Void Linux

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

Re: Void Linux

Post by kilaueabart »

Maybe senile dementia is raising its ugly head again, but while I seemed to have no trouble putting the .img on /dev/sdc, when I try to boot it, fatload usb 0:1 1000000 uImage-5.10 tells me it can't find a file with that name. Quite reasonable, since ls usb 0:1 lists only the content of /dev/sdb1! How do I get it to look at /dev/sdc? While I'm waiting for an answer, I will experiment with things like usb 0:2 and usb 1:0, etc.

I was impressed with the computers estimate of the .img download time. Usually those predictions seem to be pretty far off, but after about five minutes I checked how long it had still to go. It told me, "52 minutes." Sure enough, 52 minutes later it was done!
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:02 pm Maybe senile dementia is raising its ugly head again, but while I seemed to have no trouble putting the .img on /dev/sdc, when I try to boot it, fatload usb 0:1 1000000 uImage-5.10 tells me it can't find a file with that name. Quite reasonable, since ls usb 0:1 lists only the content of /dev/sdb1! How do I get it to look at /dev/sdc? While I'm waiting for an answer, I will experiment with things like usb 0:2 and usb 1:0, etc.
Please try usb 1:1.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

xeno74 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:14 am
Please try usb 1:1.
ls usb 1:1 gets ** Bad device usb 1 **. I've tried everything from 0:0, which gets an interesting "0:0 failed to mount ext2 ... filesystem
failed to mount iso9660 filesystem."
Any digit but "0" before the ":" gets the "Bad device" complaint.

ls usb 0:2 gets a strange result. A list of folders and files very similar to what one sees when one clicks on, say, Amigaone's Home in void or fienix. But the contents of some of those folders are from 2017! I have to find a way to figure out what usb 0:2 actually points at. But it's obviously not the new void drive.

If I remove the drive that contains the new .img, which GParted sees like this:
sdc.png
and do a usb device tree, the listing stops at 8. If I replace the drive and do another tree, this gets added at the bottom:

Code: Select all

+-9  Hub (400 Mb/s, 100mA)
  |  GenesysLogic USB2.1 Hub
  |  
  +10  Vender specific (480 Mb/s, 500mA)
      Realtek 002.11n WLAN Adapter 00e04e00000
I would expect to see "Storage Device" there.

With the drive inserted, disk icons show up for void and VOID_BOOT and opening them shows what I would expect to see, bin, boot, dev, etc, home, etc. for the former, and
cyrus-p5020.dtb
cyrus-p5040.dtb
initrd-5.10.img
uImage-5.10
uImage-5.16
uImage-5.17
uInitrd-5.10
vmlinux-5.10
vmlinux-5.16
vmlinux-5.17
zImage-5.10
zImage-5.16
zImage-5.17
for the latter. I suppose I must be doing something very wrong, but I wonder what.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Did you run the command "usb reset" before using "ls usb 1:1"?

- Christian

kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

xeno74 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:15 am Did you run the command "usb reset" before using "ls usb 1:1"?
Yes. I wish that were the problem, but it's not. Maybe I should start all over.

Something else I noticed this morning. If I don't have /dev/sdc plugged in, and run usb reset, I get

resetting usb
USB0: USB EHCI 1:00
scanning bus  0 for devices... ERROR: Invalid USB EP Length (9)
5 USB Device(s) found
USB:1 USB EHCI 1:00
scanning bus 1 for devices... 3 USB Device(s) found
     scanning usb for storage devices... 1 Storage Device(s) found
Then if I plug /dev/sdc in and run usb reset again, I get exactly the same output. usb reset is not finding all my devices! But they do appear on all my desktops, void, fienix...
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Maybe the USB power is too low if you connect too many USB devices.
The solution to that problem is to use an active USB hub and connecting the USB sticks to the X5000 through that hub.

First, could you please try it with fewer connected USB devices?

- Christian

kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

xeno74 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:10 am Maybe the USB power is too low if you connect too many USB devices.
The solution to that problem is to use an active USB hub and connecting the USB sticks to the X5000 through that hub.

