Arctic Fox

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
caseycullen

Re: Arctic Fox 27.9.12 (Firefox 63.0) a fork of Pale Moon

Post by caseycullen »

Roland wrote:The depot was now working, so I did the following operations:

- removed totally Arctic Fox (for some reason SpiderWeb was simultaneously installed, I wonder why...?)
- installed again Arctic Fox
- reinstalled GreaseMonkey

Now the GreaseMonkey is active in Add-Ons, and ViewTube is also visble there. But when I open some video from Youtube, the user interface is still the standard (no menus etc. over the video), and there is obviously no acceleration (720HD is still slow). What might be wrong...?
That is puzzling...
Is Greasemonkey from the Fienix repo? Version 3.10.x? And it is "Enabled" in the Add-Ons Manager?
VLC-Plugin needs to be set to "Always Activate".
And to ensure you have the most recent version of ViewTube, install it from http://sebaro.pro/viewtube/
Roland

Post by Roland »

caseycullen wrote: That is puzzling...
Is Greasemonkey from the Fienix repo? Version 3.10.x? And it is "Enabled" in the Add-Ons Manager?
Yes, yes and yes.
VLC-Plugin needs to be set to "Always Activate".
That is set, too.
And to ensure you have the most recent version of ViewTube, install it from http://sebaro.pro/viewtube/
ViewTube is v. 2019.05.23. Should that version work?

I checked that link, but the download buttons for ViewTube of ViewTube+ just listed a script on the screen. They were not installed or saved anywhere... How should the installation be done?
- Roland -
Roland

Post by Roland »

So, isn't there anything doable to solve these problems with GreaseMonkey/ViewTube I reported...? I have already tested removing both Arctic Fox and GreaseMonkey and then reinstalling them, but it did not fix the problem.

BTW, when reinstalling them, the packages were not redownloaded from the depot. From where did Fienix take them...? Are the removed packages still stored somewhere?
- Roland -
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Roland wrote:So, isn't there anything doable to solve these problems with GreaseMonkey/ViewTube I reported...? I have already tested removing both Arctic Fox and GreaseMonkey and then reinstalling them, but it did not fix the problem.

BTW, when reinstalling them, the packages were not redownloaded from the depot. From where did Fienix take them...? Are the removed packages still stored somewhere?
You can try putting this directory (extract it first) in "/home/.org.wicknix/arctic fox/<random-user-id>/gm_scripts"
Roland

Post by Roland »

caseycullen wrote: You can try putting this directory (extract it first) in "/home/.org.wicknix/arctic fox/<random-user-id>/gm_scripts"
Thanks, but unfortunately this did not solve the problem... Addons manager showed ViewTube and Viewtube+ scripts, but no effect.

I also succeeded to install from github GreaseMonkey 3.31.1 (original is 3.10.0.1rc3pre), but activating it and deactivating the old one had no effect, either.

On the bright side, in SpiderWeb GreaseMonkey/ViewTube seems to work ok! I'am positively surprised how well the HD videos run now :-).
I though this would not be possible with X5000/20...
- Roland -
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Roland wrote:
caseycullen wrote: You can try putting this directory (extract it first) in "/home/.org.wicknix/arctic fox/<random-user-id>/gm_scripts"
Thanks, but unfortunately this did not solve the problem... Addons manager showed ViewTube and Viewtube+ scripts, but no effect.

I also succeeded to install from github GreaseMonkey 3.31.1 (original is 3.10.0.1rc3pre), but activating it and deactivating the old one had no effect, either.

On the bright side, in SpiderWeb GreaseMonkey/ViewTube seems to work ok! I'am positively surprised how well the HD videos run now :-).
I though this would not be possible with X5000/20...
Excellent! I’m glad you were able to get it set up in SpiderWeb.. it’s still very odd that Arctic Fox won’t work but the more I use SpiderWeb the more I prefer it! Now that you’re using hardware acceleration for video your Radeon is doing all the decode work instead of the CPU :)
Roland

Post by Roland »

caseycullen wrote: Excellent! I’m glad you were able to get it set up in SpiderWeb.. it’s still very odd that Arctic Fox won’t work but the more I use SpiderWeb the more I prefer it! Now that you’re using hardware acceleration for video your Radeon is doing all the decode work instead of the CPU :)
i got now also Arctic Fox to work with GreaseMonkey/ViewTube in Fienix! I configured it first in Ubuntu, and then just copied the whole 'Arctic Fox' drawer from the 'home' (via an usb volume in order to avoid issues with permissions) to the same place in Fienix home drawer. The only issue, compared to SpiderWeb, is that the video plugin setting in Viewtube menu is not saved. It is always 'auto' (which does not work) each time I open Arctic Fox. Is it possible to set the default value of this setting to 'VLC', e.g. by modifying the script itself?

