ClickToFront and Back

mrupp

ClickToFront and Back

Post by mrupp »

Hi there

Just noticed that the commodity ClickToFront also sends a window to the back when clicking it while holding the left Alt key. This is a bit unfortunate, because ALT is already used by Workbench to deselect icons (select multiple icons by holding SHIFT, toggle them with CTRL and deselecting with ALT).

I set QUALIFIER=NONE in the tooltypes, but this is only for the "ToFront" part, I assume. Is there maybe a "secret" tooltype to set the qualifier for SentToBack as well? The help (although usually most excellent) doesn't mention any or even that ClickToFront has this feature at all :D .

Cheers, Michael
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out TAWS - The Amiga Workbench Simulation
https://taws.ch
Gulliver

Re: ClickToFront and Back

Post by Gulliver »

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the compliments on the Help subsystem.

Remember you can always customize keys used with the QUALIFIER tool type to suit your needs. Unfortunately, some decisions regarding default choices are bound to backwards compatibility and cannot be easily changed without consequences (which most of the times are unforeseen).

That said, I forgot to append the following information which will be included for the ongoing AmigaOS 3.2 update regarding the ClickToFront commodity:

TOBACK_QUALIFIER selects a qualifier for sending windows to back (with
a single click). If set to NONE, or to the same value as the regular
QUALIFIER option, the "send to back" functionality is deactivated.

Note: Since v47 ClickToFront no longer brings Workbench windows to the
front when double-clicking on an icon, since that is typically not
what the user wants.

Regards,
Ignacio
mrupp

Re: ClickToFront and Back

Post by mrupp »

Excellent, TOBACK_QUALIFIER it is then... I now just noticed that this is already present as a tooltype on a vanilla 3.2 system (set up in WinUAE). I originally missed it, because I updated my A1200 from 3.1.4 where the tooltype was not present. But then it's a good thing that tooltypes are preserved when updating... :D
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out TAWS - The Amiga Workbench Simulation
https://taws.ch