Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Roland

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by Roland »

xeno74 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:37 pm
Roland wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:51 am Where in Fienix (and Ubuntu) is localted the counterpart of this directory (from Red Hat):

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ ?

I got a tip to modify the files there (ifcfg-***) to solve the 'variable mac' ptroblem with TG-3468 (https://access.redhat.com/solutions/70215).
/etc/network
Thanks... But I was not able to localize there any ethernet interface scripts (similar to ifcgf-files) whch could be modified. Should I create it there myself? How should it be named...?
- Roland -
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Roland wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:27 pm
xeno74 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:37 pm
Roland wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:51 am Where in Fienix (and Ubuntu) is localted the counterpart of this directory (from Red Hat):

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ ?

I got a tip to modify the files there (ifcfg-***) to solve the 'variable mac' ptroblem with TG-3468 (https://access.redhat.com/solutions/70215).
/etc/network
Thanks... But I was not able to localize there any ethernet interface scripts (similar to ifcgf-files) whch could be modified. Should I create it there myself? How should it be named...?
Fienix uses NetworkManager to manage connections instead of /etc/network scripts. You can set a permanent mac address from the Control Center > Advanced Network Configuration. Otherwise the configuration files are at /etc/NetworkManager. References here and here.
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Skateman wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:32 am Regarding Fienix..
I think most X5000 users bought their machine as being an Amiga running AmigaOS4.X
A second OS like Linux is fantastic, but changing AmigaOS compatible hardware like the Videocard is not something that many users will do.
I would suggest that by default Fienix will be using the FBdev. Two distro`s could also be an option. 3D Hardware support and FBdev based.
Thanks for your feedback. I agree with your comment on the video card situation. I had hoped the fienix-gpu-bandage would have provided an easy enough resolution but I wasn't aware that logging into console didn't work for so many people. Future releases will default to fbdev.
-Casey
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

InterWeb and SpiderWeb have been updated in the Fienix repositories for better theme consistency.
Arctic Fox has been added.
-Casey
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Also: if you tried to install Minetest but it did not work, please either uninstall/reinstall the below packages or use Synaptic to "Force Version" to the version that is currently in "Additional":
libluajit-5.1
libluajit-5.1-common
libluajit-5.1-dev

Additionally, install the package "luajit".
-Casey
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Curiouser and curiouser. Today I found gnucash-4.1.tar.bz2 in Downloads, but have no idea how it got there, since Synaptic refuses to send it. I did unarchive it and try unsuccessfully to figure out a way to run it from /Downloads/gnucash-4.1/, but utterly baffled.

Today I was successful at refreshing synaptic and upgrading. Then just for the heck of it I tried downloading gnucash-common and gnucash-docs, ignoring gnucash itself, and I was successful in installing them, or at least so Synaptic informs me. I haven't really tried to find out where they might be on my disk yet. Probably no real point in doing so, without the main program.

Made one more try at gnucash without success, but when I check its Properties on Synaptic, I get Status: [!] Broken. So now I am starting to wonder if there is something wrong with the package at Synaptic and not something broken on my own computer.

I hope I will be forgiven for copying this over from an ArcticFox board to this more appropriate one.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

caseycullen wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:50 am If you want to try out the new theme and tell me what you think, I packaged a "draft candidate" .deb that you can download here. After you install it, go to Control Center, Appearance, and select "Fienix Default".
I can't see any difference in the theme because of all the windows in the way, I guess. But I thought I'd give it a go and did the download.
One more sign that my computing days are about over? Once I had it downloaded all I could do was bemoan the fact that I have no idea how to install it. But I took a look at Control Center, Appearance anyway out of curiosity. I must have clicked some things to see what would happen because I ended up with some fun new icons panel and desktop.

No knowing how to install is why if I want to run ArcticFox I have to do it from /Downloads/ArcticFox/ArcticFox. More research ahead.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I guess nobody else knows how to get gnucash in fienix either, so I'll remove the question .
Last edited by kilaueabart on Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Can't delete this useless post but maybe I can make it take less space.
Last edited by kilaueabart on Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Hi Casey,

I updated Fienix today. Unfortunately "mate-screenshot" doesn't work anymore. Could you please test it?

Thanks,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.