Is there still no RadeonHD or RadeonRX drivers for PPC linuxes ?

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Is there still no RadeonHD or RadeonRX drivers for PPC linuxes ?

Post by kas1e »

Is there still no even half working drivers for making RadeonHD or RadeonRX working on our powerpc systems ? Can't belive no one didn't make RadeonHD one at least.. Or maybe something of that kind already happens and we just didn't know about currently ?:)
Skateman

Re: Is there still no RadeonHD or RadeonRX drivers for PPC linuxes ?

Post by Skateman »

i wish there was.... but i am afraid not...
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
Roland

Post by Roland »

kas1e wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:54 pm Is there still no even half working drivers for making RadeonHD or RadeonRX working on our powerpc systems ? Can't belive no one didn't make RadeonHD one at least.. Or maybe something of that kind already happens and we just didn't know about currently ?:)
AFAIK, the Linux PPC drivers for Raden HD 5000 and HD 6000 series work almost as well as the hw allows. E.g with a HD 6450 I can run 720p videos/streams (up to 30fps) and have hw acceleration for 3D games like SuperTuxKart. For comparison, with an unsupported r7 240 card which is limited to use only the CPU I cannot reach the same.
- Roland -
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

I think Kas1e is pointing to the later line of Southern Island cards like the R7 / R9 based cards that came with a lot of X5000 systems.
All those cards lack hardware support and fallback on the FBdev driver. I think the HD6970 is one of the last HD cards with actual 3D acceleration.

I dont think we will ever see a PPC (BE) based driver for the newer graphics like the RX series..... just to complex to build for such a small installed base..
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

kas1e wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:54 pm Is there still no even half working drivers for making RadeonHD or RadeonRX working on our powerpc systems ? Can't belive no one didn't make RadeonHD one at least.. Or maybe something of that kind already happens and we just didn't know about currently ?:)
You can ask Hans. Maybe he can help us.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

Skateman wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:16 pm I dont think we will ever see a PPC (BE) based driver for the newer graphics like the RX series..... just to complex to build for such a small installed base..
What about a LE driver? I mean, if PPC64LE could be hacked to work. In my case on my X1000. While not an actual solution and a work around if it ever worked. It's what IBM did to solve the troubles of BE code breaking in a LE world. Switch the CPU to LE mode! :)