Any Live Distros Available

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
acefnq

Re: Any Live Distros Available

Post by acefnq »

Thanks Roland, I have one on order.

ace
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Roland wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:41 am But what is the correct way to create or copy Linux (ext) partitions on RDB disks? Isn't there a risk that the Linux disk tools may damage the RDB or Amiga partitions, or that Media Toolbox do the same for Linux partitions, if they try to 'correct' the peculiarities they find from the 'foreign' partitions?
You don’t need the Media Toolbox. You only need free space on the HD with RDB. Linux can create a partition in this free space. There aren’t any known issues.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
acefnq

Post by acefnq »

Folks
I followed the steps given to boot from my SDcard but have hit a wall. I have done as suggested formatting, another sdcard (in my case /dev/sde1) to FAT32, I have tried 512mb and 1gb portions then copied my uboot file back to the partition using the dd command as detailed, all appears to go well until that point. On every occasion the partition becomes corrupt and unreadable and cannot be mounted. I assume it should be able to be mounted if Linux is to boot from it. I also tried using ext4, same result. This was using a 4gb card (smallest I have ) but also happened with an 8gb card.

Error message is cannot read superblock from /dev/sde1. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong. I re imaged my uboot to and tried again but same result.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

ace
Roland

Post by Roland »

acefnq wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:47 pm Folks
I followed the steps given to boot from my SDcard but have hit a wall. I have done as suggested formatting, another sdcard (in my case /dev/sde1) to FAT32, I have tried 512mb and 1gb portions then copied my uboot file back to the partition using the dd command as detailed, all appears to go well until that point. On every occasion the partition becomes corrupt and unreadable and cannot be mounted. I assume it should be able to be mounted if Linux is to boot from it. I also tried using ext4, same result. This was using a 4gb card (smallest I have ) but also happened with an 8gb card.

Error message is cannot read superblock from /dev/sde1. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong. I re imaged my uboot to and tried again but same result.
It sounds to me that either the partition you created on that uSD is in wrong place, or the U-boot is rewritten in wrong place.
Are you sure you followed these instructions when you created the partion:

Free space preceding (MiB): 512
Align to: MiB

Was the created partition mounted normally and working ok BEFORE you rewrote the U-boot block on the uSD?
- Roland -
acefnq

Post by acefnq »

Screenshot at 2021-07-18 02-18-04.png
Roland
Yes, formatted mounted then uboot reinstalled. See screenshots.

Cheers

ace
acefnq

Post by acefnq »

Roland
Does uboot get copied back to the first unallocated position? If so that's what I have done wrong, I put it on the Fat partition.

ace
acefnq

Post by acefnq »

All
Success. Once the cloud of stupidity lifted, I copied uboot.bin to the correct location and copied the uImages, dtb uRamdisk and uInitrd to the sdcard and adjusted my bootargs accordingly and voila! Thanks to all for your help. If I can indulge in asking a couple more questions.

1. Before my mishap I used to store my kernels, dtb and uRamdisk on a partition on my Linux drive. My bootargs included something like fatload sata 0:1 1000000 uImage-5.13 ; fatload sata 0:1 1c00000 cyrus-p5020.dtb ; fatload sata 0:1 2000000 uRamdisk ; bootm 1000000 2000000 1c00000

I could use the arguments to boot new kernels by changing the uImage name but to get up and running again I had to use the Fienix install image which uses uImage-5.7 and uInitrd instead of uRamdisk but that process now locks me to using uImage-5.7 because if I revert to the previous setup my boot hangs half way. (Note I do now have all the files including the uRamdisk on my mmc).

I would like to return to using any kernel without being locked to 5.7. Sorry I am not a Linux expert in any manner so I am a little perplexed as to what is the difference between uRamdisk and uInitrd and why uInitrd locks me to a specific kernel.

ace
(happy man again)
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Hi Ace,

I don’t understand your description (questions). Which boot arguments do you use exactly?

You can reconfigure the variable linuxboot for the button "Start Linux".

For example for the kernel 5.14 on the X5000/40:

Code: Select all

X5000> setenv linuxboot 'setenv bootargs root=/dev/sda2 ; load sata 1:1 1000000 uImage-5.14 ; load sata 1:1 2000000 cyrus-p5040.dtb ; bootm 1000000 - 2000000'

X5000> saveenv
Thanks,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
Roland

Post by Roland »

acefnq wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:10 pm All Success. Once the cloud of stupidity lifted, I copied uboot.bin to the correct location and copied the uImages, dtb uRamdisk and uInitrd to the sdcard and adjusted my bootargs accordingly and voila! Thanks to all for your help. If I can indulge in asking a couple more questions.
Glad to hear your got it working!

I do not know technically what is the difference between uRamdisk and uInitrd but you do not need uRamdisk when booting from a HD.
Instead, using uInitrd makes it possble to select the Linux partition by it's 'LABEL' (can be set e.g. in GParted), instead of the artificial '/dev/sdx' name which does not tell anything about the contents of a partition.

You can use uInitrd e.g. with these U-Boot command strings:

setenv bootargs root=LABEL=FIENIX
load mmc 0:1 1000000 uImage-5.10;load mmc 0:1 1c00000 cyrus_5020.dtb;load mmc 0:1 2000000 uInitrd-5.10
bootm 1000000 2000000 1c00000
uInitrd is included with the latest longterm kernel 5.10 package:
viewtopic.php?p=53337#p53337
- Roland -
acefnq

Post by acefnq »

Thanks Roland
i did some research on the difference and let's just say I could understand Swahili better-:) will download that kernel and keep playing around. much appreciated.

ace