First, could you please try it with fewer connected USB devices?

- Christian
Weirder and weirder!
I use an atolla USB 3.0 hub, plugged into a wall socket. Should be power enough.

Today I started out with only the void stick plugged in, but usb test listed only the eight things it did yesterday without the void stick, not the 10 it listed with the stick. USB reset listed the usual five devs for USB 0, and three devs, one storage for USB1.
Then I unplugged the USB hub from the computer, did the reset again, and got the same result.
I plugged the hub back in to the computer, did the reset with all the sticks turned off, and this time it found four devices, none storage. Another reset with the void stick turned on, and FIVE devices found, one of them storage!

Hopefully, I tried ls usb 1:0 and got a funny message, but not the "bad device" one. Next ls ubs 1:1 got a list that looked like VOID_BOOT on my Desktops, so I went through the boot routine and here I am presumably using the new void? I am surprised to see the usual Desktop files. I assumed since they aren't on the drive I'm running void from, they would be invisible to it.
newvoid.png
No, obviously I failed again! That is my old MATE 1.24.1, not the new 1.26! How in the world did it boot?

I cleaned the stick, dd'ed the .img again. When I tried to boot it, I had the reset usb problems again. Unplugged, replugged a few times and then ls usb 1:1 worked, so I went through the boot process again, but once again System Monitor tells me I am running the old void.

When the dd'ing finished, the message was
bash-5.1# dd if=void-live-powerpc-20220129.img of=/dev/sdc
15695871+0 records in
15695871=0 records out
8036285952 bytes (8.0 GB, 7.5 GiB) copied, 1778.68 s, 4.5 MB/s

bash-5.1# e2fsck /dev/sdc2 gives
e2fsck 1.46.4 (18-Aug-2021), obviously the wrong date!

But several of the files in VOID_BOOT are dated Sat 29 Jan 2022! What is wrong?
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:59 pm But several of the files in VOID_BOOT are dated Sat 29 Jan 2022! What is wrong?
I think it is better to boot with lesser USB devices plugged in. Could you please try it with lesser connected USB devices?

Do you boot with a LABEL?

In my point of view you boot with two Void USB sticks connected. That means you have two partitions with the label “void“. The kernel takes the first void partition its found during the boot and this is the old one.

- Christian

kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I can't remove my other USB stick, if that's really what it is. Desktops show it with a special icon labeled 2.9 GB Volume. GParted calls it /dev/mmcblk0. It contains my kernels and cyrus-5020.dtb. I can't boot anything without it.

This morning after unplugging and replugging my powered hub a few times, USB tree and ls usb 1:1 were both able to find it, so I went through the boot routine, exactly as you have it a page back with LABEL=void. Something strange happened, quite unlike yesterday. Fatloading the kernel reported 11384738 bytes read. But bootm failed with

Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 01000000
Data Size 11384574
Verifying Checksum ... OK
Wrong Ramdisk Image Format
Ramdisk image is corrupt or invalid
Why would the data size be 64 bytes shorter than what was read in? I tried a couple times more, then gave up.

This time I added another storage device to the powered hub after both USB tree and ls usb 1:1 failed to find my /dev/sdc drive again. Those commands couldn't find the added drive either. I was starting to suspect a hardware problem since replugging them sometimes gets USB reset to find the drives, but if it it is a bad connection, how can void and fienix desktops make them so available and how would GParted find them so easily? Color me utterly baffled.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:37 am I can't remove my other USB stick, if that's really what it is. Desktops show it with a special icon labeled 2.9 GB Volume. GParted calls it /dev/mmcblk0. It contains my kernels and cyrus-5020.dtb. I can't boot anything without it.
I understand. You have a partition with kernels and dtb files on the onboard MicroSD card. You're right you don't need to remove it.
I had some issues with old no-name USB sticks. Today I always use good SanDisk USB sticks for booting Linux on my A-EON AmigaOnes and on my Raspberry Pi 400.