Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
xeno74

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by xeno74 »

Hi Casey,

Unfortunately I don’t have any experience with Debian installer.

Sorry,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
Roland

Post by Roland »

caseycullen wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:42 pmFienix cannot use a simple preseed file like MintPPC does, because Fienix does not use the Debian repository and our repository structure does not match Debian's. Does anyone have any experience with Debian installer who might be able to help out?
Have you tried to contact Spectre...? He has not been active here lately, so maybe PM at some other forum would reach him better.
- Roland -
Roland

Post by Roland »

When I today tried to update my Fienix-Soar installation with Synaptic, I found a dependency problem:

This was from Linux-Util:
E: /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-pzzZyR/10-fienix-gpu-bandage_1.0.1-fienix_powerpc.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/fienix-gpu-bandage', which is also in package fienix-gpu-reset 1.0-fienix

And this one from Arctic Fox:
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/fienix-gpu-bandage_1.0.1-fienix_powerpc.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/fienix-gpu-bandage', which is also in package fienix-gpu-reset 1.0-fienix
- Roland -
Roland

Post by Roland »

@Casey @Xeno @Others

Should 'Kodi' work in Fienix? It does not start, I always get 'Segmentation fault' when I try to run it. Has it been compiled without 'altivec' if there is an option for it...?
- Roland -
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

In Ubuntu I use Remote Desktop Viewer to properly shut down my Raspberry Pi. I wonder if there is anything similar for Fienix?

The only thing I use Raspberry Pi for nowadays is to print files from the X5000 on my HP OfficeJet Pro. For some reason I cannot get a decent print from the X5000--there are always weird color smears even if I set to Black only Grayscale. The Pi handles printing fine (as do my cell phone and laptop), but I always feel that I should shut it down from its desktop instead of just turning off its power, thus my desire for a remote viewer.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Can you connect to it with SSH as root?

Then you can probably just issue a "shutdown now" (or "shutdow -r now" for restart).

(Disclaimer: I don't have a Raspberry thingie, but if it runs some form of Linux ...)

Best regards,

Niels
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

nbache wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:56 am Can you connect to it with SSH as root?
https://www.hostinger.com/tutorials/ssh ... s-ssh-work says I can. Thanks for the suggestion. Now I just have to find the IP address for {host}. Presumably "root" will work for {user}. I presume at worst I'll only have to hook the monitor up directly to the Pi to find it but I'm going to see if I can figure out something without messing with those wires.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Well, if you can connect to the desktop of the Pi using Ubuntu, you should be able to find the Pi's IP address etc. there and note it down.

Best regards,

Niels
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Well, here's what dementia does. I realized I could get on Pi from Ubuntu and went there. Ran the remote desktop program, and it wanted to know my password. So long since I used it, I didn't remember, but what the heck, I have a list passwords on my Desktops, so I looked it up, and it turns out I had included the IP address along with the password. But when I tried "ssh root@192.168.1.83" it turned out my recorded password is not root's password.
I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find root's password, or else the name of the User whose password I do know. I assume the latter should also work. No time today, but maybe tomorrow.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

I don't think any other user than root will be able to issue a shutdown (at least unless you have created special permissions or whatever).

Best regards,

Niels