Arctic Fox

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

Re: Arctic Fox 27.9.12 (Firefox 63.0) a fork of Pale Moon

Post by kilaueabart »

Sometime in the past I downloaded Arctic Fox 27.9.19 to Ubuntu/home/bart/Downloads, and unarchived it there. Quite possibly I never got around to finding a better place to install it.
I have discovered to my great surprise that I can run that Arctic Fox from /media/fienix/MATE/home/bart/Downloads!
Should I be able to do that? There are certain other programs that I have to go to Ubuntu to use because Fienix can't get them (e.g. gnucash). I tried running gnucash from someplace I found it in /media/fienix/MATE/ but as expected no soap.
Roland

Post by Roland »

kilaueabart wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:58 am Sometime in the past I downloaded Arctic Fox 27.9.19 to Ubuntu/home/bart/Downloads, and unarchived it there. Quite possibly I never got around to finding a better place to install it.
I have discovered to my great surprise that I can run that Arctic Fox from /media/fienix/MATE/home/bart/Downloads!
Should I be able to do that? There are certain other programs that I have to go to Ubuntu to use because Fienix can't get them (e.g. gnucash). I tried running gnucash from someplace I found it in /media/fienix/MATE/ but as expected no soap.
I cannot tell why that worked... But in general, I have solved all kind of 'permission' dilemmas by keeping those 'stand-alone' programs (which I want to use with different distros/ installations) on a NTFS formatted partition. In that way, the programs on it are freely usable from any distro, as soon as the partition is mounted. On NTFS filesystem there is no 'owner' of the files.

The settings of those programs are individual for each distro, though, they are saved to the current home folder. But if you need to copy some settings files/folders from one distro (or user account) to another, you can again take advantage of the 'anonymity' of NTFS by simply copying them first on a NTFS (or FAT) partition and from there to the final destination. That way you don't need to change manually the ownership of files.
- Roland -
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Arctic Fox for Ubuntu 10.04 works on Debian (32-bit userland) as well.

Code: Select all

17.04  zesty/MATE PowerPC Remix 2017      stretch / sid
16.10  yakkety    stretch / sid
16.04  xenial     stretch / sid
15.10  wily       jessie  / sid   - 8
15.04  vivid      jessie  / sid
14.10  utopic     jessie  / sid
14.04  trusty     jessie  / sid
13.10  saucy      wheezy  / sid   - 7
13.04  raring     wheezy  / sid
12.10  quantal    wheezy  / sid
12.04  precise    wheezy  / sid
11.10  oneiric    wheezy  / sid
11.04  natty      squeeze / sid   - 6
10.10  maverick   squeeze / sid
10.04  lucid      squeeze / sid
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

The latest release of Arctic Fox has been added to the Fienix repositories.
I've also added gnucash - you can request software that you'd like added.
-Casey
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

caseycullen wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:07 am you can request software that you'd like added.
-Casey
Thank you! I never would have guessed it would be that easy!
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

kilaueabart wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:47 am
caseycullen wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:07 am you can request software that you'd like added.
-Casey
Thank you! I never would have guessed it would be that easy!
But it turns out not to be quite that easy after all. Attempts to download gnucash tell me I have to fix broken packages first but no hint as to what packages are broken or how to fix them.
More disturbing! I get the same complaint trying to install Arctic Fox!
Ditto Interweb, so I have to assume the broken package is in my machine somewhere, but how to find?

I asked DuckDuckGo about that, and found answers for use in Ubuntu

root@Fienix:/home/fienix# apt install -f
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
root@Fienix:/home/fienix# dpkg --configure -a
dpkg: warning: 'ldconfig' not found in PATH or not executable
dpkg: warning: 'start-stop-daemon' not found in PATH or not executable
dpkg: error: 2 expected programs not found in PATH or not executable
Note: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and /sbin
root@Fienix:/home/fienix# dpkg -l | grep ^..r
root@Fienix:/home/fienix#

Found a few more things to try (in Ubuntu), but no soap. /usr/local/sbin is empty, but /usr/sbin and /sbin are full of stuff. Haven't been able to find out how to check "root's PATH." Well, maybe I did:

fienix@Fienix:~$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games

What next?
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Curiouser and curiouser. Today I found gnucash-4.1.tar.bz2 in Downloads, but have no idea how it got there, since Synaptic refuses to send it. I did unarchive it and try unsuccessfully to figure out a way to run it from /Downloads/gnucash-4.1/, but utterly baffled.

Today I was successful at refreshing synaptic and upgrading. Then just for the heck of it I tried downloading gnucash-common and gnucash-docs, ignoring gnucash itself, and I was successful in installing them, or at least so Synaptic informs me. I haven't really tried to find out where they might be on my disk yet. Probably no real point in doing so, without the main program.

Made one more try at gnucash without success, but when I check its Properties, I get Status: [!] Broken. So now I am starting to wonder if there is something wrong with the package at Synaptic and not something broken on my own computer.

I didn't notice until just now that this conversation is not taking place in the main Fienix thread. Maybe I should move it.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Hi All,

Wicknix has released Arctic Fox 27.11.0. :-)
Riccardo Mottola wrote: Please try this, it is the greatest change in AF releases ever. 6 months of Lockdown due to COVID permitted an incredible amount of patches to be imported from FF mainstream.
There are improvements in many parts, including JIT, JS support... go!
Change Log

Downloads:
Support thread: forums.macrumors.com

For Ubuntu 10.04: You need to install the GCC 4.8 and the libatomic1 via the repository 'ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test'.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test

sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install gcc-4.8 g++-4.8
Screenshots of compiling and testing the new Arctic Fox 27.11.0:

Cheers,
Christian

Skateman

Post by Skateman »

Arctic Fox 27.11.0 up and running fine on the AmigaONE X5000

Big picture http://www.skateman.nl/wp-content/uploa ... 222049.png
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Skateman wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:25 pm Arctic Fox 27.11.0 up and running fine on the AmigaONE X5000
Great! Thank you for testing! :-) This version is really impressive because it runs on an old Power Mac G3 with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS PowerPC and also on a modern PC or Intel Mac with the latest Ubuntu 20.10 x86. :-)