Bug in Find

kolla

Bug in Find

Post by kolla »

When a path is specified in Find, instead of searching the path, it seaches the parent of the path - unless a trailing slash (/) is manually added.
Bug bug bug...
kolla

Re: Bug in Find

Post by kolla »

Bug still present in 47.21 (25.02.2023) - how is it possible that noone else complains about this rather obvious bug??!
Steady

Post by Steady »

FYI, the core issue for this has been identified and will be in the next update (whatever that might be). In the meantime, please just put a slash at the end if you type the path in manually to work around the issue. Sorry about that annoyance.
kolla

Post by kolla »

Oh wow - response! It’s not just whrn I type it manually, it’s also if I select a directory with the ASL reuester.

Oh, and that other annoyance with Find, that it doesn’t take the active window as path argument when called from the workbench “window” menu? Will that be fixed too? I have a work-around by using a wrapper script named Find instead, but puhlease, it’s been years now!

Windows has Patch Tuesday every month - I suggest the same for AmigaOS - waiting literally years for bug fixes to become available is seriously frustrating.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Windows has Patch Tuesday every month
Windows has approx. 1000% more devs, paid even...comparing with multi Million Dollar companies will only raise your frustration.

Accept that this is, and always will be, a hobby and some bugs, even annoying and obvious ones, probably won't get fixed, maybe ever...
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
kolla

Post by kolla »

Windows is the extreme, “even Windows” - for small hobby OSes that don’t have to relate to enterprise demands etc this is even easier - updates can be released at once, with barely any consequences.

The frustration is in reporting bugs and get zero respons.
The frustration is in being told that something is fixed, yet have to wait months and years for it be available.
The frustration is in being told that something is fixed and months/years later find out that it isn’t.

Who is this hobby for, the developers or the users? For Hyperion or for the customers? If it is just hobby for Hyperion, then what is the hobby activity here - pointless legal proceedings?

Anyways the “bug” with Find not working as intended when called from Workbench menu is VERY EASY to fix, it’s simply a matter of handling arguments, it worked fine for the Find variant back when this menu entry was introduced (OS 3.5 or 3.9, I don’t recall), in 3.1.4 the command was lacking, in 3.2 it is reintroduced, but has wrong behaviour, in 3.2.1 and 3.2.2 it continues to misbehave - third party alternatives work fine, as does Find from OS 3.9 (though it has other bugs). It’s as if whoever wrote the current incarnation don’t really have much experience with Find from previous OS releases.