Fienix 6.0.1

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Roland

Re: Fienix 6.0.1

Post by Roland »

caseycullen wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:59 pm Did you actually re-download the image after I re-posted it?
No, I did not realize that you had reposted it... I will try it again tomorrow!-)
- Roland -
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

nbache wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:21 pm I can see the stick from UBoot, and I can do an of ls the two partitions, seeing the expected files.

But I think I'm going to need some help with the UBoot commands required to boot from the USB stick. I found some commands in an earlier thread, but they seem to require a uInitrd file present on the boot partition of the stick, so I guess they are not quite right for this image.
Sure, the U-Boot commands would be:

Code: Select all

usb reset
setenv bootargs root=/dev/sdb2 rootdelay=5
fatload usb 0:1 1000000 uImage-6.1
fatload usb 0:1 1c00000 cyrus-p5020.dtb
bootm 1000000 - 1c00000
The "/dev/sdb2" might be "/dev/sdc2" if you already have another USB drive plugged in.
nbache wrote: At the moment, I'd be happy to just be able to boot from the stick.
You can use Fienix Installer - CUB to install Fienix onto a second USB drive. Once the installer boots up, insert a second USB drive and install Fienix onto it using the installer. When the installer finishes and you reboot, unplug the USB disk with Fienix Installer - CUB on it. Then, use the same U-Boot commands I listed above to boot into Fienix 6.0.1.
nbache wrote: Later, I need to find out how to install Fienix on my HD; I have a disk with a number of Amiga partitions where I hope to be able to create a new partition for the root volume, and then put the boot stuff in another, small one. I do have a backup of all the AmigaOS stuff, but I'd prefer not to risk destroying it. Is that too risky? Had I better put in a fresh disk especially for Linux?
To be honest, I don't have enough experience with AmigaOS setup to give a good recommendation. You can use Fienix Installer - CUB to install Fienix to a hard drive, but it needs the full disk. My recommendation would be to use a separate disk.
nbache wrote: (This time, I really intend to get Linux up and running here. Haven't had Linux on an Amiga since the early days of my X1000.)
Let me know if you run into any problems; I'm happy to help!

-Casey
Roland

Post by Roland »

caseycullen wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:59 pm I downloaded the image from the same link I provided and extracted it (Engrampa worked fine for me)
How much free space do you have on your root partition? I have 3.7 MB free on my Fienix5.1 partition, and when I try to extract the image with Engrampa (to another partition which has plenty of free space!), I get after a while this warning: "The volume "Filesystem root" has only 120.0MB disk space remaining", and at the same time Engrampa fails.

I have not found out how to change that braindead buffering function of Engrampa... Can you tell how to do it?

Could you please add "Xarchiver" to the Fienix depots? It does not fill up the root partition but uses only the target partition.
- Roland -
Roland

Post by Roland »

I still cannot get the Fienix 6 partition work, even the new upload... I get the same error message from fsck and e2fsck (which is used by Gparted):

~$ sudo fsck -f -y /dev/sda9
fsck from util-linux 2.36
e2fsck 1.46.2 (28-Feb-2021)
The filesystem size (according to the superblock) is 3806976 blocks
The physical size of the device is 2176000 blocks
Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!
Abort? yes

~$ sudo e2fsck -f -y -v -C 0 '/dev/sda9'
e2fsck 1.46.2 (28-Feb-2021)
The filesystem size (according to the superblock) is 3806976 blocks
Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!
Abort? yes
The size of the disk image seems to be 7.3 GB, and I copied it on an empty 8.5 GB partition which should be well enough.
Last edited by Roland on Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
- Roland -
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

caseycullen wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:37 am

usb reset
setenv bootargs root=/dev/sdb2 rootdelay=5
fatload usb 0:1 1000000 uImage-6.1
fatload usb 0:1 1c00000 cyrus-p5020.dtb
bootm 1000000 - 1c00000
The "/dev/sdb2" might be "/dev/sdc2" if you already have another USB drive plugged in.
Thanks! Looks like I was pretty close. I'll try that later today (adjusted to my environment, e.g. p5020 -> p5040). I was also setting my bootargs with root=label=FI instead of the /dev stuff, but never got as far as seeing whether that would work; we'll see.

