Variables in console window specifications

kolla

Variables in console window specifications

Post by kolla »

Another change from 3.1.4...

It used to be possible to specify variables in the window tooltype of Shell.info, for example "WINDOW=CON:////Amigashell Kick${kickstart}/AUTO/CLOSE" and the console window would expand that global variable and put it in the console title. This no longer works, instead the literal string "${kickstart}" shows up.

Similarly one could specify size and location of the console window using global OS variables... "WINDOW=${CON/TYPE}:${CON/X}/${CON/Y}/${CON/W}/${CON/H}/${CON/TITLE}/${CON/PARAMS}"... or simply let the entire specification reside in one global variables, and do "WINDOW=${CON}"

But no more... I suppose perhaps global variables are banned from all tooltypes or something like that?

New bug? Bug fixed?
I just know I liked the old way, was nice to be creative and use variables for dynamically change defaults for new console window - now one must edit tooltypes instead, a heck lot more complicated.

Btw. using ViNCEd or not doesn't make any difference.
kolla

Re: Variables in console window specifications

Post by kolla »

I notice the following in the ViNCEd.guide, which I suppose is relevant, on the page titled "The Window Title", towards the bottom:
Finally, a remark about using these sequences from the shell. The AmigaShell parses all strings again, in a first step. The parsed string is then sent to ViNCEd, which parses it a second time.
This appears to be no longer true - the "first step" apparently does not happen anymore with OS 3.2, which is why global env variables are no longer expanded.
kolla

Re: Variables in console window specifications

Post by kolla »

kolla wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:09 am I notice the following in the ViNCEd.guide, which I suppose is relevant, on the page titled "The Window Title", towards the bottom:
No, that wasn't relevant at all.

But the change was, and remains - global variables can no longer be used in tooltypes, at least not in context of shell window paths.