General questions about PPC unixes for x5000

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: General questions about PPC unixes for x5000

Post by kas1e »

@xeno74
After the booting of the Fienix USB stick you can test Fienix. You can also test the internet connection. If it works, then you can download the img again and save it in the partition of your booted Fienix USB stick.
Ah! That means the USB stick should be not less than 16 GB, while I do test all from 8GB, so was curious as to where download it. Anyway, thanks for the instructions, but I already deal with just 2 8GB USB sticks: one for boot, another for store .img file to copy from.
with GParted from the Fienix USB stick.
By some luck, after few reboots, I was able to use "resize2fs" and it resizes the partition to 230GB for me. So that ok.

You can also boot without an initrd if you know the block partition device name of your FIENIX-DISK root partition for example setenv bootargs root=/dev/sda2.
Oh cool!
You can set up the button "Start Linux" in the AmigaOne Early Startup Control of the AmigaOne X5000 with the following commands:
Thanks! It works!

Now, while seems by default everything detected correctly for me (my Radeon 1950XT shows in the SystemMonitor as ATI R580), I have no sound :(
I.e. in the Sound Preferences/Hardware, I have correctly detected SB Libe! 5.1, and it's enabled, but I have no sound. For example, if I run MilkyTracker, then I have in the shell "Failed to open audio device!" And the same for all other stuff (games and music players, etc).

PS. Btw, you say that Radeon RX didn't support Fienix, but did RadeonHD? Like RadeonHD r270? That will be very interesting to compare the speed of 3d acceleration of the games on Linux on x5000 vs warp3dnova on x5000.

PS2. I tried to put RadeonHD and boot: it shows me output when things start to loads up, but then black screen. Tried also RadeonRX: it even didn't show any loading output :)
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

kas1e wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:19 am Now, while seems by default everything detected correctly for me (my Radeon 1950XT shows in the SystemMonitor as ATI R580)
That's correct. It's a good card for MorphOS. ;-) Unfortunately you only have OpenGL 2.1 support. I would recommend you to use Radeon HD6xxx graphics cards because they have OpenGL 3.1 support.

kas1e wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:19 am , I have no sound :(
I.e. in the Sound Preferences/Hardware, I have correctly detected SB Libe! 5.1, and it's enabled, but I have no sound. For example, if I run MilkyTracker, then I have in the shell "Failed to open audio device!" And the same for all other stuff (games and music players, etc).
Which kernel do you use? Older kernels need the boot argument mem=3500M.

I have a SB Live (EMU10k1) and it works without any problems with new kernels.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@Xeno74
Which kernel do you use? Older kernels need the boot argument mem=3500M.
I have a SB Live (EMU10k1) and it works without any problems with new kernels.
Not sure at the moment what kernel: the one coming with the latest fienix img. Probably 5.7 or something (at least on the running I do "fatload sata 0:1 1000000 uImage-5.7" if that means anything).

How can I change the kernel to the linux-image-5.12-alpha7-X1000_X5000.tar.gz ?
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

kas1e wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:19 am PS. Btw, you say that Radeon RX didn't support Fienix, but did RadeonHD? Like RadeonHD r270? That will be very interesting to compare the speed of 3d acceleration of the games on Linux on x5000 vs warp3dnova on x5000.

PS2. I tried to put RadeonHD and boot: it shows me output when things start to loads up, but then black screen. Tried also RadeonRX: it even didn't show any loading output :)
The Radeon RX isn't supported on Linux PPC. There aren't any firmwares for RX Radeons in the latest A-EON Linux kernels.

Unfortunately the Radeon HD R270 doesn't support hardware 3D acceleration. Please use an old AMD Radeon HD 6870 or 6970 for comparing because they have the best support for 3D gaming on Linux PPC.

xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

kas1e wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:43 am How can I change the kernel to the linux-image-5.12-alpha7-X1000_X5000.tar.gz ?
Download it and replace the uImage in the boot partition and then "fatload sata 0:1 1000000 uImage-5.12".

kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@xeno74
Download it and replace the uImage in the boot partition and then "fatload sata 0:1 1000000 uImage-5.12".
Right, booted now with 5.12-a7. But still no sound :( uname -a and cat /proc/version surely show that i am on 5.12-a7 now. Have any idea where to looks next? I even tried for sake of tests mem=3500M even with 5.12, but still no sound. In the "sound preferences" card is here, "mute" is not enabled. But any app which tries to use sounds saying "can't open", or "no sound", etc.

EDIT: Oh, make it works ! Had to do "pulseaudio --start" in the shell and then sound works in all apps. But wtf ?:)

And btw, even with 5.12, RadeonHD did not work even in 2D. I.e. when things load up it shows up in the log, but then when about to switch to the new model, then the cursor just stays on screen, HDD shows that things load, but nothing shows up. So it didn't work even in 2D seems so.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

kas1e wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:49 pm Oh, make it works ! Had to do "pulseaudio --start" in the shell and then sound works in all apps. But wtf ?:)
Great. I didn't need to start pulseaudio manually. This is my sound card:

I bought this Creative Soundblaster LIVE Player 1024 PCI card for my MorphOS X5000. It works also without any problems with the latest Linux kernels. I don't have to add the RAM limit "mem=3500M" to the boot arguments.

kas1e wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:49 pm And btw, even with 5.12, RadeonHD did not work even in 2D.
You wrote Radeon HD R270. Do you mean R9 270? This card works without 3D and video hardware acceleration. Please look on the Fienix troubleshooting site: fienixppc.blogspot.com.

Another way is to create the following xorg.conf in /etc/X11 and reboot your X5000.

Code: Select all

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "fbdev"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@xeno
What exactly version of RadeonHD6xxxx is the faster and best one for Linux?

Also, Radeon HD 7xxxx is not supported on PPC linuxes on x5000 in full? Why I ask, because Radeon HD 7xxxx is at least those ones supported by Warp3DNova, so I can make a fair comparison.

And the last question: is Linux PPC video drivers (mesa and co) works with all hardware acceleration including DMA, etc?
Roland

Post by Roland »

kas1e wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:49 am And the last question: is Linux PPC video drivers (mesa and co) works with all hardware acceleration including DMA, etc?
There seems to be serious limitations, depending on the 'levels' and due to lack of acceleration support for newer cards, as Casey explains in this thread:

viewtopic.php?p=50123#p50123

With a X5000/20 you cannot run mp4 videos at higher level than 720p/25fps which is a serious handicap. With X5000/40 you can get 1080p but only due to the more powerfull CPU.
- Roland -
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@Roland
What I mean is 3D support mostly (as for video decoding there probably different kinds of optimization used). I just want to know if DMA is used in 3D drivers on Linux PPC at all, as it feels like NO.