Edit: It doesn't seem to work, so I'll try the /dev ... variant instead. I only have the one stick inserted, but I have two hard disks, so I guess the USB stck will be /dev/sdc2 after all.(End edit)
caseycullen wrote:
nbache wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:21 pm At the moment, I'd be happy to just be able to boot from the stick.
You can use Fienix Installer - CUB to install Fienix onto a second USB drive. Once the installer boots up, insert a second USB drive and install Fienix onto it using the installer. When the installer finishes and you reboot, unplug the USB disk with Fienix Installer - CUB on it. Then, use the same U-Boot commands I listed above to boot into Fienix 6.0.1.
Hadn't thought about that, that seems like a good plan. I do have an extra stick ready.
caseycullen wrote:
nbache wrote: Later, I need to find out how to install Fienix on my HD; I have a disk with a number of Amiga partitions where I hope to be able to create a new partition for the root volume, and then put the boot stuff in another, small one. I do have a backup of all the AmigaOS stuff, but I'd prefer not to risk destroying it. Is that too risky? Had I better put in a fresh disk especially for Linux?
To be honest, I don't have enough experience with AmigaOS setup to give a good recommendation. You can use Fienix Installer - CUB to install Fienix to a hard drive, but it needs the full disk. My recommendation would be to use a separate disk.
Right. Using the second stick approach you mentioned above, I think it should be doable to later use GPartEd (which AFAIR does recognize Amiga partitions and RDBs) to create the necessary new partitions on my HD from there and then install to them. I'll take it in baby steps and see how I get along :-). At least on the X1000 back then that setup used to work. (Only reason I can't boot that setup any more is that I upgraded the graphics card in the X1000 to one not supported by the old Linux kernel I used back then.)

Thanks again for your help.

Best regards,

Niels
Last edited by nbache on Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Roland wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:37 am The filesystem size (according to the superblock) is 3806976 blocks
It seems, the partition is smaller than the img. Could you please check the size of the img and the size of the partition?

Actually the img is normally smaller than the root partiton so you need to expand the file system with resize2fs to the total size of the partition.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Roland wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:37 am The size of the disk image seems to be 7.3 GB, and I copied it on an empty 8.5 GB partition which should be well enough.
Please try resize2fs /dev/<your partition>.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

nbache wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:43 amThanks! Looks like I was pretty close. I'll try that later today (adjusted to my environment, e.g. p5020 -> p5040). I was also setting my bootargs with root=label=FI instead of the /dev stuff, but never got as far as seeing whether that would work; we'll see.

Edit: It doesn't seem to work, so I'll try the /dev ... variant instead. I only have the one stick inserted, but I have two hard disks, so I guess the USB stck will be /dev/sdc2 after all.(End edit)
No, that didn't change anything. It seems to load the kernel and .dtb fine, but then it doesn't output anything to the screen, while there is a short burst of HD activity every few seconds or so (the HD LED blinks like an old-fashioned lighthouse :-)).

See the attached photo (tried to capture it on serial, but that doesn't seem to receive any of the output after the initial UBoot start and the USB reset).

Best regards,

Niels
Roland

Post by Roland »

xeno74 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:54 amPlease try resize2fs /dev/<your partition>.
It does not work:

$ sudo resize2fs /dev/sda9    
resize2fs 1.46.2 (28-Feb-2021)
Resizing the filesystem on /dev/sda9 to 2176000 (4k) blocks.
resize2fs: Can't read a block bitmap while trying to resize /dev/sda9
Please run 'e2fsck -fy /dev/sda9' to fix the filesystem
after the aborted resize operation.
The e2fsck command does not work, either.

Is the problem that the size of the partition in that image is much higher than needed for the data included in it?

Casey: Can you please tell what is the actual partition size in your image, and what proportion of it is used by the data? In generel, when distributing partition images, the size should be set max 1 GB higher than needed for the data on it. That makes things easier for the users...
- Roland -
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

nbache wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:40 pm
nbache wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:43 amThanks! Looks like I was pretty close. I'll try that later today (adjusted to my environment, e.g. p5020 -> p5040). I was also setting my bootargs with root=label=FI instead of the /dev stuff, but never got as far as seeing whether that would work; we'll see.

No, that didn't change anything. It seems to load the kernel and .dtb fine, but then it doesn't output anything to the screen, while there is a short burst of HD activity every few seconds or so (the HD LED blinks like an old-fashioned lighthouse :-)).

See the attached photo (tried to capture it on serial, but that doesn't seem to receive any of the output after the initial UBoot start and the USB reset).

Best regards,

Niels
Are you using an RX based card in the machine ??
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full