Recommended browser

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
Sam

Recommended browser

Post by Sam »

What is the current best browser for OS4.1? i realise that may be subjective.

I've tried IBrowse which is fast but is very badly out of date when it come to rendering most of the web with sites appearing with elements all over the place so that is out.

I've tried Timberwolf - which is promising but crashes all over the place so that's out.

This leaves me with OWB 3.32 which is far more usable than the other 2 but has odd glitches. For example it will sometimes pause when being closed or when tabs are closed for chunks of time 5-6 seconds - other times it closes fine. Also downloading on OWB - sometimes it brings up the progress window and other times it just does nothing leaving you without any ability to see the progress of a download.

So - I will try OWB MUI but just wondered what you veterans use? I see now why the Amiga BADLY needs Timberwolf!
SteveH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Recommended browser

Post by SteveH »

Hi Sam,
I mainly use OWB MUI and iBrowse v24.43 (iBrowse launches much more quickly but lacks the features of OWB MUI).
I have Timberwolf installed and I like using it, but isn't yet mature enough to use as my main browser.
So I would definitely recommend OWB MUI - I'm using v1.9, which I think is the one that comes with OS4.1 (and of course it is also available from OS4Depot).
Steve
BillEaves
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by BillEaves »

IB is very nice to use but unfortunately most sites now need CSS which IB doesn't have.

MUI-OWB is by far the best choice at the moment. It has a very good gui like IB and is fully featured.

The reaction version of OWB renders web pages but the GUI leavers a lot to be desired.

TW is only alpha, and though developers may have better versions the one I have is even less useful than OWB-Reaction. In fact it is not even on my X1000, only my older XE.
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

As others have said, MUI-OWB is currently by far the best choice:
http://os4depot.net/index.php?function= ... muiowb.lha

I am looking forward to Timberwolf, but I am waiting for a proper Alpha/Beta release (the current release is just an ancient "proof of concept").
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

ChrisH wrote:As others have said, MUI-OWB is currently by far the best choice:
http://os4depot.net/index.php?function= ... muiowb.lha

I am looking forward to Timberwolf, but I am waiting for a proper Alpha/Beta release (the current release is just an ancient "proof of concept").
Netsurf is also available and worth a look.

Note: If you installAmiCygnix you can also try that version of Netsurf.

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
Sam

Post by Sam »

SteveH wrote: I would definitely recommend OWB MUI - I'm using v1.9, which I think is the one that comes with OS4.1 (and of course it is also available from OS4Depot).
Steve
As far as I can see I only have the 3.32 non MUI version with OS4 so will download the 1.9 MUI one.

@All - Thanks guys for the detailed responses. :)
Sam

Post by Sam »

Wow - OWB MUI is lots better - like night and day compared to the others. Should be the default browser IMHO.
328gts

Post by 328gts »

Sam wrote:Wow - OWB MUI is lots better - like night and day compared to the others. Should be the default browser IMHO.
I agree but let's not forget about Timberwolf ;)
A1-X1000 setup: Corsair GS800 800w PSU, Western Digital 250 GB SATA HDD (model:WD2500YS), 4GB Ram, Radeon HD7950-3GB GDDR5- Dual Slot, Lite-On RW DVD/CD, On-Board Nemo sound,8139B NIC, Catweasel MK4+
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

NetSurf's GUI is great, but it's (current) lack of JavaScript will be a problem for a lot of sites. If someone wants a fast & light-weight browser for Amiga sites (which often work OK without JavaScript), and perhaps for viewing local HTML files, then NetSurf is well worth trying.

On Windows I use Firefox with the NoScript plugin (which disables JavaScript among other things), so it's certainly possible to view some normal sites without JavaScript (and probably a lot safer too!). Sadly I use Google for a lot of stuff, and they use JavaScript like crazy (so I have told NoScript to allow them to use JavaScript).
Sam

Post by Sam »

328gts wrote: I agree but let's not forget about Timberwolf ;)
I know - but in its current state it is unusable as a main browser.