computer stalling

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

computer stalling

Post by kilaueabart »

Often when I am engaged in some activity on the internet, using InterWeb in Fienix, the computer will start reacting slowly to my commands, sometimes so slowly I consider that it has stopped entirely. When it slows down, the white power light on my X5000 will be blinking like crazy. Attempts to close InterWeb to start over typically fail, and I have to go to the Force quit button. Occasionally that button will not work either, or even show up when I click in the upper right corner; in those cases I have to use the reset button on the box.

If the Force quit is successful, I can usually restart InterWeb and it will come back to where we left off, or somewhere leading to it, and everything will be fine thereafter.

How can I fix this?
xeno74

Re: computer stalling

Post by xeno74 »

Hi Kilaueabart,

How long can you use InterWeb? I successfully tested it very long with several open tabs including news tickers, webradio, and some other websites with Fienix on my X5000/40. I was able to monitor the CPU and RAM usage with the MATE System Monitor and they are normal (Memory used: 1.2GB, CPU usage: 7% - 25%). I also tested the same websites with Pale Moon on my Raspberry Pi 400 with 4x 2.2GHz and the CPU usage and the used Memory are the same as with the X5000/40. Both computers have the same performance.

Cheers,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
Roland

Post by Roland »

@kilaueabart

How much RAM do you have in youir machine, and do you use a SWAP disk?
- Roland -
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Roland wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:51 am How much RAM do you have in youir machine, and do you use a SWAP disk?
At the moment I can't remember how to find out how much RAM I have without opening the box. System Monitor says Memory: 3.3 GiB. I would assume that is the size of my Fienix partition? But then it has Available disk space: 79.4 GB. GParted says my Fienix partition is 97.39 GiB (15.58 used). Confusing. Senility is gradually wiping me out.

No SWAP.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:56 pm At the moment I can't remember how to find out how much RAM I have without opening the box.
You can figure it out with the command free.

free --mega (show output in megabytes)
free --giga (show output in gigabytes)

You can also see the used swap memory in the output.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
Roland

Post by Roland »

kilaueabart wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:56 pm
At the moment I can't remember how to find out how much RAM I have without opening the box. System Monitor says Memory: 3.3 GiB. I would assume that is the size of my Fienix partition? But then it has Available disk space: 79.4 GB. GParted says my Fienix partition is 97.39 GiB (15.58 used). Confusing. Senility is gradually wiping me out.
That '3.3 GiB' is the RAM size. I think that should be well enough, unless you open very many pages simultaneously in your browser.

BTW, that '3.3 GiB' RAM value suggests that in your system the RAM memory available for Linux has been limited to 3.5 GiB by using the 'mem=3500M' parameter in UBOOT settings. Do you remember whether that is on purpose...? There used to be some hardware (at least some PCI cards) which needed this to work but the newest kernel versions fixed that issue.

If you do not remember exactly the U-boot variables you use for booting Linux, you can check them from AmigaOS with the 'Nvgetvar' command in CLI window (listing can be directed to a file, e.g. "Nvgetvar >ram:uboot-variables").
- Roland -
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I do have the 'mem=3500M' in my UBOOT fienix512 script. I've been using that for a long time since Christian suggested it to fix some problem I was having. I'll try booting without it and see what happens.

Your suggestion that I use Nvgetvar from the Amiga side reminded me of another worry. I finally got rid of my internet cable a few days ago and have been using only wi-fi for the internet, and I wonder if I will be able to make wi-fi work on the Amiga. I haven't even got around to looking into it yet.