Fienix - Problem creating USB stick for X5000

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
tlgrooms

Fienix - Problem creating USB stick for X5000

Post by tlgrooms »

New AmigaOne X5000 user. Downloaded the image on my Fedora Linux box. Decompressed it and wrote the image to a USB stick using DD,
dd if=/home/tim/fienix-soar_3.0-20200426.img of=/dev/sdc

It seems to always write OK but I am getting the following error.
Unable to mount FIENIX-DISK Error mounting: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc2 missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

I can access the FIENIX-BOOT partition ok. I have downloaded the image several times and tried writing several different times as well but keep getting the same thing. I have also tried different usb sticks so I know it's not the memory stick.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd really like to get this going on my X5000.
Thanks.
gordini21

Re: Fienix - Problem creating USB stick for X5000

Post by gordini21 »

Hi,

Do you have resized the second partition to the max of the USB stick with Gparted ?
it is mandatory

But i remeber that i have had this kind of issue using linux to build the USB.

Now i use USB image tool for windows and it works

Right now I have issue after i cannot boot (see the other thread) i don't why all seem to be ok ...
tlgrooms

Post by tlgrooms »

No, have not resized the second partition. Didn't think i was that far along. Thought I had to be able to mount the second partition before I could resize it.

I have tried using the windows tool as well and the exact same thing happens when i put it in a Linux box. Can't mount the FIENIX-DISK partition.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

tlgrooms wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:30 pm No, have not resized the second partition. Didn't think i was that far along. Thought I had to be able to mount the second partition before I could resize it.

I have tried using the windows tool as well and the exact same thing happens when i put it in a Linux box. Can't mount the FIENIX-DISK partition.
Have you tried to boot from the USB stick?
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
tlgrooms

Post by tlgrooms »

I have followed these instructions on the X5000.

Begin with your A-EON X5000 system powered down and insert the USB disk into a USB port - remove any other USB disks that are plugged in
Power on your system and press ESC when the boot animation starts to load the U-Boot menu
Choose "Command Prompt" from the U-Boot menu
Type the following commands exactly as they appear below (ENTER after each line):
usb reset
setenv bootarg root=/dev/sdb2 rootdelay=5
fatload usb 0:1 1000000 uImage-5.5
fatload usb 0:1 1c00000 cyrus_p5020_eth_poweroff.dtb
bootm 1000000 - 1c00000

At this point the system just sits with a flashing cursor. Nothing else happens.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

tlgrooms wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:50 pm I have followed these instructions on the X5000.

Begin with your A-EON X5000 system powered down and insert the USB disk into a USB port - remove any other USB disks that are plugged in
Power on your system and press ESC when the boot animation starts to load the U-Boot menu
Type the following commands exactly as they appear below (ENTER after each line):
usb reset
bootm 1000000 - 1c00000

At this point the system just sits with a flashing cursor. Nothing else happens.
Which graphics card is installed in your X5000?
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

tlgrooms wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:30 pm No, have not resized the second partition. Didn't think i was that far along. Thought I had to be able to mount the second partition before I could resize it.

GParted "sees" partitions whether they are mounted or not. You do not have to mount a partition to resize it; and in fact you cannot resize a partition if it is mounted.
tlgrooms wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:50 pm I have followed these instructions on the X5000.

usb reset
bootm 1000000 - 1c00000

Per the troubleshooting:
There may be a GPU/driver compatibility issue. Fienix-GPU-Bandage may help your system boot to Fienix Desktop. Try using Fienix-GPU-Bandage:

Boot up your system, when the black screen appears press CTRL + ALT + F1 to switch to console
Enter "apt-get install fienix-gpu-bandage"
Enter "fienix-gpu-bandage"
Press 1 for Yes
Reboot
Please let us know if this fixes the issue.
Thanks,
-Casey
tlgrooms

Post by tlgrooms »

It did not. Here's what happens............

Sorry, the board won't allow me to attach a 71kb picture of it nor will it allow me to delete this post.
I never get a black screen. Everything seems to work down to this point:

Loading device tree to 03fe5000, end 03fff014 ... OK

Then the cursor is solid blue. Nothing else happens. CTRL + ALT + F1 does nothing. It just sits at this screen.
Should the FIENIX-DISK partition be unreadable like I stated above?
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

tlgrooms wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:58 pm It did not. Here's what happens............

Sorry, the board won't allow me to attach a 71kb picture of it nor will it allow me to delete this post.
I never get a black screen. Everything seems to work down to this point:

Loading device tree to 03fe5000, end 03fff014 ... OK

Then the cursor is solid blue. Nothing else happens. CTRL + ALT + F1 does nothing. It just sits at this screen.
Should the FIENIX-DISK partition be unreadable like I stated above?
To share an image you need to utilize an image sharing site like imgbb.com.

There is a new image and modified instructions at https://fienixppc.blogspot.com/p/u-boot.html. Please try it.
tlgrooms

Post by tlgrooms »

Downloading now. Will try later when I get home.

Thank you.