Fienix - Problem creating USB stick for X5000

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Skateman

Re: Fienix - Problem creating USB stick for X5000

Post by Skateman »

HI,

I have a PCIe-X1 Sata controller. SATA controller ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
On this controller i have attached a 256GB SDD running Ubuntu Linux

On my Onboard SATA controller that used the be connected to my DVD drive is now a 128GB SSD running Fienix linux.

There is no card that will give you the full functionality on all OSes! (i wish there was)

PS is your monitor connected through HDMI or VGA.DVI ??
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
tlgrooms

Post by tlgrooms »

Right now my monitor is attached thru DVI. I have tried HDMI as well.

A little further progress. I have both the downloaded image on a usb stick (usb 2.0) and the updated image from Amiga On The Lake.

With my usb stick, it boots albeit slow and I have finally after many tries gotten it to give me a password prompt and logged in. It runs VERY slowly but eventually the fienix graphical login prompt comes up and I can log in. It takes several minutes for the desktop to come up. I had pulled my ethernet card to see if it would make a difference. Everything runs very slow. I am not sure if this is my stick (usb 2.0 stick) or why?

When I boot with the Amiga on the lake image, it boots very quickly. Comes up to a cleared screen with a flashing cursor that eventually goes solid. I can get no further. CTRL + ALT + F1 does nothing.

I'm going to put my ethernet card back in to see if I can still get the slow booting stick to boot all the way up. I just wonder if the reason the AOTL stick boots so much faster is because it is a 3.0 stick? Does OS 4 support usb 3.0? I thought it was only 2.0.
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

You could try this older version and see if you can get this up and running.

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=3577

Sorry... al links seem to be dead!!...
Last edited by Skateman on Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

tlgrooms wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:42 pmDoes OS 4 support usb 3.0? I thought it was only 2.0.
No, OS4 doesn't currently support USB 3.0.

But that doesn't have anything to do with your hardware, UBoot or Linux.

Best regards,

Niels
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

tlgrooms wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:42 pm Right now my monitor is attached thru DVI. I have tried HDMI as well.

A little further progress. I have both the downloaded image on a usb stick (usb 2.0) and the updated image from Amiga On The Lake.

With my usb stick, it boots albeit slow and I have finally after many tries gotten it to give me a password prompt and logged in. It runs VERY slowly but eventually the fienix graphical login prompt comes up and I can log in. It takes several minutes for the desktop to come up. I had pulled my ethernet card to see if it would make a difference. Everything runs very slow. I am not sure if this is my stick (usb 2.0 stick) or why?

When I boot with the Amiga on the lake image, it boots very quickly. Comes up to a cleared screen with a flashing cursor that eventually goes solid. I can get no further. CTRL + ALT + F1 does nothing.

I'm going to put my ethernet card back in to see if I can still get the slow booting stick to boot all the way up. I just wonder if the reason the AOTL stick boots so much faster is because it is a 3.0 stick? Does OS 4 support usb 3.0? I thought it was only 2.0.
That's very interesting. The image used to make the AOTL disks is the exact same as the one available for download (version 3.0-2020608). I don't know why your system is locking and not allowing you to log into console, but try manually copying the xorg.conf like you did on the disk that you imaged, if you haven't done so already.

The speed difference you're noticing is likely due to the quality/speed of the disk. The disks sold through AOTL have the fastest and most consistent "real world" data transfer speeds I could find.

-Casey
tlgrooms

Post by tlgrooms »

I have just copied the xorg.conf file into the folder on the AOTL stick. Had to wait until I got back at work to have access to a linux box to do it.
Going to try to boot it again tonight to see what happens.

The other stick is so slow it is unusable and takes several tries to get logged in and then i must issue a startx command to get the graphical login to come up. This can take up to 5 minutes.. just too slow to be usuable.

I'll report back regarding the AOTL stick tonight.

The ethernet card being in or out made no difference.
tlgrooms

Post by tlgrooms »

Just booted with the xorg.conf file copied to the Amiga on the Lake stick. Booted right up to the graphical login in Fienix. Success finally!

Now to start loading some software! :)

Many thanks for all the help everyone.
:mrgreen:
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

tlgrooms wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:32 am Just booted with the xorg.conf file copied to the Amiga on the Lake stick. Booted right up to the graphical login in Fienix. Success finally!

Now to start loading some software! :)

Many thanks for all the help everyone.
:mrgreen:
Excellent, glad to hear you've got it working! Enjoy!
- Casey
eliyahu
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by eliyahu »

caseycullen wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:58 pm
tlgrooms wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:34 pm Nothing. Just sits at the login prompt. When I type in fienix for the user, i never get a password prompt. Eventually the screen clears and I have a flashing cursor in the upperleft and corner for just a short bit then it turns solid and nothing else. CTRL + ALT + F1 does nothing at that point either.
Are you able to mount FIENIX-DISK from the new image? If so, try to copy /usr/lib/fienix-gpu-bandage/xorg.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see if that helps.
Sorry no one has a more definitive answer, I don't think we've encountered this particular issue with anyone else.
I had the exact same issue on my X5000 with the most recent AOTL USB disk, and copying the xorg.conf file over to /etc/X11 solved the issue. So at least fbdev works with my RadeonHD 7790. :D

Thanks for putting together such a nice distro. My first step, though, will be to compile a working binary of GNU less.

-- eliyahu
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

eliyahu wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:44 am
caseycullen wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:58 pm
tlgrooms wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:34 pm Nothing. Just sits at the login prompt. When I type in fienix for the user, i never get a password prompt. Eventually the screen clears and I have a flashing cursor in the upperleft and corner for just a short bit then it turns solid and nothing else. CTRL + ALT + F1 does nothing at that point either.
Are you able to mount FIENIX-DISK from the new image? If so, try to copy /usr/lib/fienix-gpu-bandage/xorg.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see if that helps.
Sorry no one has a more definitive answer, I don't think we've encountered this particular issue with anyone else.
I had the exact same issue on my X5000 with the most recent AOTL USB disk, and copying the xorg.conf file over to /etc/X11 solved the issue. So at least fbdev works with my RadeonHD 7790. :D

Thanks for putting together such a nice distro. My first step, though, will be to compile a working binary of GNU less.

-- eliyahu
Were you also unable to Ctrl + Alt + F1 to login to console?