Kernel 5.8

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Skateman

Re: Kernel 5.8

Post by Skateman »

Hi,

I would suggest to use the 8.8.8.8 and / or 8.8.4.4 ip addresses as Name servers anyway.
Then again, reading your text below seems to suggest that for OS4 the internet is working fine.
So I launched Odyssey and clicked a bookmark, expecting the usual "Can't find server" message.
But the site came up! So I clicked on the bookmark that brought me here, and I am typing this in Odyssey.
:-)

Great Work!
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Skateman wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:45 pmI would suggest to use the 8.8.8.8 and / or 8.8.4.4 ip addresses as Name servers anyway.
Of course, if you want to make it as easy for Google as possible to know exactly where you're going ... :-D

Best regards,

Niels
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

:-)

The Google DNS servers are fast and reliable (and i have not yet see them down) ... The router itself is no DNS server and just forwards the traffic to the ISPs DNS server....

For those with Google fear i would suggest.. 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I went straight to OS4 to change the ip address this morning, tried the keyboard in Notepad, and it didn't work so I rebooted. Tried Notepad again, still didn't pay attention to the keyboard. I went ahead and launched Odyssey to test the internet anyway. It worked perfect. (So much faster than InterWeb!)

I wonder if there is a good way to find out why the keyboard recognition is intermittent. It has worked at least twice in the last three days. (No problem in Fienix or Ubuntu.)
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Sorry, I have no idea what is going on with your keyboard - that does of course make things more complicated.

I never had any keyboard problems like those - well, except with the Sams, but that is/was a different story.

I'm using standard PC type USB keyboards on all my NG Amigas - except a few of them which are connected with PS/2. None of the keyboards are wireless, only one of my mice.

Best regards,

Niels
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

kilaueabart wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:36 am I went straight to OS4 to change the ip address this morning, tried the keyboard in Notepad, and it didn't work so I rebooted. Tried Notepad again, still didn't pay attention to the keyboard. I went ahead and launched Odyssey to test the internet anyway. It worked perfect. (So much faster than InterWeb!)

I wonder if there is a good way to find out why the keyboard recognition is intermittent. It has worked at least twice in the last three days. (No problem in Fienix or Ubuntu.)
Good to hear your internet is working fine!! So you could think about removing the PCI network adapter inside your X5000 that has no function anymore. If you think odyssey is fast... give beta7 by Kas1e a try. Just extract it to a seperate folder and its ready to go. Here is the link http://kas1e.mikendezign.com/aos4/odyssey_betas/

Regarding the Keyboard.... i have used a regular USB hp keyboard in the past without any problems. You could try another keyboard to see if this resolves the issue. At the moment i am using a Mechanical Ducky branded keyboard... I have also attached a Powered USB hub to my X5000 to have more USB ports with enough power available.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

When I launched OS4 a while ago, I was delighted to see that the keyboard was working for the second time in a row. But by the time I got beta7 up and running and tried to type this I was dismayed to find it excommunicated again. So out came my old Insignia board. I don't remember when I got it; maybe for my SAM, or possibly even my A2000 20 years ago. It seems to have almost all the keys that my Logitech has except loudspeaker control and calculator, so I could consider a permanent switch.

I just noticed your reference to a Powered USB hub. I should have done my own research by now, as hampered as I have been by the lack of ports. Thanks for cluing me in that there is such a thing.

I will remove the PCI network adapter shortly. It's about time I opened up and cleaned out the dust anyway. I thought I got a map of my X5000's innards when I bought it from Amiga On the Lake, but all I can find is a reference to the motherboard, which I suppose should be all I need in the long run.

And before I quit OS4 I will redo the IP address to match Fienix's: 8.8.8.8.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

kilaueabart wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:41 pmAnd before I quit OS4 I will redo the IP address to match Fienix's: 8.8.8.8.
Note: That would be your DNS server address (or one of them, you usually want to have several of those to have a fallback in case one is not reachable temporarily), not the IP address of your own machine; that should be something in the 192.168.1.* range.

Best regards,

Niels