Ghost folders

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

Ghost folders

Post by kilaueabart »

I have a couple of strange folders listed in Fienix. I'm pretty sure they don't exist, so why do they pretend to? Should I get rid of them somehow?
media-fienix.png
ghosts.png
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Ghost folders

Post by nbache »

Try "ls -ld MUTUAL" and "ls -ld 91dd*" and let's see what they show.

The -l option is for a long listing, meaning including the permission bits (and dates), and the -d is for showing the directory itself instead of the files it contains (if you could).

So the idea is to check if maybe it's right when it says you don't have permission.

Best regards,

Niels
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Hi Kilaueabart,

These are mount points from mounted or umounted partitions and you don’t have the permission to access them. Please try to access them with your root account (su).

Cheers,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

nbache wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:15 am Try "ls -ld MUTUAL" and "ls -ld 91dd*" and let's see what they show.
I remember way back in pre-dementia days I used to know what "drwxr-x-r-x" etc. meant without looking it up.

Code: Select all

root@Fienix:/media/fienix# ls -ld MUTUAL
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Jun 18  2020 MUTUAL
root@Fienix:/media/fienix# ls -ld MUTUAL1
drwxr-xr-x 3 fienix fienix 32768 Dec 31  1969 MUTUAL1
root@Fienix:/media/fienix# ls -ld 91dd*
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Aug 27 15:44 91dd8491-ac97-44c7-9611-dcabfec171a3
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Dec 17 16:35 91dd8491-ac97-44c7-9611-dcabfec171a31
The second 91dd* thing is a 2.9 GB drive where I keep uImages and cyrus-...dtbs. I can't imagine what the first one is.
MUTUAL as seen at the bottom of the left column in Caja is a thumb drive that I use to transfer files between linux and OS4. But "ls /media/fienix/MUTUAL1" shows me the files in that MUTUAL, while opening MUTUAL as Administrator brings the following!
fakeMUTUAL.png
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

kilaueabart wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:37 pm
nbache wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:15 am Try "ls -ld MUTUAL" and "ls -ld 91dd*" and let's see what they show.
I remember way back in pre-dementia days I used to know what "drwxr-x-r-x" etc. meant without looking it up.

Code: Select all

root@Fienix:/media/fienix# ls -ld MUTUAL
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Jun 18  2020 MUTUAL
d says it's a directory (not a file).

The first set of three letters is the permissions for the owner, in this case root. r=readable, w=writeable, x=executable. If a letter is present in its rightful place, the permission is given, if it's a dash, it's denied. For directories, the x bit is the permission to list the contents.

The second set is the same, but for other members of the group, in this case the root group. The third is for "others". So when you're not logged in as root, you have no permissions, since both the latter sets are dashes instead of the letters.

Christian explained above why you don't have permissions here; the are not ordinary directories, but mount points, i.e. tech stuff not to be touched by mere users :-).

Best regards,

Niels