Fienix 5.1 Spark

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
xeno74

Re: Fienix 5.1 Spark

Post by xeno74 »

Hi Daniel,

Here you are.

1. Boot Fienix from the USB disk
  2. Download the initrd for the stable kernel 5.10 (is included in the kernel 5.10.133 package): linux-image-5.10.133-X1000_X5000.tar.gz
  3. Copy the initial ramdisk (uInitrd-5.10) to the first partition of your hard disk.
Boot to Fienix

With the following commands you can boot Fienix with an initial ramdisk from a hard disk (For example for sata 1:1 - first partition on second drive):
  1. Code: Select all

setenv bootargs root=LABEL=FIENIX-DISK
  2. Code: Select all

fatload sata 1:1 1000000 uImage-5.10
  3. Code: Select all

fatload sata 1:1 1c00000 cyrus-p5020.dtb
  4. Code: Select all

fatload sata 1:1 2000000 uInitrd-5.10
  5. Code: Select all

bootm 1000000 2000000 1c00000
username: fienix
password: fienixPW
root password: rootAdminPW

You can also boot it with the block device node.
  1. Please determine the /dev path to your partition using one of the below methods:
    • In a terminal as su, enter "/sbin/fdisk -l"
    • In a terminal as su, enter "/sbin/parted -l"
  2. These instructions assume the /dev path to your partition is /dev/sdb2; however, your actual /dev path is likely to be different - use the actual /dev path to your partition.
Please modify the boot arguments.

Code: Select all

setenv bootargs root=/dev/sdb2
Please test it.

Thanks,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
Primax

Post by Primax »

@casey

Can you please provide a full image on your Fienix website, including the boot partition? If not

@all

Can anybody please upload that elsewhere?

Reason: Under Windows, obviously, it is (almost) impossible to create a working Fienix-USB stick using the USB Image Tool.
I had contacted the developer who took a lot of time to solve my problem - very kind and supportive and I appreciate his efforts.
Unfortunately, this is what he wrote in the support forum:

"You need a bootable USB device first, just restoring the 2nd 5.1 partition will not work. Your USB device needs a bootsector (first 512 bytes) with a fitting MBR + boot code. Otherwise, it will just not boot. Only thing, that might work here, is writing an 3.x Fienix image in device mode first, including the boot sector and then overwrite the 2nd partition with the new 5.1 volume image.

Bad thing is, you won't have a chance to overwrite the last partition that way with current USB Image Tool versions. They just show partitions, that are recognized and supported by Windows. Fienix images seem to be ext4. Windows won't show this as a valid partition, also will not show any files on that. USB Image Tool also does not show this in volume mode, so there is no chance to write the 5.1 volume image at the moment.

Honestly, I have not idea, how the 5.1 installation can work with this image right now. Easiest way would be a prepared device mode image with proper boot code + a 5.1 partition and everything included. Volume mode is a hassle and in 99% does not make any sense to use anymore. It will always conflict with GPT or MBR information, when not backing up/restoring exactly on the same device. I already thought of removing it in the next version at all. I will try to get this somehow working in the new 1.90 version I'm working on, but not 100% sure I will succeed."

Obviously, it is not a problem at all under Linux, so my wish: please provide a Fienix image with proper boot code.

Thank you very much,
Daniel
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Daniel,

Have you tried "dd" for Windows?

Cheers,
Christian
xeno74 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:29 pm Hi Daniel,

Please try “dd“ for Windows.

Download and instructions: DD utility for Windows backup — serverspace.io

Examples:

./dd.exe if=fienix_5.1-spark.img of=.x:

d:\dd\dd.exe if=fienix_5.1-spark.img of=\\.\x:
Unfortunately I don’t have any experiences with dd under Windows.

Have a nice day.

Cheers,
Christian

Primax

Post by Primax »

Good evening, Christian.

Of course, I will also try to go this way.
But I do not want to jump around and therefore first wanted to know, if the way via USB Image Tool is possible.
Mainly because this is the recommended way for Windows user for Fienix 3.3. So I would like to know, why casey now provides a different image for Fienix 5.1 without boot partition. Maybe there are reasons for it? If yes, then please explain it. If not, please go the easy way for the users.
I know, for you Linux and experienced users this new image is easy. But for everyone else who would like to get familiar with AmigaOne and Linux, this is far too complicated. Above all, it is obviously unnecessarily complicated. Using the USB Image Tool is such a great and easy way which also beginners like me understand. And, if I may say, the goal must be to attract more users, right? The more users there are, the more feedback we get.

I've really invested a lot of time and effort into this, because ultimately I want to explain it to other users.

Thanks for all the efforts.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Hi Daniel,

I informed Casey yesterday and he will answer your questions as soon as possible.

Cheers,
Christian

caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Primax wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:51 pm Good evening, Christian.

Of course, I will also try to go this way.
But I do not want to jump around and therefore first wanted to know, if the way via USB Image Tool is possible.
Mainly because this is the recommended way for Windows user for Fienix 3.3. So I would like to know, why casey now provides a different image for Fienix 5.1 without boot partition. Maybe there are reasons for it? If yes, then please explain it. If not, please go the easy way for the users.
I know, for you Linux and experienced users this new image is easy. But for everyone else who would like to get familiar with AmigaOne and Linux, this is far too complicated. Above all, it is obviously unnecessarily complicated. Using the USB Image Tool is such a great and easy way which also beginners like me understand. And, if I may say, the goal must be to attract more users, right? The more users there are, the more feedback we get.

I've really invested a lot of time and effort into this, because ultimately I want to explain it to other users.

Thanks for all the efforts.
Hi there! Sorry to see all the trouble you've been having! As much sense as it makes, I hadn't considered how providing only the Fienix partition (without the boot partition) prevents users from being able to image a device using other OSes or tools such as USB Image Tool. I'll make a full disk image available, which should make this process easier.
-Casey
Primax

Post by Primax »

Thank you very much, Casey. I really appreciate it!
You tell us, if it's done?

Thanks again, Daniel
gordini21

Post by gordini21 »

Hello,
After a long time of non using my Fienix installation i have try to upgrade, like i am doing on my Kali distribution at work and now it dose'nt work the mouse don't move. it doesn't matter i can do a fresh install with the new image
So i have a question
After download and flash the .img on my stick, i wnat to know if for boot the X5000 it is the same as before ?

usb reset
setenv bootargs root=LABEL=FIENIX-DISK rootdelay=5
fatload usb 0:1 1000000 uImage-5.7
fatload usb 0:1 1c00000 cyrus-p5020.dtb
fatload usb 0:1 2000000 uInitrd
bootm 1000000 2000000 1c00000

i suppose that the kernel is not the 5.7, whcih kernel is included in the image ?

Thanks
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Which img do you use? The latest img doesn’t have a boot partition with kernels, device tree blob files, and initial ramdisks.

You have to create a small FAT boot partition and then copy the kernel, dtb, and initrd to this partition. After that you can create another partition (big) for the latest Fienix img.

Primax

Post by Primax »

.... I'll make a full disk image available, which should make this process easier.
-Casey
Any news here....?
Thanks and all a nice Sunday,
Daniel