Fienix 6.0.1

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
caseycullen

Re: Fienix 6.0.1

Post by caseycullen »

Hypex wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:29 am
caseycullen wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:51 pm Unfortunately there isn't an upgrade option built into this installer. You basically have two options:
1) Update your /etc/apt/sources.list file to the evo version and run apt-get dist-upgrade. This "should" work for most packages, but I have not tried and I cannot say for sure.
2) Back up your home directory including hidden files to a USB drive or online storage, upgrade your system, restore your home directory and re-install applications.

I'm looking at ways to implement an easier way to upgrade for future releases. Unfortunately, creating a clean dist-upgrade path the way Debian and Ubuntu do it is a tedious process that takes a lot of time.

-Casey
Thanks again. With the recent fail to upgrade it I will reinstall. I could try an evo upgrade but my HDD is sounding cranky.

Also, I've ran into problems myself, with the installer image. I tried to download the cub installer with Windows and found it doesn't work very well. Windows doesn't know what a GZ is there isn't much support in this area. I downloaded a few unzippers, had to get past their quirky interfaces, but none can unpack the file. I settled on 7Zip in the end but the result is corrupt. How do you unpack this on Windows?

7Zip says the gzip is about 4.5 GB, the image is 3.5GB and unpacks a 12GB file! Is this normal? How can a 12GB file fit on an 8GB disk? Why does it list a smaller file inside a bigger one? I cannot trust Windows nor 7Zip. But Linux is out of space! :o
7zip should work. How long ago did you download the installer? Please make sure you have the most recent version (it’s 4.2G compressed).
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

caseycullen wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:33 pm 7zip should work. How long ago did you download the installer? Please make sure you have the most recent version (it’s 4.2G compressed).
I downloaded the fienix-installer-cub.img.gz on 15th July,

7zip did work but the image sizes it lists are corrupt. The same happened for some other unpacker tools I tested from the MS store. They all claim the compressed image is smaller and then do a buffer overrun while extracting without error. They seems to have 32-bit limits on files. In any case because they reported a different size to the unpacked files I didn't trust they them to unpack it correctly.

I also posted some more info here with some more issues. In particular the image breaks on X1000. The ramdisk is missing.

viewtopic.php?p=57299#p57299
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I now have three versions of fienix available on my HD, labeled FIENIX-2, FIENIX-DISK, and FIENIX6.

I can launch them, but they insist I give a password. I can't remember what I used for passwords on the first two of those before my crash a little over a year ago. I thought that since FIENIX6 (Fienix 6.0.1) is new to my machine I would be asked to set a username and password, but I was wrong.

Perhaps that is because I copied the no-boot-partition version to /dev/sda6 instead of experimenting with the CUB(?) version? If I was sure that version would let me set myself up as user, I would give it a try.

I'm sure the .img is fine. I can look into bin, boot, dev, etc, home, etc. and see all the files.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I just poked into the Fienix 5.1 announcement and see that Casey wrote "If you require an input method platform, as I believe kilaueabart uses, please try SCIM." I wonder what that means and does it have anything to do with my current problem
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:17 am I can launch them, but they insist I give a password. I can't remember what I used for passwords on the first two of those before my crash a little over a year ago.
Hi Kilaueabart,

You can change the passwords with the following commands for your Fienix systems for example for 6.0.1 (/dev/sda6):
  1. Code: Select all

X5000> setenv bootargs root=/dev/sda6 init=/bin/bash
  2. Code: Select all

X5000> fatload mmc 0:1 1000000 uImage-<your kernel version>
  3. Code: Select all

X5000> fatload mmc 0:1 2000000 cyrus-p5020.dtb
  4. Code: Select all

X5000> bootm 1000000 - 2000000
  5. After booting, you will be at the bash prompt.
  6. Your root file system is mounted as readonly now, so remount it as read/write.

Code: Select all

mount -n -o remount,rw /dev/sda6 /
  7. Use the passwd command to create a new root password. You can also create a new user password: passwd <your_username>.
  8. Reboot
Cheers,

Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Thanks, Christian

You told me that once before, and I followed through, but that let me set a root password. Setting a user password required providing a user name, and I didn't know one.

Today I tried the crazy idea of logging on as "root" and I was delighted to find that it works! I am in Fienix 6.0.1! Does root get the same options as user? I'll have to poke around and find out.

Maybe as root I can set a non-root user name?
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:27 pm Maybe as root I can set a non-root user name?
Yes, you can. Here are the commands for creating the user amigaone with password:
  • Code: Select all

# useradd -m -s /bin/bash -U -G wheel,users,audio,video,cdrom,input amigaone
  • Code: Select all

# passwd amigaone
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

kilaueabart wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:22 am I just poked into the Fienix 5.1 announcement and see that Casey wrote "If you require an input method platform, as I believe kilaueabart uses, please try SCIM." I wonder what that means and does it have anything to do with my current problem
SCIM is a way to enter characters from languages like Korean, Japanese, etc.

Did you create a new username or change the default password?
Default username: fienix
Default password: fienixPW

If you install Fienix 6, you would login with the defaults (unless you've changed them already).
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Thanks!

I sort of remembered that there had been a general username and password for the fienixes, but my memory is shot (old age hitting hard even though I am only 88).

I am now on as user fienix. Root has the password I set up for it by mistake ("remember it" in romanized Japanese) so I should be able to use su when I need to.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

And I see that I had left the password as is on at least the most recent fienix I had installed. Some "replay last session" thing got me back over a year!