Any Live Distros Available

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
acefnq

Any Live Distros Available

Post by acefnq »

I manged break one onboard sata connector on my x5000. Previously I had one HDD for Linux and one for OS4.1 but now I can only boot into the Amiga side. I have a sil 3112 installed where I can park my Linux drive (which has a small kernel/dtb partition at beginning), however, try as I have I cannot get it to boot via usb, I can boot the Kernels and dtb but it can't find distro partitions even though they are at sdbx. I can rearrange my OS4.1 to include Linux but I need a live distro in order to format.

It appears all of Spectre's live usb images have been removed. Is there any alternatives available?

Cheers
ace
xeno74

Re: Any Live Distros Available

Post by xeno74 »

acefnq wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:44 am It appears all of Spectre's live usb images have been removed. Is there any alternatives available?

Cheers
ace
Hi Ace,

Yes, there are some live usb images available.

MintPPC (based on Debian Sid):

MintPPC32-X5000.tar.gz (md5sum: b31c1c1ca1fcf5d4cdf110c4bce11654)

The password for both 'root' and 'mintppc' is 'mintppc'.

Installation instructions for MintPPC: MintPPC installation

-----

Fienix (based on Debian):

fienix-soar_3.0-2020608-net.img.tar.gz

Default username and password:
Username: fienix
Password: fienixPW
Root Password: rootAdminPW

I have found some boot instructions in this forum.
And there are installation instructions on the Fienix website as well.

Link: fienixppc.blogspot.com

------

MATE PowerPC Remix (ubuntu MATE 17.04):

MATE_PowerPC_Remix_2017_0.9.1.img.tar.bz2

Download Size: 5.4 GB

MD5 Checksum: 5ccc3c1e7b59290cafa31cded931c6f1

The password for both 'root' and 'amigaone' is 'amigaone'.

If you can't change to a higher screen resolution then delete the xorg.conf in /etc/X11 and try it again.

Good luck,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
acefnq

Post by acefnq »

Thanks christian. I got the Fienix one and am getting somewhere slowly, can boot into the live version but funnily it takes the root password from one of my HDD distros, so at least i can see them but was limited in what I can do but its early! -:)

I'll download the others and keep safe for the future. Thanks

ace
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

@acefng

You could boot the kernel from your MMC (SD) card (where Uboot also resides).. and have the linux running from your SIL contoller.
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Isn't it also (still) possible to have Linux boot from a partition on a drive with an Amiga RDB? At least I used to do that back when my X1000 was young.

Best regards,

Niels
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

nbache wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:04 pm Isn't it also (still) possible to have Linux boot from a partition on a drive with an Amiga RDB? At least I used to do that back when my X1000 was young.

Best regards,

Niels
I have Linux on a RDB disk too but I load the kernels and initrds from the CF card and then the kernel accesses the root Linux partition on the HD with the Amiga RDB.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
acefnq

Post by acefnq »

Thanks all. I would like to boot from the MMC card. I think I read during my research that is a tricky setup? Also, what would be the bootargs look like 9how would I point it to the card). Appreciate the help guys.

ace
Roland

Post by Roland »

acefnq wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:10 am Thanks all. I would like to boot from the MMC card. I think I read during my research that is a tricky setup?
The instructions can be found here: viewtopic.php?p=41033#p41033. Just take your time to read them carefully :-).

It is safest to do the whole operation on a second microSD card, which you can connect to an USB port with those small inexpensive USB-adapters (which already come with some uSD cards). Just check that the format and write operations are addressed to that new disk. When you have done the whole process succesfully, you can then swap the new uSD card with the original in it's holder on motherboard.

It is also best to use fat32 filesystem on the new MMC partition, instead of ext(2/3/4) mentioned in the original instructions. The partition can then be accessed more easily when you copy or delete kernel files on it.
Also, what would be the bootargs look like 9how would I point it to the card). Appreciate the help guys.
You have to change in the bootargs all "fatload sata x:y" (or "fatload usb x:y") strings to "fatload mmc 0:1".
Last edited by Roland on Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Roland -
Roland

Post by Roland »

Skateman wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:58 pm @acefng You could boot the kernel from your MMC (SD) card (where Uboot also resides).. and have the linux running from your SIL contoller.
If you mean here with "SIL controller" those SIL 3112/3512/3114 models for which there is also AmigaOS drivers, they are not a very good choise for running Linux due to their slowness. They are all only Sata1 controllers, and their speed is only half of that of the onboard Sata2 controller of X5000! Better idea would be to to buy a fast Sata3 controller card, which can be used to boot Linux if just the Kernel is first loaded from MMC.
Last edited by Roland on Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Roland -
Roland

Post by Roland »

xeno74 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:25 am I have Linux on a RDB disk too but I load the kernels and initrds from the CF card and then the kernel accesses the root Linux partition on the HD with the Amiga RDB.
But what is the correct way to create or copy Linux (ext) partitions on RDB disks? Isn't there a risk that the Linux disk tools may damage the RDB or Amiga partitions, or that Media Toolbox do the same for Linux partitions, if they try to 'correct' the peculiarities they find from the 'foreign' partitions?
- Roland -