Installing a Multi-Function Floppy/Card Reader

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
darkon_turas

Installing a Multi-Function Floppy/Card Reader

Post by darkon_turas »

i purchased a Bytecc Xtreme Digital Media Drive into my system. Currently it is hooked up to nothing outside of the power cable while it waits for a new Catweasel to replace the discontinued MK4 Plus.

Currently i can't find any Catweasels for sale - no biggie at the moment as there are no free PCI slots to put it until they make the drivers for the onboard NIC and sound. If anyone knows where they still have any Catweasel MK4 Plus cards available, please let me know.

In the meantime, I have questions relating to the card reader function of this drive:
1) Will AmigaOS 4.1 support the card reader?
2) If so, I don't see any free internal USB headers, I would like to know if plugging a NZXT IU01 Internal USB Expansion into the header and using it to connect both the front ports and the card reader to it will work. I doubt that drivers will be an issue as its just a hub. However I see an USB 3.0 port on the front, so I'm wondering if this device will kill that functionality.

If I can't hook it up internally, I'll check to see if there is a male header to USB A cable and run it out to one of the back ports.
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Installing a Multi-Function Floppy/Card Reader

Post by daz »

darkon_turas wrote:i purchased a Bytecc Xtreme Digital Media Drive into my system. Currently it is hooked up to nothing outside of the power cable while it waits for a new Catweasel to replace the discontinued MK4 Plus.

Currently i can't find any Catweasels for sale - no biggie at the moment as there are no free PCI slots to put it until they make the drivers for the onboard NIC and sound. If anyone knows where they still have any Catweasel MK4 Plus cards available, please let me know.

In the meantime, I have questions relating to the card reader function of this drive:
1) Will AmigaOS 4.1 support the card reader?
There is a good change of that it will. I have something similar attached to my X1000, but as with all things USB there are many different card reader chipset, the only way for you to know will be to attach it to your machine.
2) If so, I don't see any free internal USB headers, I would like to know if plugging a NZXT IU01 Internal USB Expansion into the header and using it to connect both the front ports and the card reader to it will work. I doubt that drivers will be an issue as its just a hub. However I see an USB 3.0 port on the front, so I'm wondering if this device will kill that functionality.
I've heard of these although I have no information on how they work in Amigaone X1000's
If I can't hook it up internally, I'll check to see if there is a male header to USB A cable and run it out to one of the back ports.
Yes, Amigakit sell them at very reasonable prices, both single and dual.

Hope this helps
Darren
Severin
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Severin »

it should work with no problems, I have one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005 ... 00_details (yes, 2 of them for less than £4 inc delivery) in my X1000 on the header pins near the sata ports. works fine and if a £2 ($3) one works yours should.
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

I also use a multicard reader on my AmigaONE X1000. However, I just connect it to one of the USB ports on the front of the AmigaONE tower case. (mainly to copy experimental Debian Squeeze & Wheezy kernels to the CF card before inserting the card into the the internal Compact Flash card slot.

TrevorD
I'm just Breezin'
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

darkon_turas wrote: 2) If so, I don't see any free internal USB headers, I would like to know if plugging a NZXT IU01 Internal USB Expansion into the header and using it to connect both the front ports and the card reader to it will work. I doubt that drivers will be an issue as its just a hub. However I see an USB 3.0 port on the front, so I'm wondering if this device will kill that functionality.

That looks like what I bought (see here), and for the same purpose as you. I have no problems with it so far, BUT I do not use USB heavily.

It is a very nice piece of kit, but I think that stopped producing it, or at least the version I have.
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

@darkon_turas,

Please let us know when you have the combination floppy drive/USB card reader hooked up and if it is working. I want to buy one of those while they still have them in stock, because I do have a Catweasel Mk4 sitting here waiting for an available PCI slot to free up, when either the Sound or Ethernet drivers are finished.

In the meantime it would be nice to have the card reader portion of the device working, so let us know if at least the USB connection is working and you can read/write to all of the card reader slots.

Edit: Just read the one review on the Amazon site for this product and it was very negative. Can you read it darkon_turas and tell me if you agree with any of the statements made in the review, or if you disagree with some, or all of the review? I don't want to buy one of these to use with my Catweasel Mk4 if it is a piece of crap and I can find a better quality unit that has the same features, or even more card slots.
Proud owner of 10+ Commodore Amiga 680x0 computers
First Contact AmigaOne X1000 Dual Core 1.8GHz PA6T w/OS4.1FE
Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 PMac MDD w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 MacMini w/MorphOS3.7
17" 1.67GHz G4 PBooks w/MorphOS3.7
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
FPGA Arcade Replay w/AmigaOS3.x