Fienix 6.0.1

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Roland

Re: Fienix 6.0.1

Post by Roland »

Two important items are missing from the depots: Gparted and Hardinfo. I did not find them even as 'root'.

VLC seems to have problems with the menus: you cannot navigate them freely with mouse but you need to use also arrow keys.
- Roland -
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

Roland wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:39 pm How can I enable hardware acceleration for GPU in Fienix 6.0? I have a HD 6450 which supports it.The Fienix companion does not seem work for me, it just stays 'processing' forever... I already tried to copy the "xorg.conf" from Void partition to etc/X11, but it did not have any effect. VLC closes itself if I try to open videos when HW acceleration is enabled.
There is a file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d called 10-..... .conf (as i am in the office right now i cant give you the correct filename)
In that file change the Driver "FBDev" to "Radeon"

Reboot, and it should work.
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Roland wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:00 am Two important items are missing from the depots: Gparted and Hardinfo. I did not find them even as 'root'.

VLC seems to have problems with the menus: you cannot navigate them freely with mouse but you need to use also arrow keys.
Have you run apt-get update? Both of those packages are in there.

QT applications have a "sticky menu" bug, where if you open a menu and try to switch to another menu without closing the open menu first, the open menu will sometimes "stick", meaning it will stay open and prevent other menus from opening. Is this what you're referring to? If so, pressing the Esc key will close the stuck menu. Another workaround is to close the open menu before switching to another one.
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Roland wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:39 pm How can I enable hardware acceleration for GPU in Fienix 6.0? I have a HD 6450 which supports it.The Fienix companion does not seem work for me, it just stays 'processing' forever... I already tried to copy the "xorg.conf" from Void partition to etc/X11, but it did not have any effect. VLC closes itself if I try to open videos when HW acceleration is enabled.
If you have a moment, could you try to open MATE Terminal (as user, not root), and run "Fienix-Companion" from there? Then open Fienix GPU Enabler and try to enable hardware acceleration. Do you see any errors or messages output in the terminal when it gets stuck in processing?

To enable hardware acceleration manually, the file is /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-compat.conf (or something similar to that - I'm at the office rn). Either remove it and use your own xorg.conf or change the "driver" from fbdev to radeon.
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

Roland wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:00 am Two important items are missing from the depots: Gparted and Hardinfo. I did not find them even as 'root'.

In the package manager i could find gparted and it did install without issues. I must say that Gparted should be installed by default on any distro :-)
But its there!
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
Roland

Post by Roland »

Skateman wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:55 pm There is a file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d called 10-..... .conf (as i am in the office right now i cant give you the correct filename)
In that file change the Driver "FBDev" to "Radeon"
Thanks!-) That solved the problem, now I have HW accelerarion working. And as Casey told, that file can as well be deleted.
- Roland -
Roland

Post by Roland »

caseycullen wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:57 pmHave you run apt-get update? Both of those packages are in there.
Indeed...! The problem was in Synaptic's 'Quick' filter - it does not find anything if I type there e.g.' 'gparted'! With the 'Search' function I was able to locate it normally.
QT applications have a "sticky menu" bug, where if you open a menu and try to switch to another menu without closing the open menu first, the open menu will sometimes "stick", meaning it will stay open and prevent other menus from opening. Is this what you're referring to? If so, pressing the Esc key will close the stuck menu. Another workaround is to close the open menu before switching to another one.
Yes, exactly that QT issue! Sad that it has not yet been fixed... Thanks for the tips!

Still about VLC and HW acceleration... Now I can choose from "Preferences/Video" the 'OpenGL...' option, and it works ok. But in "Preferences/Input/Codecs" there is not available the usual VA-API option for HW accelerated decoding. Only VD-PAU which is not working with Radeon cards. The only working option is thus 'disable'.

Why is VA-API not available? It is available at least in VLC of MintPPC, and AFAIR also in earlier Fienix versions. I checked from Synaptic that VA-API seems to be preinstalled, though.

Edit: I just checked from Fienix5 (which has VLC 3.0.4), and there was indeed available VA-API for HW accelerated decoding.

I also tested a stand-alone VLC 3.0.12, and with Fienix6 there was not any VA-API option available, but when run from MintPPC it was there! Thus, the problem seems not to be in the VLC version but in the Fienix6 itself.
- Roland -
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Roland wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:53 pm Why is VA-API not available? It is available at least in VLC of MintPPC, and AFAIR also in earlier Fienix versions. I checked from Synaptic that VA-API seems to be preinstalled, though.

Edit: I just checked from Fienix5 (which has VLC 3.0.4), and there was indeed available VA-API for HW accelerated decoding.

I also tested a stand-alone VLC 3.0.12, and with Fienix6 there was not any VA-API option available, but when run from MintPPC it was there! Thus, the problem seems not to be in the VLC version but in the Fienix6 itself.
I may have compiled it without VA-API support, I'll have to look into it. It's not too difficult to build so if that's the problem I'll build an updated version.
Roland

Post by Roland »

caseycullen wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:17 pm I may have compiled it without VA-API support, I'll have to look into it. It's not too difficult to build so if that's the problem I'll build an updated version.
Do you mean VLC itself? I tested the stand-alone VLC 3.0.12 also with Fienix 5, and there VA-API was available. Thus, there must be some OS-level difference between Fienix 5 and 6 which affects VLC. Is there in VA-API itself an option to compile it with/without Altivec dependency?
- Roland -
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Roland wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:41 pm @Casey

Got it running finally! But I had to use an external disk unit as an intermediary: create a huge 20 GB partition, copy the diskimage there, shrink the partition to a decent size and then copy it to my main HD. The original partition size was indeed left too high! You should really correct that in future disk images...;)

One serious problem found: The "Users and Groups" manager was totally missing fron the control center! How can it be installed?
Hi All,

I had the same problem with the new Fienix noboot disk image. I figured out a fast and small solution. With increasing the disk image with qemu-img you can fix the issue. :-)

Code: Select all

qemu-img resize fienix_6.0.1-noboot-r1.img +10G

Code: Select all

fsck.ext4 fienix_6.0.1-noboot-r1.img

Cheers,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.