Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
xeno74

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by xeno74 »

Roland,
Roland wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:28 am How can the administrators do their job if the 'root' account has such unlogical limitations?!
Administrators use "useradd" and this is available in Fienix. ;-)

Code: Select all

/usr/sbin/useradd -m christian

passwd christian
That's all. ;-)

Note: Casey works alone on Fienix. This is really a lot of work. If you know things better then try to help him with good instructions. For example: I figured out that the command xyz doesn't exist in Fienix. Could you please add the package xyz to Fienix? Or I figured out that the program xyz doesn't work reliable. Please modify the value xyz in the config file xyz.

Thanks,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
Roland

Post by Roland »

xeno74 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:59 pm Roland,
Roland wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:28 am How can the administrators do their job if the 'root' account has such unlogical limitations?!
Administrators use "useradd" and this is available in Fienix. ;-)

/usr/sbin/useradd -m christian

passwd christian
That's all. ;-)

Note: Casey works alone on Fienix. This is really a lot of work. If you know things better then try to help him with good instructions. For example: I figured out that the command xyz doesn't exist in Fienix. Could you please add the package xyz to Fienix? Or I figured out that the program xyz doesn't work reliable. Please modify the value xyz in the config file xyz.
My question was not meant as critisism towards Caseys magnificent work!!! I thought that is a _general_ limitation in Linux, which sounded peculiar to me. I did not know there is also a terminal command for that, so I would not have been able to suggest to add it ;). Besides, I understood from Casey's answer that doing the job via Terminal can cause problems, similar I have now, though from different reasons.

And speaking more generally, we ordinary end users do not _know_ what is potentially available and what is not, so we cannot usually give such detailed instructions! We can only report what is not working, and hope there is maybe some solution for it... I have reported here many problems which has not been commented by anyone in any way, so it is often difficult to know whether there is some fix, or whether the problem is just unsolvable.

BTW, did you test the audio link I gave in my previuous message? Did you get them work in any of Wicknix's Browser...? I was thinking maybe there is just some setting this kind of stupid enduser cannot set correctly...?-)
- Roland -
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Roland wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:34 pm And speaking more generally, we ordinary end users do not _know_ what is potentially available and what is not, so we cannot usually give such detailed instructions! We can only report what is not working, and hope there is maybe some solution for it... I have reported here many problems which has not been commented by anyone in any way, so it is often difficult to know whether there is some fix, or whether the problem is just unsolvable.

BTW, did you test the audio link I gave in my previuous message? Did you get them work in any of Wicknix's Browser...? I was thinking maybe there is just some setting this kind of stupid enduser cannot set correctly...?-)
Important note: A-EON AmigaOnes have been built for OS4.1. Linux isn't official supported by A-EON. We try to support Linux as good as we can. There isn't any enduser support available. We help voluntarily. You have only support for OS4.1. If you buy MorphOS then you have support for it too but not for Linux. Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.

BTW, I don't have any issues with changed desktop properties of the first self-created account.

nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

@Roland:
we ordinary end users do not _know_
This is maybe part of the problem.

Linux is not really meant as an end user OS.

As xeno74 puts it, "Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.". Perhaps one ought to add "- and some previous knowledge of Linux.".

But it is definitely possible to learn, just don't expect it to be as straightforward as an end-user OS.

Best regards,

Niels
Roland

Post by Roland »

nbache wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:59 pm @Roland:

As xeno74 puts it, "Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.". Perhaps one ought to add "- and some previous knowledge of Linux.".

But it is definitely possible to learn, just don't expect it to be as straightforward as an end-user OS.
So, is your point that we 'end users' should not post here and ask questions (because we are waisting the time of the experts here?), until we are 'learned enough' for that...?! But how else can we learn anything than by asking questions...? Or do you mean that we should ask these questions somewhere else...? (If you know some other forum where they know something about Fienix and PPC Linux please us know !-).

I have used Linux around 5 years (first years only PC versions) by now... I do not myself think Linux is too complicated, so that 'end users' cannot use it. And I think that I have managed quite well with Amiga Linux, too.

But maybe I should ask from all the public here:

Do you think my questions and existence in this forum has indeed been stupid/needless and I should leave from here, until I am much more wiser and able to ask the 'right' questions...? Please let me know!
- Roland -
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Roland wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:35 pm So, is your point that we 'end users' should not post here and ask questions (because we are waisting the time of the experts here?
Roland,

Of course you can ask questions but it could be that you don't get an answer for every question. The Linux universe is really big. There are programmers for the apps and commands, kernel developers and the Debian maintainers. All these guys are working indirectly for Fienix and update very often their software.

