Void Linux

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

Re: Void Linux

Post by kilaueabart »

Today usb reset found my SanDisk Glide 3.0 32GB drive right away! And all three fatloads were successful. But bootm 1000000 2000000 1c00000 gave me the same Ramdisk image errors as yesterday. Why, when my first attempts before yesterday did manage to boot something, even if it was the wrong thing?

Am I having UBoot problems?

I decided to quit fooling with the USB stick, except as if= to dd to /dev/sda10.
void2.png
The USB stick was still plugged in when I did this screenshot.

With a new void to set up, I went through this Void Linux message board from the beginning again and was startled to find that I had exactly the same problems (and solution) back in Octdober and November with my first void install!
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I managed to get void working and was exploring. I came across something--in Void Installer?-- that said if I clicked it, it would upgrade my system, so I experimented and immediately regretted it. Hundreds of file names flashed by, and at the end there was a message about nearly 80 things having been upgraded. Why would anything need upgrading in a brand new void?

I used the browsers to go to some important sites and bookmark them (is there an easy way to transfer bookmarks?) and finally shut down the computer for the night. The next morning I tried to launch the new void, but ended up with that old familiar mottled green and purple screen. It had an arrow cursor in the middle that soon changed to a test cursor.

I rebooted. Same thing. This time I typed the password, and the screen changed
screen1.png
but remeained unusable, so I rebooted again.

Ditto. But typing brought a more interesting result.
screen2.png
Any bit of typing brought some change in the screen; I have no idea whether what letters I typed had any effect.

So I rebooted to fienix and used GParted to delete /dev/sda10 and set up a new one, then found
dd if=/dev/sdc2 of=/dev/sda10 && e2fsck -f /dev/sda10 && resize2fs /dev/sda10 && tune2fs -L void /dev/sda10
in the terminal and reran it. I have the new void back again, and a lot of work to make it as useful as the old one. I can't remember how I got IBus installed in the old one. I keep resetting the time in the upper right corner, and it keeps going back a few seconds later to nine hours ahead of my time! Downloads are not showing up in Home/amigaone as they do with the old void, but I want to be asked where to download. Lots of work ahead, it looks like.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:22 pm I rebooted. Same thing. This time I typed the password, and the screen changed but remeained unusable, so I rebooted again.

Ditto. But typing brought a more interesting result. Any bit of typing brought some change in the screen; I have no idea whether what letters I typed had any effect.
Thank you for your test. I think libglamoregl was installed during the update.

@All
Please rename the libglamoregl.so to libglamoregl.so.bak after the update.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I have a few problems with the new void. Here are two.

1. I have IBus Anthy sort of working. That is to say, I can type Japanese into sites that come up in Eolie, or in the search line. But any Japanese or Korean that is in the address line that shows at the top of the window comes up only as those little squares with the four code letters inside.

I cannot type readable Japanese in Pluma. Just those little code boxes. For "nihonn" "Japan" I get にほん which, here, is a box with 38 over 68, followed by two similar boxes. (I suspect that most people looking at this see the Chinese characters.) Abiword ditto.

I have to leave IBus Preference open in the bottom panel. In the old fienix it was alway available to click on in the top panel.

2. I frequently get

Code: Select all

Error

"Workplace Switcher" (or Show Desktop or Window List) has quit unexpectedly

If you reload a panel object, it will be automatically be added back to the panel.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:07 am 1. I have IBus Anthy sort of working. That is to say, I can type Japanese into sites that come up in Eolie, or in the search line. But any Japanese or Korean that is in the address line that shows at the top of the window comes up only as those little squares with the four code letters inside.
Maybe you have to configure another font.

- Christian

kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Yes, installing one seems to have worked. I pulled the fonts tab in Abiword, and apparently there were no Japanese fonts. All I did was install, haven't tried to configure anything. Two questions remain: If there were no CJK fonts, how was Eolie able to show them in on-line documents? (Now InterWeb can do it too.)
cjk.png
And what is the rectangle with the 01F/4AC in it?
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I really want to be able to print from void, but because I have an HP printer it seems I need to do it through hplip.
I downloaded hplip-3.21.12.run but it requires libjpeg which isn't in the repository.

Actually, I would rather not use hplip. I have it installed in Ubuntu and my original fienix, but it goes crazy putting splotches of color where they don't belong. I am able to print from fienix5 which has no hplip because when I click on Print or do ctrl^P, it sees the printer through my raspberry-pi. But void doesn't see it, only allows Print to file.
Roland

Post by Roland »

I updated today my Void installation (xbps-install -Su).

VLC seems now to behave peculiarly... The menus cannot be anymore navigated with mouse. You can only activate the menubar with it, but to select an item the 'arrow' and 'enter' keys has to be used, or 'esc' to exit the menus. On the bright side, VLC is not anymore closing itself when certain menu items are selected.

The problem is not due to the new VLC version (3.0.17) itself as also an old stand-alone version (3.0.12) of VLC behaves similarly with updated Void.
- Roland -
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

Same VLC issues overhere. The Menu parts once clicked dont work anymore. (You can still navigate using your keyboard)
At the moment i am making more use of Fienix than Void.
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Could you please report this issue to the Void PPC developers?

Link: Void packages issues

Thanks