Fienix 5.1 Spark

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
caseycullen

Re: Fienix 5.1 Spark

Post by caseycullen »

kilaueabart wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:27 am Tomorrow I will find out how successful I may have been in installing Spark.

Today's experiment was wild. I dd'ed the .img into my Fienix5 hard drive partition, expecting to get complaints. But here I am in a new Fienix that I have never seen before. I'll need to experiment a lot tomorrow. So far I have found two problems: GParted won't accept "fienixPW" or "rootAdminPW" as a password. And this message board won't accept my screen shot. Oh, wait, now it does!Spark.png
I'm glad you were able to get it up and running. It's strange that GParted doesn't accept the root password. It definitely should.
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Skateman wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:54 pm A weird thing is though..that GLmark2 score runing fieinx is 50% slower then running VoidPPC...
Wow, that's quite a difference. You have the radeon firmware installed?
@xeno74 have you noticed anything similar? Have you attempted to build mesa from source lately? I wonder if doing so would improve performance.
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

If i recall correct there is a difference in the LLVM version... 12 .x in Void.. and 13 in Spark .... but i have to look again when behind the machine.
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

caseycullen wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:27 pm @xeno74 have you noticed anything similar? Have you attempted to build mesa from source lately? I wonder if doing so would improve performance.
Yes, I also noticed it with SuperTuxKart. No, I haven't attempted to build a new Mesa version.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

caseycullen wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:24 pm It's strange that GParted doesn't accept the root password. It definitely should.
I must have made a typo every time I tried! It came up fine this morning. The partition used to be named FIENIX5, but now it is FIENIX-DISK, just like the original now-broken Fienix, which is the only option so far to do many of the things I need to do. I hope I'll be able to get Spark (or Void) to take over all of them sooner or later.
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

kilaueabart wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:00 pmI must have made a typo every time I tried! It came up fine this morning. The partition used to be named FIENIX5, but now it is FIENIX-DISK, just like the original now-broken Fienix, which is the only option so far to do many of the things I need to do. I hope I'll be able to get Spark (or Void) to take over all of them sooner or later.
Oh good, glad it works. Have you had a chance to try out SCIM for character input? I'm curious if it works out for you. Feel free to let me know if you need anything else and I'll see what can be done.
-Casey
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

Another 3D performance test. Same setup X5000 with Radeon HD 6770.
Fienix Linux

Void Linux

So 1423 vs 2221 points...
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

caseycullen wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:21 pm Have you had a chance to try out SCIM for character input? I'm curious if it works out for you. Feel free to let me know if you need anything else and I'll see what can be done.
-Casey
I poked around Synaptic yesterday wondering what I needed from there to get cji writing going again, but I didn't try anything then. Getting your note just now I downloaded scim and I found "SCIM Input Method" in Preferences and tried running it. Not sure what the "G"(?), the two check marks, and the stop-sign looking things in the lower right are supposed to do. Might not have a chance to find out if it works (including how to use it) for a couple of hours but I have my hopes up.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

caseycullen wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:21 pm Have you had a chance to try out SCIM for character input? I'm curious if it works out for you. Feel free to let me know if you need anything else and I'll see what can be done.
-Casey
よかった! 日本語が書けます!* Apparently it just needed a reboot.

A related strange thing. In the upper panel on the right I have an "en." If I right-click that, I get three options, the first of which. "Layouts," expands into "English (US)" over "Korean." If I click on "Korean," I get a little thing in the lower right coner, above the bottom panel, saying "English/European," and an icon that brings on "SCIM Setup." Also in the upper panel a keyboard icon, that allows me to switch from English to Japanese. It also has a "Other - RAW CODE" option which can produce all kinds of weird stuff that might just show up as little boxes on screen. ૟  Any ideas what that is all about?

Next I shall see if I can find a way to add Korean as an option.

Post by xeno74 »

xeno74 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:50 pm
caseycullen wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:27 pm @xeno74 have you noticed anything similar? Have you attempted to build mesa from source lately? I wonder if doing so would improve performance.
Yes, I also noticed it with SuperTuxKart. No, I haven't attempted to build a new Mesa version.
I noticed it on my X1000 too. I tried to figure out why is the hardware 3D acceleration a little bit slower but without any success. I tested it with and without compositor. Additionally with Marco and Compiz. I looked for suspicious processes but there aren't any.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.