SliTaz PPC Linux

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
xeno74

SliTaz PPC Linux

Post by xeno74 »

SliTaz GNU/Linux is a free operating system working completely in memory from removable media such as a CDROM or SD card or USB key. It is light and speedy. SliTaz is distributed in the form of an initial ramdisk that you can easily burn to a CDROM or copy to a SD card or USB key and boot from. When the system is running you can eject the LiveCD or USB key and use your CD drive or USB socket for other tasks.

Please note: SliTaz isn't a normal desktop distribution. It's more for tinkering.

Further information: SliTaz PPC Linux (X1000 thread)

SliTaz 25 Installation Instructions for the AmigaOne X5000:
  1. Download SliTaz 25: slitaz25.gz
  2. Install the U-Boot Tools with the following command:

Code: Select all

# apt install u-boot-tools
    as root (sudo, su etc).
  3. After that create a SliTaz uRamdisk for the X5000 with the following command:

mkimage -T ramdisk -C gzip -n 'SliTaz 25 PPC Linux' -d slitaz25.gz uSliTaz25
    Output:

Image Name: SliTaz 25 PPC Linux
    Created: Sun Apr 26 14:17:04 2020
    Image Type: PowerPC Linux RAMDisk Image (gzip compressed)
    Data Size: 61531389 Bytes = 60089.25 kB = 58.68 MB
    Load Address: 00000000
    Entry Point: 00000000

4. Copy the SliTaz uRAMDisk image to the partition where you have your kernels.
  5. You can boot SliTaz from U-Boot using the commands below (for example from sata 1:1):

X5000> setenv bootargs root=/dev/ram rw

X5000> load sata 1:1 1000000 uImage-5.7

X5000> load sata 1:1 5000000 uSliTaz25

X5000> load sata 1:1 2000000 cyrus.dtb

X5000> bootm 1000000 5000000 2000000
  6. If you like to configure the network then use the following command:

udhcpc -i <network interface>

You can figure out your network interface with ifconfig -a | grep eth.

My Realtek RTL8139 has the network interface eth10 with the kernel 5.7, eth3 with the kernel 4.14, and eth0 with the kernel 4.9.70 on SliTaz.

For example with the kernel 5.7: udhcpc -i eth10
  7. Then you can try a network login via SSH and the user amigaone with the command ssh amigaone@<IP address of SliTaz>. (Password: amigaone)

root password (su): amigaone
  8. You can start X11 with the following command:

Xfbdev -retro -mouse mouse,device=/dev/input/mice -keybd evdev,,device=/dev/input/event1 | xterm -e amiwm
    Sometimes the keyboard works with event0 or event2 etc. You can figured out the address with "cat /proc/bus/input/devices".

If the character special file for example /dev/input/event3 doesn't exist on SliTaz then you can create it with the command "mknod /dev/input/event3 c 13 67".

For me with the kernel 5.7:

Xfbdev -retro -mouse mouse,device=/dev/input/mice -keybd evdev,,device=/dev/input/event5 | xterm -e amiwm
Screenshot of SliTaz on an AmigaOne X5000/40:

http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
Fogg_80

Re: SliTaz PPC Linux

Post by Fogg_80 »

Thank you very much!
I hope try in afternoon
Fogg_80

Post by Fogg_80 »

SliTaz run but dont luck with keyboard, amiwm start, I see only Workbench screen with menu and output window on screen, no icon on desktop.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Fogg_80 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:30 pm SliTaz run but dont luck with keyboard, amiwm start, I see only Workbench screen with menu and output window on screen, no icon on desktop.
You can start X11 programs with the dialog box Execute a File via the Workbench menu. For example "xterm".

Please look for keyboard entries in the output of "cat /proc/bus/input/devices" and if you have found the entries then look in these for the device name for example event0, event1, event2 etc.

Fogg_80

Post by Fogg_80 »

Thanks, just now I'm busy with Fienix :D :D :D
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by daz »

xeno74 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:07 pm Image

SliTaz GNU/Linux is a free operating system working completely in memory from removable media such as a CDROM or SD card or USB key. It is light and speedy. SliTaz is distributed in the form of an initial ramdisk that you can easily burn to a CDROM or copy to a SD card or USB key and boot from. When the system is running you can eject the LiveCD or USB key and use your CD drive or USB socket for other tasks.

Please note: SliTaz isn't a normal desktop distribution. It's more for tinkering.

Further information: SliTaz PPC Linux (X1000 thread)

SliTaz 25 Installation Instructions for the AmigaOne X5000:

[Very long instructions deleted]
I see you still like to make things hard for people... :?

You could try this:
Download: https://app.box.com/s/6nv3iequo5yieqatxwh10rp2ns0ij744

copy it to a USB stick.

Boot X5000 - drop into uboot shell.
enter following commands:
usb reset
load usb 0 4000000 slitazboot
bootm 4000000

Note: The load address is important! It prevents uboot decompressing the device tree over the ramdisk

I've booted on my X5000/20 just to test it works. Might work on an X5000/40 (But you'll lose ethernet)

The rest of these commands need Christian to fix the ram disk image..
[*] If you like to configure the network then use the following command:

udhcpc -i <network interface>

You can figure out your network interface with ifconfig -a | grep eth.

My Realtek RTL8139 has the network interface eth10 with the kernel 5.7, eth3 with the kernel 4.14, and eth0 with the kernel 4.9.70 on SliTaz.

For example with the kernel 5.7: udhcpc -i eth10

[*] Then you can try a network login via SSH and the user amigaone with the command ssh amigaone@<IP address of SliTaz>. (Password: amigaone)

root password (su): amigaone

[*] You can start X11 with the following command:

Xfbdev -retro -mouse mouse,device=/dev/input/mice -keybd evdev,,device=/dev/input/event1 | xterm -e amiwm
Sometimes the keyboard works with event0 or event2 etc. You can figured out the address with "cat /proc/bus/input/devices".

If the character special file for example /dev/input/event3 doesn't exist on SliTaz then you can create it with the command "mknod /dev/input/event3 c 13 67".

For me with the kernel 5.7:

Xfbdev -retro -mouse mouse,device=/dev/input/mice -keybd evdev,,device=/dev/input/event5 | xterm -e amiwm
Enjoy
Darren
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Darren,

Thank you!

Cheers,
Christian