bsdsocket.library not able to open after netshutdown

A forum for AmigaOne XE and MicroA1-C specific issues.
Raziel

bsdsocket.library not able to open after netshutdown

Post by Raziel »

After i do a manual netshutdown, c:addnetinterface can't open bsdsocket.library anymore

Steps to reproduce:

1) c:netshutdown
Waiting for network to shut down...finished.
2)) c:addnetinterface (it doesn't matter if i give a working interface file or not, this command will always answer with...)
c:addnetinterface: Failed to open "bsdsocket.library" V4.

version bsdsocket.library full
bsdsocket.library 4.302 (13.09.2010)

It's there, but it can't open it, which leaves me, after a netshutdown, only with the option to reboot if i want internet back
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
xenic

Re: bsdsocket.library not able to open after netshutdown

Post by xenic »

@Raziel
I just tested addnetinterface/netshutdown several times and it works on my SAM. Maybe it's an A1 issue or a problem on your system. When I enter netshutdown, RoadShow sends a break signal to all my Internet apps that have bsdsocket.library open and they close. Maybe you have an Internet App or utility that has bsdsocket.library (and maybe a connection) open but isn't responding to the break signal.

EDIT: While testing the date command in response to your other topic, I discovered that NetShutdown doesn't seem to work or work properly after I've run a "date SERVER..." command. You might try removing or disabling the date command in your startup-sequence to see if that has any effect on your ability to restart your network.
Last edited by xenic on Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
thomasrapp

Post by thomasrapp »

I am sure that I used NetShutdown followed by AddNetInterface on my A1 previously, so it cannot be a general A1 issue.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

xenic wrote:@Raziel
I just tested addnetinterface/netshutdown several times and it works on my SAM. Maybe it's an A1 issue or a problem on your system. When I enter netshutdown, RoadShow sends a break signal to all my Internet apps that have bsdsocket.library open and they close. Maybe you have an Internet App or utility that has bsdsocket.library (and maybe a connection) open but isn't responding to the break signal.

EDIT: While testing the date command in response to your other topic, I discovered that NetShutdown doesn't seem to work or work properly after I've run a "date SERVER..." command. You might try removing or disabling the date command in your startup-sequence to see if that has any effect on your ability to restart your network.
Yes, i'm in the process of removing third party progs from WBStartup (which access internet) to see if i can find the culprit.

c:date server prefs isn't :-(
I commented it out from u-s but after WB is up still the same error message.

I'll get back to you guys

Thanks so far
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Bah, it's far better to sit infront of the miggy :-)

The problem was a third-party program called "Granite" (a little firewall commodity which can easily be maintained) which is not respecting the break signal...it stays open inheriting bsdsocket.library

I informed the author

Sorry for the hassle and sorry for blaming the OS

But THANK YOU for the hints and the help :-)
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
xenic

Post by xenic »

@Raziel
After some more testing it appears that C:Date wasn't a problem on my system either. I'm glad you tracked down the problem program on your system but now I still need to determine which program on my system is interfering with proper netshutdown.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

xenic wrote:@Raziel
After some more testing it appears that C:Date wasn't a problem on my system either. I'm glad you tracked down the problem program on your system but now I still need to determine which program on my system is interfering with proper netshutdown.
Its probably something sitting there doing quietly anything its supposed to do :-)

Have you checked WBStartup and U-S...you probably already have? :-)

You could always post U-S and your WBStartup file list here...four eyes do see more than two ;-)
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
xenic

Post by xenic »

@ Raziel
It doesn't appear to be anything run by user-startup or WBStartup. I think it's another program I was running while trying to diagnose the problem. I had enough network shutdowns & restarts for now so I'll work on it later.