Fienix 6.0.1

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
xeno74

Re: Fienix 6.0.1

Post by xeno74 »

Roland wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:23 am With that option I get quite different results:

Code: Select all

Fienix6   2000 FPS
MintPPC   2900 FPS
Ubuntu16  2100 FPS
Void      3300 FPS
OK, good to know. Thank you for testing.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Roland wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:23 am
xeno74 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:34 am
Have you tested glxgears with vblank_mode=0?

vblank_mode=0 glxgears
With that option I get quite different results:

Fienix6   2000 FPS
MintPPC   2900 FPS
Ubuntu16  2100 FPS
Void      3300 FPS
Could you please check what compositor you're using (Control Center > MATE Tweak > Windows)? Please make sure it is set to Picom GLX.
-Casey
Roland

Post by Roland »

caseycullen wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:58 pm Could you please check what compositor you're using (Control Center > MATE Tweak > Windows)? Please make sure it is set to Picom GLX.
It was 'built-in:Xrender'. I have not touched the setting (did not even know it's existence), so it must be the default.

With Picom GLX I got 2400 FPS for Fienix6.
- Roland -
sailorMH

Post by sailorMH »

caseycullen wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:58 pm Could you please check what compositor you're using (Control Center > MATE Tweak > Windows)? Please make sure it is set to Picom GLX.
-Casey
On X1000 + HD 6670 change of compositor to Picom GLX made this increase: 1200 - > 1700 FPS. Thanks!
Micro A1-C (G3/1.2 GHz), AmigaOne XE (G4/1.4 GHz), Pegasos II (G4/1.33 GHz), Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Powerbook, Mac Mini (1.83 GHz), iMac, Powermac Quad

AmigaOS, MorphOS, linux, MacOS X
Roland

Post by Roland »

@casey

Could you please add these disk tools to Fienix6:

gnome-disk-utility
nvme-cli
smartmontools

The 'gnome'disk-utility' (="Disks") is a must as it can check the SMART data of a disk, and also run speed tests. It can also create disk images, and partition disks. Purely as a partitioning tool I consider GParted better, but it lacks many of the other features of "Disks".
- Roland -
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Roland wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:07 am @casey

Could you please add these disk tools to Fienix6:

gnome-disk-utility
nvme-cli
smartmontools

The 'gnome'disk-utility' (="Disks") is a must as it can check the SMART data of a disk, and also run speed tests. It can also create disk images, and partition disks. Purely as a partitioning tool I consider GParted better, but it lacks many of the other features of "Disks".
Hi Roland,
The packages you requested have been added to the repos.
Thanks!
Roland

Post by Roland »

caseycullen wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:38 am The packages you requested have been added to the repos.
Got them installed - thank you very much!-)
- Roland -
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

caseycullen wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:59 am Fienix 6.0.1 is ready, along with "Fienix Installer - CUB" (CUB = CFE & U-Boot)!
Wow this all looks great thanks. Looks like the vault in Borderlands. Now what I am wondering about is upgrade options? I never see this mentioned. I don't have a lot on my Fienix volume. I could easily backup my home folder and should be able to backup a list of installed packages. But is the system upgradeable?

Perhaps people don't store much in the system and just erase it each time. But if effort is put into an OS I like to get some use out of it and not just throw it away when the next big thing comes along. It's just no one talks about any upgrading of their system. :-?

Backup, erase, or install over the top? :D
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Hypex wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:03 am
caseycullen wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:59 am Fienix 6.0.1 is ready, along with "Fienix Installer - CUB" (CUB = CFE & U-Boot)!
Wow this all looks great thanks. Looks like the vault in Borderlands. Now what I am wondering about is upgrade options? I never see this mentioned. I don't have a lot on my Fienix volume. I could easily backup my home folder and should be able to backup a list of installed packages. But is the system upgradeable?

Perhaps people don't store much in the system and just erase it each time. But if effort is put into an OS I like to get some use out of it and not just throw it away when the next big thing comes along. It's just no one talks about any upgrading of their system. :-?

Backup, erase, or install over the top? :D
Unfortunately there isn't an upgrade option built into this installer. You basically have two options:
1) Update your /etc/apt/sources.list file to the evo version and run apt-get dist-upgrade. This "should" work for most packages, but I have not tried and I cannot say for sure.
2) Back up your home directory including hidden files to a USB drive or online storage, upgrade your system, restore your home directory and re-install applications.

I'm looking at ways to implement an easier way to upgrade for future releases. Unfortunately, creating a clean dist-upgrade path the way Debian and Ubuntu do it is a tedious process that takes a lot of time.

-Casey
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

caseycullen wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:51 pm Unfortunately there isn't an upgrade option built into this installer. You basically have two options:
1) Update your /etc/apt/sources.list file to the evo version and run apt-get dist-upgrade. This "should" work for most packages, but I have not tried and I cannot say for sure.
2) Back up your home directory including hidden files to a USB drive or online storage, upgrade your system, restore your home directory and re-install applications.

I'm looking at ways to implement an easier way to upgrade for future releases. Unfortunately, creating a clean dist-upgrade path the way Debian and Ubuntu do it is a tedious process that takes a lot of time.

-Casey
Thanks again. With the recent fail to upgrade it I will reinstall. I could try an evo upgrade but my HDD is sounding cranky.

Also, I've ran into problems myself, with the installer image. I tried to download the cub installer with Windows and found it doesn't work very well. Windows doesn't know what a GZ is there isn't much support in this area. I downloaded a few unzippers, had to get past their quirky interfaces, but none can unpack the file. I settled on 7Zip in the end but the result is corrupt. How do you unpack this on Windows?

7Zip says the gzip is about 4.5 GB, the image is 3.5GB and unpacks a 12GB file! Is this normal? How can a 12GB file fit on an 8GB disk? Why does it list a smaller file inside a bigger one? I cannot trust Windows nor 7Zip. But Linux is out of space! :o