Kernel -> apps/commands -> packaged and configured by Debian maintainers -> configured and distributed with Fienix.

We aren't able to support all apps, commands including updates etc. This is the reason why you won't get always an answer.

If you don't get an answer please try to figure out the issue yourself (google, learning etc) and solve it. After that it would be great if you can post the solution here.

Cheers,
Christian

nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Roland wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:35 pm
nbache wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:59 pm @Roland:

So, is your point that we 'end users' should not post here and ask questions
No. I'm only trying to explain why things don't always seem to work like you'd expect from an end-user perspective. I'm not trying to tell you in any way what to do or not do, only to give a bit of perspective.

I'll admit in hindsight that the word "problem" was not really well chosen.

Best regards,

Niels
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

caseycullen wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:28 pm
Hi Everyone,
Thank you for your recent reports on bugs and issues. Unfortunately life and my "real job" has been taking up most of my time lately
Too bad for us, but great that you still have a real job when so many do not because of a non-computer virus.
kilaueabart wrote: Two small annoyances to add to the inability to type Japanese and Korean with fienix: When I log on I always get this "Failed to run Redshift,"
caseycullen wrote:Have you determined the programs and fonts that you need in order to type Japanese and Korean? I remember that I added a few in the past but it didn't seem to fix the issue completely. If you've identified the missing piece(s) I'm happy to add them.
OK, Redshift fixed, thank you. I should poke around more in Control Center, but I'm a bit timid.
I thought you supplied both Japanese and Korean, but I ended up getting Korean from Synaptic and immediately upgrading to a better font. What this means is that if I get a document in those languages it displays fine. And there are web pages that one can use to type bits of the languages and copy and paste to where you want it.
Meanwhile in Ubuntu I can type those languages directly into email, Notepad, file name slots, whatever, without running a browser. As I recall I use .IME and IBus, neither of which are to be found in Synaptic. I Duck-Duck-Go "googled" for how to write those languages in Linux installations and came away empty-handed. When I specify Ubuntu, I get all kinds of hits.
kilaueabart wrote: ... One of the greatest delights of the original fienix was that I could print properly with it although I had never set up any printing services in it. With Ubuntu I had installed some HP stuff, but printing anything more than a text file brought some degree of false color smearing.

Fienix finds my printer, and tells me it is "getting printer information..." But it never does. I have to go through my Raspberry Pi after all.
caseycullen wrote: I'll look into the printer issue. You have an HP printer then? Is it wireless?
My phone, my tablet, and the Windows laptop my daughter gave me all seem to think it is wireless. Yes, HP OfficeJet Pro 8710. Ubuntu and the Raspberry Pi consider it wired. I find it listed in fienix's Wi-Fi Networks. I tried connecting with that using what my printer tells me is the password ("12345678"!), but no soap.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Fienix on a X5000/20 with an ATi Radeon X1650SE:

kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I found an interesting new way to screw Fienix up.
I was reading email but at some point I lost the internet connection. I closed the browser and tried to relaunch it but couldn't. So I tried to restart fienix, but clicking on the power button (or anything else) had no effect.
I did the ctrl^alt^F systemctl restart lightdm thing and got back into fienix. As it came up, I got two error messages: "The panel encountered a problem while loading MateWeatherAppletFactory::MateWeatherApplet" and "The panel encountered a problem while loading NetspeedAppletFactory::NetspeedApplet," both with an offer to delete the applet, which I declined.
Then back to email where I managed to read my digital newspaper from beginning to end, but when I tried to go to the next email item, dead again.
At some point I noticed the weather thing in the upper panel was reporting 0°. I thought resetting the panel might be part of the answer. I was warned that I would lose my custom settings but misinterpreted that to mean I would have to fill in things like time zone all over again, not that top and bottom panels would completely disappear.
When I rebooted I was able to get InterWeb Browser going by clicking something in fienix's home that brought up a non-functioning "Windows Browser" which I opened with "Another tool" namely Interweb Browser. But I was still having "Connecting ..."-forever internet problems.
I managed to get a terminal somehow and hoped maybe I could do something with apt-get update--would it notice I needed a panel? But lack of internet ruled that out too.
So I'm back in Ubuntu which rarely loses the internet, and wondering if maybe the only way to fix fienix is to clean the partition and copy the image back in. Any other ideas?