ShowConfig no longer outputs to stdout

kolla

ShowConfig no longer outputs to stdout

Post by kolla »

ShowConfig now always opens its own console window when run from CLI, the latter being both pointless and a regression from previous behaviour.

And the REPORT flag is a step away from the very much standard "TO" - WTF guys?!

ShowConfig is the only OS tool (AFAIK) that quickly can list out hardware overview in a simple and parsable manner - the OS team should make sure it stays so, and rather provide methods to make it even better and easier to parse with OS built in commands - ideally, ShowConfig could have LFORMAT so specific info could be output directly without a lot of "manual" parsing.
kolla

Re: ShowConfig no longer outputs to stdout

Post by kolla »

Showconfig "report" is super clever about when reports are generated - it is always "today", and when using non-english locale, it makes it a linguistic mix, so for me it says "Showconfig system report generated on i dag" ("i dag" being Norwegian for "today"). Hilarious.
kolla

Re: ShowConfig no longer outputs to stdout

Post by kolla »

Update for 47.31 of 3.2.2:

* as reported in the release note, ShowConfig no longer throws up its own console window regardless - good!
* the locale issue remains - "Showconfig REPORT * FORMAT TEXT" output "ShowConfig system report generated on i dag" (with Nowegian locales - "i dag") and no date. If output format is guide, however, it does use the current date instead.
* I don't grasp why "REPORT/K" is used as option rather than more standard confirm "TO/K"
* I don't grasp why ShowConfig _must_ output its standard blarb, even when "REPORT" is specified
* and of course still no LFORMAT or more easily parsable output format (not saying that text report is impossible to parse, it's just cumbersome)

But...why all this inconvenience?
Why not have ShowConfig behave more like one would expect?

Suggestion:
"ShowConfig TO file.txt" just the regular output, to a file
"ShowConfig DEBUG TO file.txt" extended output to a file
"ShowConfig TO file.txt FORMAT TEXT"
"ShowConfig TO file.guide FORMAT GUIDE"

Btw - the "help" file for ShowConfig still isn't updated, shows old 3.1 format/template, lacks the entire "report" option etc, only added is GUI (of course, bling bling!!) and blarbs about boards.library and MMULib.