Some Fienix Issues

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
acefnq

Some Fienix Issues

Post by acefnq »

After my system meltdown of last week (why did I bother putting an SSD into my system!) I have finally managed to reinstall Fienix and MintPPC booting from the mmc. The latter, MintPPC is working fine but I am having some issues with Fienix. I run dual graphics cards so for both installs I did the following:
1. Removed xorg.conf and
2. Renamed /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so

For MintPPc all works fine with my RV620 Firepro 2260 found and activated, however, Fienix would not run without a xorg.conf (fb), so I modified the original file with my device details:
Section "Device"
Identifier "ATI RV620 [FirePro 2260]"
Driver "radeon"
BusID "PCI:5@4096:0:0"
EndSection (note I changed the PCIe slot for my Firepro and adjusted the above to reflect BusID PCI:9@4096:0:0, still didn't work, (the card is identified in profiler though).

But no luck, xserver still refused to start, I then just removed everything else in the xorg.conf file but the device information again no luck. Note I can boot to my radeon 250X with the original FB conf file but drawing is painfully slow after using the Firepro for so long. Any ideas appreciated.

Another strangeness in Fienix, I added a new user with administrator powers, but there seems to be a lot of weirdness in that account seems to have been "mashed in" with the fienix user account. For example if I use the fienix account and call sudo it asks for my new user account superuser password, if I call su it asks for the fienix-root password. Also using fienix login I get 2 sets of widgets on the panel. If I log on with my new user account I only get a black screen and mouse cursor and nothing else. I did some research on this, apparently quite common in Debian and Ubuntu but no suggested fixes worked.

I have no doubt I have done something amiss to cause all this but it is strange that both distros are based on Debian but one works and one doesn't but please don't take that as a criticism Casey as I said it is probably all down to me and my lack of knowledge. I am just so perplexed and have spent hours trying to sort all this out.

As usual thanks for any advice or assistance provided.

ace
xeno74

Re: Some Fienix Issues

Post by xeno74 »

acefnq wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:21 pm After my system meltdown of last week (why did I bother putting an SSD into my system!) I have finally managed to reinstall Fienix and MintPPC booting from the mmc. The latter, MintPPC is working fine but I am having some issues with Fienix. I run dual graphics cards so for both installs I did the following:
1. Removed xorg.conf and
2. Renamed /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so

For MintPPc all works fine with my RV620 Firepro 2260 found and activated, however, Fienix would not run without a xorg.conf (fb), so I modified the original file with my device details:
Section "Device"
Identifier "ATI RV620 [FirePro 2260]"
Driver "radeon"
BusID "PCI:5@4096:0:0"
EndSection (note I changed the PCIe slot for my Firepro and adjusted the above to reflect BusID PCI:9@4096:0:0, still didn't work, (the card is identified in profiler though).

But no luck, xserver still refused to start, I then just removed everything else in the xorg.conf file but the device information again no luck. Note I can boot to my radeon 250X with the original FB conf file but drawing is painfully slow after using the Firepro for so long. Any ideas appreciated.
Have you seen any error messages? Please also look in the Xorg log files in the directory /var/log (Xorg.0.log and Xorg.0.log.old).

Thanks
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
acefnq

Post by acefnq »

Christian
Thanks. I'll take a look tomorrow. This has done my head in! -:) Turns out my Firepro was not being picked up in MintPPC, it just seemed snappier. Could anyone running with dual cards including a Firepro 2260 please post their xorg.conf here as a starter for me. Much appreciated.

ace
acefnq

Post by acefnq »

Christian some logs and details using MintPPC

Using my xorg.conf file MintPPC does not give any errors but just give me a black screen. same file on Fienix gives m a fatal error of no screens available.

As you can see form the FB logs my system is detecting the Firepro PCI:8@4096:0:0. I have tried with glamor available and without (see logs). I think the core of my problem is somewhere in the screen setup. Both cards are found but my xorg request to use the Firepro is ignored. Your thoughts if any?

ace
Attachments
Documents2.zip
(26.95 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

acefnq wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:09 am Christian some logs and details using MintPPC

Using my xorg.conf file MintPPC does not give any errors but just give me a black screen. same file on Fienix gives m a fatal error of no screens available.

As you can see form the FB logs my system is detecting the Firepro PCI:8@4096:0:0. I have tried with glamor available and without (see logs). I think the core of my problem is somewhere in the screen setup. Both cards are found but my xorg request to use the Firepro is ignored. Your thoughts if any?

ace
Hi Ace,

Something is strange in your Xorg.1.log.old-no-glamor file. This should be a non-glamor configuration but glamor was loaded successfully in this file.

Code: Select all

Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so

RADEON(0) glamor X acceleration enabled on AMD OLAND
RADEON(G0) glamor X acceleration enabled on AMD RV620

Please check your Xorg.1.log.old-no-glamor file.

Thanks,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.