Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
xeno74

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by xeno74 »

icbrkr wrote: Thanks for the suggestions. Did exactly that, but it's still unable to find eth0.

Trying /sbin/dhclient eth0 gives a eth0 not found. Added it to /etc/network/interfaces and removed the dummy entries, and rebooted... still the same issue.

Tried adding /eth1 as well since I have multiple NICs and nothing.

Since I'm assuming it does NOT work with the onboard NIC, what NIC is everyone using?
Please post the output of "ip a".

Thanks
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote:Another thing while I'm here. I haven't found a way to get Wi-fi in Fienix, but I notice that some of Christian's screen shots show what looks like a wi-fi icon in the panel to the right of the loudspeaker. Can I do that too?
You need the following packages to get Wi-fi in Fienix:
Casey added these packages to the Fienix repository two days ago. You have to install these packages above.

Code: Select all

Unable to connect to ppcutopia.ddns.net:http:
But I saw in your output that the repository isn't available currently. Please wait until the repository is available and then install the packages above.

-- Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

xeno74 wrote:
kilaueabart wrote:Another thing while I'm here. I haven't found a way to get Wi-fi in Fienix, but I notice that some of Christian's screen shots show what looks like a wi-fi icon in the panel to the right of the loudspeaker. Can I do that too?
And of course some WiFi hardware such as a WiFi card or other type of WiFi NIC - don't remember if you already have that.

Best regards,

Niels
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Hi everyone,
The repository is back up. Sorry about that!
-Casey
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

xeno74 wrote:
kilaueabart wrote: I haven't found a way to get Wi-fi in Fienix
(list deleted)
Casey added these packages to the Fienix repository two days ago. You have to install these packages above.

But I saw in your output that the repository isn't available currently. Please wait until the repository is available and then install the packages above.
-- Christian
Got on the repository and spent a while installing or upgrading 720 packages, and removing eight. This is the second time I have upgraded everything upgradable and wondered whether I should really do that.

I'm hoping that the packages you mention would be among those installed. Maybe getting them to work would require a reboot? First reboot (requiring the Ctrl^Alt^F3, su, "systemctl restart lightdm" workaround) didn't get internet. "enP4096p4s4 is down." Next reboot worked more naturally, but same message from the "world" icon. Fortunately Ubuntu doesn't care if enP4096p4s4 is down or not. But I'm hoping someone might throw me a hint re how to get it back up for Fienix.
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

kilaueabart wrote:
xeno74 wrote:
kilaueabart wrote: I haven't found a way to get Wi-fi in Fienix
(list deleted)

-- Christian
Got on the repository and spent a while installing or upgrading 720 packages, and removing eight. This is the second time I have upgraded everything upgradable and wondered whether I should really do that.

I'm hoping that the packages you mention would be among those installed. Maybe getting them to work would require a reboot? First reboot (requiring the Ctrl^Alt^F3, su, "systemctl restart lightdm" workaround) didn't get internet. "enP4096p4s4 is down." Next reboot worked more naturally, but same message from the "world" icon. Fortunately Ubuntu doesn't care if enP4096p4s4 is down or not. But I'm hoping someone might throw me a hint re how to get it back up for Fienix.
It is fine to upgrade packages when upgrades are available.
enP4096p4s4 would be your network connection. So did your network connection work before, but after the upgrade it does not?
Did you install the packages Christian listed or just apply the upgrades that were available?
Roland

Post by Roland »

There was available in the Fienix depot this update: "rdnssd 1.0.4-1". But installing it would have removed network-manager and network-manager-gnome!? Why that...? Did not run the update, of course!-)
- Roland -
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

caseycullen wrote:
kilaueabart wrote:
xeno74 wrote: You need the following packages to get Wi-fi in Fienix:
(list deleted)
I'm hoping that the packages you mention would be among those installed. ... "enP4096p4s4 is down." Next reboot worked more naturally, but same message from the "world" icon. Fortunately Ubuntu doesn't care if enP4096p4s4 is down or not. ...
enP4096p4s4 would be your network connection. So did your network connection work before, but after the upgrade it does not?
Did you install the packages Christian listed or just apply the upgrades that were available?
That enP4096p4s4 looks like the number I always saw when I was trying to see if Wi-fi was available, but I'm not positive about the p4s4 on the end. I have obviously had some network connection as long as I have been using Fienix.
As I said, I was hoping that the packages Christian listed being added to the repository meant that they would be installed when I upgraded with Synaptic, so I did not try to figure out how to install them. Now that they are no longer available via internet-less Fienix maybe there is no way to install them? A real catch-22.

I have just saved the files in question to a folder in Ubuntu, in case there might be a back-door installation procedure.
Amiguy

Post by Amiguy »

Hello,

Your tests on Fienix are very interesting and they are a great help for me to build the OS. I encounter the same problem as kilaueabart, presented in a previous post: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.com ... 8&start=50

Did you manage in the meantime to find a solution for the graphical problem when starting Fienix?

Regards
Amiga 1200 2Mb Chip - PiStorm32 lite - CF 128Gb - Indivision MK3 - GOEX Drive - WB 3.2.2.1
AmigaOne X5000 2Ghz / 8Gb Ram - SSD 2x4Tb - Radeon RX 580 4Gb - Sound Blaster Audigy FX 5.1 SBX - AmigaOS4.1 FE
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

kilaueabart wrote:That enP4096p4s4 looks like the number I always saw when I was trying to see if Wi-fi was available, but I'm not positive about the p4s4 on the end. I have obviously had some network connection as long as I have been using Fienix.
As I said, I was hoping that the packages Christian listed being added to the repository meant that they would be installed when I upgraded with Synaptic, so I did not try to figure out how to install them. Now that they are no longer available via internet-less Fienix maybe there is no way to install them? A real catch-22.

I have just saved the files in question to a folder in Ubuntu, in case there might be a back-door installation procedure.
We should get your wired networking up and running again first. Let's see if dhclient can get you back online; please enter the following into terminal: "/sbin/dhclient eth0"
Then, please enter "ip -a" and post the output.