Lost panels

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

Lost panels

Post by kilaueabart »

I have made my Fienix unusable. Yesterday an icon for a function I needed to use vanished from the upper right panel. In a bit of a panic to get it back I stupidly used the Reset Panel option I found by pressing the RMB. It warned me that recent changes would disappear but I went ahead assuming the basic panel would remain, but I was wrong. Everything vanished. I am now unable to do anything in Fienix but add certain things like Clock and Shut Down back to the panel, open and use folders and files on the Desktop, and with Ctrl^Alt^1 instead of the panel icon open a terminal. I can't do important things like go on the internet, get my email, or visit this site. I am using Void right now.

I imagine there are commands I could use to start a browser from the terminal, but I haven't the slightest idea how. Odd, because it wasn't that long ago--45 or 50 years?--when computer screens had no icons and we did everything with command lines.

Maybe there's something I could do with the terminal to get all the things I need back into panels?
kilaueabart

Re: Lost panels

Post by kilaueabart »

I found out this morning that something I added to the bottom panel yesterday will let me launch various things, such as browsers, so I am using Interweb on fienix normally now. Eventually I hope to get things back to where they were. Now reboot to test 5.16.0-a2.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Hi Kilaueabart,

Sorry for my late answer. First, please click with the right mouse button on the panel and choose "Reset Panel".
You can configure your panel in the section "Panel" of "MATE Tweak". You can find "MATE Tweak" in the "Menu" - "Preferences". If you don't have a menu then you can execute it via the Terminal with the command "mate-tweak". Maybe you need another "Reset Panel" after you have selected a panel layout.
If you don't have a "menu" then click with the right mouse button on the panel and choose "Add to Panel...". After that select "Classic Menu" or "Brisk Menu". Then you can move it with another click with the right mouse button and "Move".

Please try it.

Thanks,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Thanks, Christian. I had been using Add to Panel, which I got by right-clicking on the panel, and had been successfully using Run Application.... That's how I get on line in fienix. I didn't realize your instructions were going to get me back there, but I Reset Panel and started over. This time I have a menu, thank you, and getting started well. Now I have to figure out how to get the panel icon I click to write Japanese or Korean back. It was the sudden disappearance of that that got me into this mess.