Fienix 5.1 Spark

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Roland

Re: Fienix 5.1 Spark

Post by Roland »

Skateman wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:38 pm Ahhh the Caicos does not need the FBdev.. but you can use Radeon as the driver.
Yes, I know... But I thought Fienix5 has some automatic selection system which switches from fbdev to radeon if needed.
Try this Xorg.conf
Still no effect,,, The problem is clearly somewhere else. I get a plenty of 'red' error messages during Fienix bootup, e.g. several times from 'user login management'.
- Roland -
Roland

Post by Roland »

Casey/Xeno, could you please help to solve this problem...?

BTW, what size should the spark.img be (unpacked)? Mine is 6.081.740.800. There were no errors when unpacking it, and mounting the image and accessing the contents shows no problems.

The package is currently unavailable from the server, so I cannot try to download it again!
- Roland -
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

Hi Roland,

I just did a DD of the Image file to an empty partition on my Linux drive.
I uploaded it to a Google Drive... here you have the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-h70sf ... sp=sharing

PS it tried the Enable Hardware acceleration from the Fienix Companion menu...and it broke my X desktop. It renamed by Xorg.conf to Xorg.conf.bak and i had to manualy rename it back to get the desktop back up and running.

Dave
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
Roland

Post by Roland »

Skateman wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:26 am I just did a DD of the Image file to an empty partition on my Linux drive.
I uploaded it to a Google Drive... here you have the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-h70sf ... sp=sharing
Thanks! I downloaded it, and compared to my previous download. The sizes were identical, so the problem was not there. But I copied the image on another USB stck, and this time it booted ok! Obviously the image was somehow corrupted when copied on the first stick.
PS it tried the Enable Hardware acceleration from the Fienix Companion menu...and it broke my X desktop. It renamed by Xorg.conf to Xorg.conf.bak and i had to manualy rename it back to get the desktop back up and running.
Ok, thanks for warning...I will not touch it until Casey checks that issue. I did not yet put a xorg.conf, but the desktop seemed to work without it in machine. But I will add it as I naturally want to get the hw acceleration for videos.

I opened VLC to see how it behaves, and after I clicked the menus it froze, as well as the whole system. Reboot was the only way out. Have to test it again with 'radeon' enabled.
- Roland -
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

The VLC issue with the Menu is the same as with VOID... i have seen this happen with SMplayer also.
You can alwasy use the keyboard keys to navigate when the mouse is not able to click the menus structure...

Dave
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Roland

Post by Roland »

Skateman wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:59 pm The VLC issue with the Menu is the same as with VOID... i have seen this happen with SMplayer also.
You can alwasy use the keyboard keys to navigate when the mouse is not able to click the menus structure...
Yes, I remember... I figured from Casey's first message in this thread that the problem might have be avoided by keeping the older versions of Qt, but obviously it needs the customized ones he plans to compile. I hope it works.
- Roland -
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Skateman wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:59 pm The VLC issue with the Menu is the same as with VOID... i have seen this happen with SMplayer also.

Dave
I just recently noticed this. It only seems to happen if I open a menu and then try moving to a menu left of the one I opened without closing the original menu first. It never happens if I open a menu and then move to a menu right of the original menu, and it never happens if I close the original menu before opening another one. Very odd behavior. However, the system does not fully lock. You can enter a terminal screen and restart the display manager.
But yes, I will need to watch out for this in future builds. For now, I suggest closing the menu before opening another, or at least don't open a menu and then try to move to a menu left of it without closing the original menu first.
-Casey
Last edited by caseycullen on Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Skateman wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:26 am PS it tried the Enable Hardware acceleration from the Fienix Companion menu...and it broke my X desktop. It renamed by Xorg.conf to Xorg.conf.bak and i had to manualy rename it back to get the desktop back up and running.

Dave
Ah, that's annoying - sorry! I wasn't aware that (some) "supported" GPUs still need an xorg.conf. I'll have to look further into this. What GPU do you have?
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

Hi Casey,

No problem at all. Happy with all the work you do.
At the moment i am running a Radeon HD 4770.
A weird thing is though..that GLmark2 score runing fieinx is 50% slower then running VoidPPC...

Dave
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Tomorrow I will find out how successful I may have been in installing Spark.

Today's experiment was wild. I dd'ed the .img into my Fienix5 hard drive partition, expecting to get complaints. But here I am in a new Fienix that I have never seen before. I'll need to experiment a lot tomorrow. So far I have found two problems: GParted won't accept "fienixPW" or "rootAdminPW" as a password. And this message board won't accept my screen shot. Oh, wait, now it does!
Spark.png