Questions from a new X1000 owner and new OS4.x user

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
amigasociety

Re: Questions from a new X1000 owner and new OS4.x user

Post by amigasociety »

trevordick wrote:
I looked for the OS4.1.5 install CD/DVD, but one was not included in my shipment. So I can't even do a clean re-install to start over.
According to AmigaKit the CD's should be in soon, however I believe they included a copy of the AmigaOS4.1 Update 5 iso on the Workbench of "First Contact" systems. Use AmiDVD to burn this iso to a CD-ROM. You can also mount the iso under OS4 without buring it to a CD (to copy files etc).

Trevor
You know where they put this iso? I am not finding it myself.

TJ
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

You could try the Find function in the window drop down menu of the workbench title bar

Once open deselect everything except WORK and resize the window so it's wider and deeper

enter in the Pattern field something like

.iso

the dot infront of iso is important since there are quite a few files with iso in the string

OR

.lha (it might reside in archived form so you'll need to unarchive it with unarc first before burning it)

others search keywords could be (only enter one in the field at a time)

X1000
install
installCD
amigaos

some keywords will give more hits than just the iso image you're looking for but it shouldn't be too much trouble to scan through the list and see if you've found it, just remember the location so you can click through to the path from AmiDVD later
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

I dont think AmigaKit included an ISO of 4.1.5 on the hard drive, but I suggested that they do so for all future X1000s they ship out, until they have the Real OS4.1.5 CD/DVDs available to ship with each system.

This is my first message to this forum using my X1000.

Thanks to AmigaKit and others who helped with the info I needed to fix the screen resolution problem that was created when I selected the Detect Settings Automatically check box in the Monitors Tab of the Screen Mode preferences program. FYI, when you check that box, and accept all of the requesters to change your preferences and reboot with that check box selected, the Monitors Tab of the Screen Mode Preferences program is then grayed out, so you cannot go back into the Monitors Tab to uncheck that box. Maybe one of the beta testers wants to test this behavior, and if it is a bug, report it to the developers.

Having 1680x1050 resolution on my 20¨monitor is a nice change and makes for a lot of room to work with. Some day I will get an even bigger LCD monitor so I can run OS4.1.5 in true 1080 HD resolution.

Now I am ready to back up my system, before I start downloading and installing more software. One of my first downloads will be Timberwolf, but I also want to see how OWB-MUI compares to the OWB that I am using to post this from. From what I have read over the last few months, I am guessing that OWB-MUI is the best browser for OS4.1.5 at the moment, but if anyone feels otherwise, please tell me what your favorite browser is for OS4, and why you feel that way.

@amigasociety, I think the X1000 is very quiet. Not silent, and maybe not as quiet as a G4 MacMini, but still very acceptable, IMHO.
Proud owner of 10+ Commodore Amiga 680x0 computers
First Contact AmigaOne X1000 Dual Core 1.8GHz PA6T w/OS4.1FE
Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 PMac MDD w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 MacMini w/MorphOS3.7
17" 1.67GHz G4 PBooks w/MorphOS3.7
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
FPGA Arcade Replay w/AmigaOS3.x
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

AmigaDave wrote:
@amigasociety, I think the X1000 is very quiet. Not silent, and maybe not as quiet as a G4 MacMini, but still very acceptable, IMHO.
The Mac Mini I was referencing is a 2010 Intel based Mini, dead silent almost like the original Cube. I hardely ever even hear a fan.

As for the X1000, yes the sound is not bad for general use but for when the system is doing nothing, would be nice one day that Amiga OS and the X1000 can implement somekind of sleep mode where the fan turns down or off. As it is, I understand the fan is only installed as a backup measure to be safe as under original tests the X1000 does not get hot hot hot. Smart thing to do of course but when this system goes idle, nice to have silence.

I leave my X1000 on all day as I work at my business office which is at my homestead. There are times it sits doing nothing so having that fan go lower in rpm at least would be nice.

I would rather hear the deer munching on my plants outside and the birds chirping than a fan. hehehe

But not complaining, just stating these fans are for sure apparent, compared to my Mac Mini and of course, my silent Sam 440ep that has no fans. ;)

BTW, I am using my X1000 for fun right now but plan to incorporate into my business doing various tasks. One of my customers I do support for I access their system via Internet web browser to handle orders and inventory inquiries so some business functions I can do today with my X1000. Therefore not only will this X1000 be used for hobby and fun, it will be used for my business. :P

Anyone else using X1000 in a business setting?

TJ

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

AmigaDave wrote:
Now I am ready to back up my system, before I start downloading and installing more software. One of my first downloads will be Timberwolf, but I also want to see how OWB-MUI compares to the OWB that I am using to post this from. From what I have read over the last few months, I am guessing that OWB-MUI is the best browser for OS4.1.5 at the moment, but if anyone feels otherwise, please tell me what your favorite browser is for OS4, and why you feel that way.

I also am doing some backups. ;)

As for web browsers, all the way with OWB-MUI. It is pretty nice but not perfect. Since you use OWB on MorphOS, you will have to tell us how they compare.

For me, OWB-MUI is speedy and I quite like it. Does not like some of my secure sites where I have to log on so I have to use Netsurf 2.8 that does work for this one site.

I have been playing with Timberwolf but for me, other than I think it is good for me to test and report what is working nice and what is not, it is not comparable to OWB-MUI IMHO. Just the bookmarks not working is a negative for my everyday use. I understand you can maybe import from a html file but I visit many new sites everyday and want to bookmark it. Can't do that with TW.

So for me, I will tinker with TW but will use OWB-MUI for now. The two things I need from TW so I make a possible switch is, bookmarks need to 100% work and YouTube has to work. Right now is crashes the system. I love YouTube and when the day comes that TW and YouTube work, with sound, I will be all over that like a bear on honey.

tj

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

Please read my earlier post. bookmarks work fine on Timberwolf for me.

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
SteveH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by SteveH »

amigasociety wrote:
Anyone else using X1000 in a business setting?

TJ
I use Hollywood on the X1000 to create presentations, instead of using Powerpoint. I can then run the executable on the PCs at work. It's very satisfying to be able to produce professional quality slideshows using the X1000!
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

@amigasociety,

Nice that you can incorporate your X1000 into your support work. That makes it legitimate as a "Write-Off" on your taxes in California and you can depreciate it over several years and save some of it's purchase price on taxes you will save from paying.

I don't think I can figure out a way to justify writing off my X1000 as a tax write-off.
Proud owner of 10+ Commodore Amiga 680x0 computers
First Contact AmigaOne X1000 Dual Core 1.8GHz PA6T w/OS4.1FE
Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 PMac MDD w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 MacMini w/MorphOS3.7
17" 1.67GHz G4 PBooks w/MorphOS3.7
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
FPGA Arcade Replay w/AmigaOS3.x
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

trevordick wrote:Please read my earlier post. bookmarks work fine on Timberwolf for me.

Trevor
Ah, but you have the "gold" board, it should work perfect. :-D

On the other hand, I've only got bookmarks to show once on my micro & never on my x1000. I've read all the tricks, but nothing works so far & it seems the majority of us have the same problem.
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

I haven't tested it myself

But the word going around is it is related to JXFS the work around is to install in on a SFS/2 partition (who knows, if this still doesn't work try FFS) then configure it THEN move it to the JXFS paritition

Not sure if that relates to one of your trick testing experiences ;)
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x