I have exactly ther same feeling about SpiderWeb! It has a lot of customising options, and the bookmark menus work ok, too. But neither SpiderWeb or Fienix can show videos/live from some sources important to me (e.g. http://areena.yle.fi/tv). Thus, I still have to use the old Firefox 49 for those, and without hardware acceleration the maximum resolution is very low.

Would it be possible to integrate this video acceleration support more directly to the OS, so that any video site could be used faster, without customised scripts...? The number of supported sites is still quite limited with ViewTube/ViewTube+.
- Roland -
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Roland wrote:
caseycullen wrote: Excellent! I’m glad you were able to get it set up in SpiderWeb.. it’s still very odd that Arctic Fox won’t work but the more I use SpiderWeb the more I prefer it! Now that you’re using hardware acceleration for video your Radeon is doing all the decode work instead of the CPU :)
i got now also Arctic Fox to work with GreaseMonkey/ViewTube in Fienix! I configured it first in Ubuntu, and then just copied the whole 'Arctic Fox' drawer from the 'home' (via an usb volume in order to avoid issues with permissions) to the same place in Fienix home drawer. The only issue, compared to SpiderWeb, is that the video plugin setting in Viewtube menu is not saved. It is always 'auto' (which does not work) each time I open Arctic Fox. Is it possible to set the default value of this setting to 'VLC', e.g. by modifying the script itself?

I have exactly ther same feeling about SpiderWeb! It has a lot of customising options, and the bookmark menus work ok, too. But neither SpiderWeb or Fienix can show videos/live from some sources important to me (e.g. http://areena.yle.fi/tv). Thus, I still have to use the old Firefox 49 for those, and without hardware acceleration the maximum resolution is very low.

Would it be possible to integrate this video acceleration support more directly to the OS, so that any video site could be used faster, without customised scripts...? The number of supported sites is still quite limited with ViewTube/ViewTube+.
Make sure your private browsing isn't turned on... I think its in Tools, Preferences, and then maybe Privacy. There is a setting where Arctic Fox won't remember history or preferences so maybe that's the reason it isn't remembering VLC.
Unfortunately I don't think there will be a complete, catch-all solution for streaming hd video through a web browser with hardware acceleration soon. You could ask Sebaro to add support for a website to ViewTube+ in the meantime: http://sebaro.pro/contact/
-Casey
Roland

Post by Roland »

caseycullen wrote: Unfortunately I don't think there will be a complete, catch-all solution for streaming hd video through a web browser with hardware acceleration soon. You could ask Sebaro to add support for a website to ViewTube+ in the meantime: http://sebaro.pro/contact/
I sent yesterday a request to add support for "http://areena.yle.fi/", and today there was a version (1.10.19) already having it! But unfortunately it did not yet work, at least for me... Could you, Casey, and also other users test that site with the latest version of ViewTube+? Thank you!-)

When I reported at 'sebaro.pro' about this I got an advice to increase a timeout value, but I did not find such string

Code: Select all

1439: "}, 2000);"
from the script...?!
- Roland -
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Roland wrote:
caseycullen wrote: Unfortunately I don't think there will be a complete, catch-all solution for streaming hd video through a web browser with hardware acceleration soon. You could ask Sebaro to add support for a website to ViewTube+ in the meantime: http://sebaro.pro/contact/
I sent yesterday a request to add support for "http://areena.yle.fi/", and today there was a version (1.10.19) already having it! But unfortunately it did not yet work, at least for me... Could you, Casey, and also other users test that site with the latest version of ViewTube+? Thank you!-)

When I reported at 'sebaro.pro' about this I got an advice to increase a timeout value, but I did not find such string

Code: Select all

1439: "}, 2000);"
from the script...?!
He's saying to scroll down to line 1439 and change it from "}, 2000);" to a higher value. Maybe try "}, 2500);". You can open and edit the script from "/home/.org.wicknix/<random-profile-name>/gm_scripts" for Arctic Fox or "/home/.wicknix/<random-profile-name>/gm_scripts" for SpiderWeb.
-Casey