Fienix 6.0.1

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
caseycullen

Fienix 6.0.1

Post by caseycullen »

Update: Initial uploads of the installer and "noboot" image were corrupt. Links have been updated:
Fienix Installer - CUB: here
Fienix "noboot" - image without boot partition here

Fienix 6.0.1 is ready, along with "Fienix Installer - CUB" (CUB = CFE & U-Boot)!

Fienix 6.0.1 New Features
- Built-in support for streaming media to DLNA devices like Chromecast, game consoles, and DLNA-compliant smart TVs
- Built-in support to stream to ROAP devices like Apple Airport Express
- Built-in support for streaming to Bluetooth speakers (and Fienix supports USB Bluetooth adapters)
- Improved printer support and graphical printer configuration
- New, streamlined theme for cleaner interface, new wallpapers and a Fienix screensaver
- Support for GTK 4
- Fienix Companion is much more robust and stable and includes new Fienix Network Mechanic, and the Curated App Suite has been updated
- Almost all QT and KDE frameworks packages have been rebuilt from source to improve stability
- QT packages upgraded to version 5.15.4 and KDE frameworks packages upgraded to version 5.98
- Improved menu functionality for QT/KDE applications ("sticky" menus can be closed by pressing Esc key)
- Improvements in theme consistency for QT/KDE applications
- Improvements in theme consistency for Java desktop applications
- KDEConnect in Fienix 6.0.1 provides integration with both iOS and Android devices (previously only Android devices were supported)
- Eolie, a web browser based on WebKit (the same browser engine as Apple's Safari browser), provides great performance!
- Arctic Fox web browser has been upgraded to version 40.1
- Pale Moon browser 31.2 is now available
- VLC has been upgraded to version 3.0.18
- SFML has been patched in Fienix 6.0.1 to correctly play Ogg Vorbis sound format, unpatched it plays only static on big-endian systems

Fienix Installer - CUB
- Choose the disk you want to install Fienix to, whether hard drive or USB thumb-drive
- Fienix Installer - CUB will set up boot partition with kernel version 6.1 boot files for X1000 and X5000
- Installs Fienix pre-configured to use fbdev
- You will still need to enter CFE or U-Boot boot commands

How to use Fienix Installer - CUB
1) Download Fienix Installer - CUB image here
2) Expand file
3) Copy to a USB thumb-drive using dd ("dd if=/home/fienix/Downloads/fienix-installer-cub.img of=/dev/sdc") for Linux or USB Image Tool (download here) for Windows - if using dd, do not specify a partition, the boot partition is incorporated into the image!
4) No partition adjustments are necessary, just start your X1000 or X5000 up with the USB thumb-drive, enter your boot commands and go!

Note: I will make the Fienix 6.0.1 image available as well, in case you'd like to manually set it up. The website will be updated with more comprehensive instructions as well. I've tested this installer many times, so I hope all the bugs are worked out, but please let me know if you run across something.

Fienix Installer Cub Images:

Last edited by caseycullen on Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
xeno74

Re: Fienix 6.0.1

Post by xeno74 »

caseycullen wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:59 am Fienix 6.0.1 is ready, along with "Fienix Installer - CUB" (CUB = CFE & U-Boot)!
😮 Wow

Great!
caseycullen wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:59 am
Note: I will make the Fienix 6.0.1 image available as well, in case you'd like to manually set it up.
Could you please offer the image without a boot partition?
I would like to copy it to an empty partition on my X5000.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
Roland

Post by Roland »

xeno74 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:27 am Could you please offer the image without a boot partition?
I was just about to ask the same... :-)

Great work, Casey! I was especially delighted to see that a new version of VLC is included, and all the best browsers currently available!
- Roland -
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

I think the file might be corrupted. I tried downloading it twice on Win7 and once on Debian Bullseye x64, all three times there was an error while uncompressing (Zip7 on Windows, gzip - I think - on Linux; just used the right-click menu in the file system navigation window).

Could someone check, please?

Best regards,

Niels
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

nbache wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:58 pm I think the file might be corrupted. I tried downloading it twice on Win7 and once on Debian Bullseye x64, all three times there was an error while uncompressing (Zip7 on Windows, gzip - I think - on Linux; just used the right-click menu in the file system navigation window).

Could someone check, please?

Best regards,

Niels
Apologies, it appears something happened to the upload. It should be fixed now.
Thanks,
-Casey
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

xeno74 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:27 am Could you please offer the image without a boot partition?
Without a boot partition: Here
You'll need to use GParted to "check" the partition after it's copied, or just fun "fsck -f -y /dev/partition".
-Casey
Last edited by caseycullen on Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Roland wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:57 am
I was just about to ask the same... :-)

Great work, Casey! I was especially delighted to see that a new version of VLC is included, and all the best browsers currently available!
Thanks! Yes, the browser situation has definitely improved!
And here's the image without boot partition.
-Casey
Last edited by caseycullen on Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

caseycullen wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:06 amApologies, it appears something happened to the upload. It should be fixed now.
Thank you, Casey.

But unfortunately it seems not.

I got the same error with 7Zip on Windows as before, and when I tried from my Linux installation on the same PC (having the Windows D: drive containing the downloaded .gz file mounted there) doing a "gunzip -t" on the file, it reports:

gzip: fienix-installer-cub.img.gz: invalid compressed data--format violated

I'll try once more, downloading directly on Linux x64, just in case.

Best regards,

Niels
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

nbache wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:00 pmgzip: fienix-installer-cub.img.gz: invalid compressed data--format violated

I'll try once more, downloading directly on Linux x64, just in case.
Nope, sorry, same error.

Best regards,

Niels
Roland

Post by Roland »

caseycullen wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:12 am Without a boot partition: Here
You'll need to use GParted to "check" the partition after it's copied, or just fun "fsck -f -y /dev/partition".
I downloaded/extracted, and copied it on a HD twice, but the file system of the resulting partition was not recognizable. GParted (check) was not able to fix it!
- Roland -