Stop job running

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

Stop job running

Post by kilaueabart »

I think I asked about this before and got no answer. But I wonder if it has perhaps turned into a real problem.

About one time in a dozen when I shut down Fienix, a bunch of white notices will flash by too fast to read on a black screen, and things will be all set to reboot or whatever.
Maybe eight or nine times out of twelve I will be informed that there is a stop job running for User Manager ID 1000 or something like that. I tend to worry about not letting stop jobs finish and this one takes only 1:28~1:30, so I generally let it finish.
Two or three times I will be notified that there are five stop jobs running. Today I let them finish. At least the first four were done in about six minutes. The last one, "for Network Manager," stopped at 11:54, but there were still several minutes to wait while other things were being done. Usually unwilling to spend the time, I either hit the reset button or hold the power button for four seconds, but I do worry that something crucial is perhaps not being reset properly.

Well, today I have been through that repeatedly. Fienix comes up with no internet or wi-fi. "Restart." Five stop jobs. Repeat. Repeat. At one point I decided to try Ubuntu but Ubuntu came up with a false desktop as it does occasionally. I restarted but got called away before I could instruct UBoot to run ubuntu and ended up in OS4, where Odyssey worked just fine.

So here I am back in Fienix typing this in Pluma with no idea how and when I'll be able to post it. I'm going to try Ubuntu again. (Later: I did. Ubuntu came up with internet, and I grabbed this note from fienix.)

Before I left fienix I took a look at the one working log file to be found there (Xorg.0.log). Mostly that file has a few hundred (thousand?) of these lines, adding more rapidly even as I view them:

[ 79.589] (EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Invalid argument
[ 1818.722] (EE) client bug: timer event1 debounce short: scheduled expiry is in the past (-2ms), your system is too slow
[ 2101.899] (EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Invalid argument

I wonder if they relate to my problem. Then when I tried to restart, I got this dopey message:
Screenshot at 2020-10-25 06-33-42.png
"Reboot Anyway" got me a black screen with a dead cursor in the upper left corner. Ctrl^Alt^F1 etc. had no effect so I hit the restart key on the box.
kilaueabart

Re: Stop job running

Post by kilaueabart »

I stayed in Ubuntu a couple hours, then tried Fienix again. No problem. Fienix is working beautifully again today, right from the start. (I occasionally have to reboot once or twice to get it going steadily.)

As for the FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Invalid argument bit, that gets a lot of hits from a search engine, but I haven't seen complaints of them continuing steadily through the session. Mostly seem to have to do with screen/monitor problems. Immediately before the first batch of maybe 175 of those error messages I get this notice:
[ 24.672] (==) FBDEV(0): Backing store enabled

At the end of that first batch of (EE) I get [ 24.682] (==) FBDEV(0): DPMS enabled, followed by a lot of normal seting-things-up lines ending with

Code: Select all

29.393] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Logitech K800" (type: KEYBOARD, id 12)
[    29.393] (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc104"
[    29.393] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
and then right back to that FBIOPUTMAP error stuff, for the rest of the session. I currently have 23771 lines (1.1 MB) in today's Xorg.0.log.

I once had a vaguely similar problem with Ubuntu. Christian suggested I put pcie_aspm=off in the start-up script, which indeed solved that problem. I wonder if something similar can be done for this?
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

Hi kilaueabart

I also have these same log entries regarding the FBDEV ... (its the driver for the Framebuffer Device..(our videocard))
Besides many log entries i dont have troubles with my system.
You could try to remove pluma and see if this resolves you issue.. sudo apt-get remove pluma

If you need a texteditor with a GUI you could also try Leafpad (but there are many) sudo apt-get install leafpad
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Thanks, Skateman. It's nice to know I'm not the only one getting those FBDEV ... messages.
But I guess no one else gets all those stop jobs?