Fienix 6.0.1

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Fienix 6.0.1

Post by nbache »

Skateman wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:58 pmAre you using an RX based card in the machine ??
Err ... <mumble ,,, blush ...> yes :-/

I had forgotten all about that!

I'll have to see if I can find a supported card to install next to my RX560.

I have an HD6970 lying around, will that work?

Best regards,

Niels
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

No problem..

Yeah that should work as its an SI card and fienix is using the FBdev driver.

Give it a go!
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Thanks for the response.

It looks like I'll have to give up on this at the moment, because the HD6970 I have is a double-width card, and the RX560 also, so I don't think I'd be able to fit them both at once. Or if I could, the fans on the RX560 would be completely blocked, so I'd be afraid to have it overheat.

And I won't give up on the RX560 right now, I need it for OS4 betatesting, which is my first priority.

I'll consider finding a card which I can live with for both OSs, or alternatively, consider whether I should try getting Fienix running on my X1000, but that is my main daily machine, so I would be even more nervous about that.

So for the moment, I'm once more chickening out.

Sorry :?.

PS. Do you have both an RX570 and an X1900 installed at the same time? Do they fit next to each other?

Bset regards,

Niels
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

No problem Niels,

yeah they could fit next to eachother, but it will be a small "Project".

I have a PCIe X4 to X16 adapter to attach the second video card to.
My primary card at the moment is a small baby RX550. (used to be a big RX570)

For more details read here: https://amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2023-01-00051-EN.html
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Great tutorial on amiga-news.de, Dave. Thanks for that. I somehow missed it until now.

I'll look for one of those adapters, and maybe I'll swap my RX560 for the RX550 I recently fitted in my PC to save some space like you did. This might make it possible to fit the HD6970 with the adapter, but it would probably be better to see if I can find something like the X1900 you have, also because the 6970 is noisy as heck :-).

But indeed I have things to consider now.

Best regards,

Niels
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

Try to find a X1950 or X1900 or other "older" card that is supported by Linux.
The nice part of the X1900 is that it is also supported in Morphos so i have 3 operating systems to choose from.

Feel free to contact me if you need any help.
Roland

Post by Roland »

@Casey

Got it running finally! But I had to use an external disk unit as an intermediary: create a huge 20 GB partition, copy the diskimage there, shrink the partition to a decent size and then copy it to my main HD. The original partition size was indeed left too high! You should really correct that in future disk images...;)

One serious problem found: The "Users and Groups" manager was totally missing fron the control center! How can it be installed?
- Roland -
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Roland wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:41 pm @Casey

Got it running finally! But I had to use an external disk unit as an intermediary: create a huge 20 GB partition, copy the diskimage there, shrink the partition to a decent size and then copy it to my main HD. The original partition size was indeed left too high! You should really correct that in future disk images...;)

One serious problem found: The "Users and Groups" manager was totally missing fron the control center! How can it be installed?
Thanks for all the information you provided. I misunderstood how fsck handles "open-ended" images. I'll update the images to be less problematic. Also, thanks for pointing out the users and groups is missing. You can add it by installing "mate-user-admin".
-Casey
Roland

Post by Roland »

caseycullen wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:35 pm Thanks for all the information you provided. I misunderstood how fsck handles "open-ended" images. I'll update the images to be less problematic. Also, thanks for pointing out the users and groups is missing. You can add it by installing "mate-user-admin
Thanks for the tip, but I did not find "mate-user-admin" via Synaptic. Are you sure it is in the default depots?

Edit: I was able to install it from the 'root' account, it was not available for the "fienix".

BTW, There seems to be some problem with the 'Menu' (in top-left corner of the desktop) when using root account. The menu window appears normally when I click the "Menu", but as soon as I move mouse pointer downwards to select something it closes itself. Other accounts do not show this problem.
- Roland -
Roland

Post by Roland »

How can I enable hardware acceleration for GPU in Fienix 6.0? I have a HD 6450 which supports it.The Fienix companion does not seem work for me, it just stays 'processing' forever... I already tried to copy the "xorg.conf" from Void partition to etc/X11, but it did not have any effect. VLC closes itself if I try to open videos when HW acceleration is enabled.
- Roland -