Fienix 6.0.1

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
caseycullen

Re: Fienix 6.0.1

Post by caseycullen »

You'd think I'd know how to make an image by now, lol... I think it has something to do with transferring the file to an exfat filesystem first.

When you have a moment, could you try once more? Fienix Installer Image

-Casey
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

caseycullen wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:29 pmWhen you have a moment, could you try once more? Fienix Installer Image
Success!

At least I could now:

- download
- uncompress
- write to USB stick with dd

- all without problems, on Debian x64.

Thanks for all your work!

Tomorrow I'll try using the stick on my X5000/40. Fingers crossed ...

Best regards,

Niels
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

Fienix 6.0.1 up and running on my AmigaOne X5000

Big picture https://www.skateman.nl/wp-content/uplo ... -16-27.png
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Great, thanks for checking!
Here is the base image without a boot partition for those who requested it. Please try it when you have a moment.
-Casey
Last edited by caseycullen on Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roland

Post by Roland »

caseycullen wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:38 am Here is the base image without a boot partition for those who requested it. Please try it when you have a moment.
As I already reported, it does not work! The filesystem is not recognized, and Gparted is not able to resize or fix it. I used Xarchiver to uncompress it as usual (Engrampa needs a huge amount of free disk space on root partition for buffering, so it cannot be used for large disk images).
Last edited by Roland on Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Roland -
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

caseycullen wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:38 am Great, thanks for checking!
Here is the base image without a boot partition for those who requested it. Please try it when you have a moment.
-Casey
Thanks Casey,
I will give it a try later. Would be nice to get rid of that boot partition stuff. I am used use to boot the kernel from my SD card and just set the bootargs to the correct partition of the drive. Could it be done that you edit the installer in such a way that you can select a drive first, then a partition, and extract the filesystem to that partition ??

I also needed to use initrd in the U-boot command to create a ramdrive. Otherwise i could not get the kernel loaded at all.

Thanks fo all your hard work on Fienix!
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Roland wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:58 am As I already reported, it does not work! The filesystem is not recognized, and Gparted is not able to resize or fix it. I used Xarchiver to uncompress it as usual (Engrampa needs a huge amount of free disk space on root partition for buffering, so it cannot be used for large disk images).
Did you actually re-download the image after I re-posted it?

I downloaded the image from the same link I provided and extracted it (Engrampa worked fine for me):

As you can see, an img file resulted:

I wrote the img file to a USB partition using dd, and then checked the partition with fsck:

I booted the partition on my X5000:

It all seemed to work fine for me...

caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Skateman wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:43 am Thanks Casey,
I will give it a try later. Would be nice to get rid of that boot partition stuff. I am used use to boot the kernel from my SD card and just set the bootargs to the correct partition of the drive. Could it be done that you edit the installer in such a way that you can select a drive first, then a partition, and extract the filesystem to that partition ??
Possibly, maybe it will be an installer option for the next release. Until then, you should be able to set up a partition using the "noboot" image I posted. I tested every step of the way and didn't have a problem.
Skateman wrote: I also needed to use initrd in the U-boot command to create a ramdrive. Otherwise i could not get the kernel loaded at all.
Do you mean to load from "LABEL"? I didn't include a uInitrd in the boot files, so the /dev path to the partition would need to be entered.
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

Yess!!

Downloaded, Extracted, DD` d to /dev/sda3 and all working fine !!!

Thanks Casey !
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

nbache wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:57 amTomorrow I'll try using the stick on my X5000/40. Fingers crossed ...
I can see the stick from UBoot, and I can do an of ls the two partitions, seeing the expected files.

But I think I'm going to need some help with the UBoot commands required to boot from the USB stick. I found some commands in an earlier thread, but they seem to require a uInitrd file present on the boot partition of the stick, so I guess they are not quite right for this image.

At the moment, I'd be happy to just be able to boot from the stick.

Later, I need to find out how to install Fienix on my HD; I have a disk with a number of Amiga partitions where I hope to be able to create a new partition for the root volume, and then put the boot stuff in another, small one. I do have a backup of all the AmigaOS stuff, but I'd prefer not to risk destroying it. Is that too risky? Had I better put in a fresh disk especially for Linux?

(This time, I really intend to get Linux up and running here. Haven't had Linux on an Amiga since the early days of my X1000.)

Best regards,

Niels