...
michael
Michael Merkel :lol:
(Member of Amiga Freunde Pfalz)
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

gerograph wrote:Seems there are some WB4: left instead of SYS:. However, I tried to change every path inside "Screens Prefs" to "SYS:....", but I still get the above message. Where else can/do I have to change the path ?
In my experience, likely places are wbpattern.prefs and the AmiDock XML configuration file. Maybe (references to) WBPattern settings can be part of the screens.prefs? Not sure.

But like Raziel suggests, using Find should help.

Best regards,

Niels
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Yeah, AmiDock is annoying. When you drag something into it, it always stores the full path to the destination, including the volume name.

Whenever you drag something from the system disk (like a Commodity or docky) into AmiDock, you have to go in and edit the path from the volume name to SYS:.
cheers
tony
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

tonyw wrote:Yeah, AmiDock is annoying. When you drag something into it, it always stores the full path to the destination, including the volume name.

Whenever you drag something from the system disk (like a Commodity or docky) into AmiDock, you have to go in and edit the path from the volume name to SYS:.
This sounds like it would make a good bug/enhancement report to me ;-)
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
colinw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by colinw »

Raziel wrote:
tonyw wrote:Yeah, AmiDock is annoying. When you drag something into it, it always stores the full path to the destination, including the volume name.

This sounds like it would make a good bug/enhancement report to me ;-)

This is a good option to add to the function that builds the full paths, i'll consider a new flag for this feature.
Thanks.
xenic

Post by xenic »

colinw wrote: This is a good option to add to the function that builds the full paths, i'll consider a new flag for this feature.
Thanks.
Please consider it carefully since SYS: is an assignment that can be changed by the user. Would you want to use SYS: to build the full path if it doesn't point to the boot partition?
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

xenic wrote:Please consider it carefully since SYS: is an assignment that can be changed by the user. Would you want to use SYS: to build the full path if it doesn't point to the boot partition?
Yes.

The whole point of SYS: is to point to the root of the current boot partition. If anybody is mad enough to move the assignment "in mid-air" to something else, they are on their own for all other sorts of reasons. Weighed against all the (intended) benefits of being able to store paths in relation to whichever boot partition is the "live" one, I'd say sod 'em.

Best regards,

Niels
gerograph

Post by gerograph »

@nbache
agree... SYS: should always be your bootpartition.

@all
thanks for help, some of the screens had their own GUI Prefs... that's where it was hidden. However I might have mocked (spelling ??) something up or have a faulty preinstall - see my other threads. So I'll reinstall. Before I continue to costomize OS 4.1 on X1000. I'll put this one [SOLVED].

AmiDock wasn't transfered, yet. So this task/problem will occur later...