Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
UserH

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by UserH »

Casey..

I'm having the same "blue tinge" issues with images and video on pages and with the textures used in WebGL content under InterWeb.. Wasn't this supposed to have been fixed in one of the newer versions?

I've updated Fienix's packages from your package repository.. Though the issue still rather annoyingly persists..

ArcticFox seems fine though.. Though it seems to be having major issues with most modern websites I try and visit with it.
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

UserH wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:23 am Casey..

I'm having the same "blue tinge" issues with images and video on pages and with the textures used in WebGL content under InterWeb.. Wasn't this supposed to have been fixed in one of the newer versions?

I've updated Fienix's packages from your package repository.. Though the issue still rather annoyingly persists..

ArcticFox seems fine though.. Though it seems to be having major issues with most modern websites I try and visit with it.
Known issues. ViewTube/ViewTube+ avoids the issue on many video websites. The browser preferences prefer png images over webgl but it's not always an option. Arctic Fox doesn't have the issue because the engine is older.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Something else that baffles me.

Code: Select all

root@Fienix:/home/fienix# apt-get upgrade
Reading ...
... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  libgnutls30
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
What does "kept back" mean? Synaptic says I have libgnutls30 version 3.6.13-4, the latest version, so not upgradable, of course. Here are the Properties of what I find on disk: (Oops! Can't attach file, have to copy by hand)

Code: Select all

Name:          libgnutls30__3.6.13-4_powerpc.deb
Type:          Debian package (application/vnd.debian.binary-package)
Size:          1.2MB(1164628 bytes)
Size on Disk:  1.2MB(1167360 bytes)

Volume:        unknown

Accessed:      Thu Jun 4 10:55:59 2020
Modified:      Mon Jun 1 05:03:05 2020
I spent some time researching /var/cache/apt/archives, but brain doesn't work well enough anymore.
UserH

Post by UserH »

caseycullen wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:28 pm
UserH wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:23 am Casey..

Known issues. ViewTube/ViewTube+ avoids the issue on many video websites. The browser preferences prefer png images over webgl but it's not always an option. Arctic Fox doesn't have the issue because the engine is older.
OH! I thought InterWeb was a backport of Straver's Basilisk browser for PPC Macs.. Though it appears it's actually for older x86 based Macs instead..

With x86 being an instruction set that reads and writes it data back to memory in mostly little endian orientation .. That'll explain why it's having the same color palate issues as certain other software is experiencing on a PPC system that uses big endian data orientation.

I don't suppose there's a chance Wicknix would look into fixing the issue within InterWebs source code, If I contacted him? OR we as a community.. Could make a fork of it that's at least "fixed" for big endian PPC systems??
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

UserH wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:32 pm OH! I thought InterWeb was a backport of Straver's Basilisk browser for PPC Macs.. Though it appears it's actually for older x86 based Macs instead..

With x86 being an instruction set that reads and writes it data back to memory in mostly little endian orientation .. That'll explain why it's having the same color palate issues as certain other software is experiencing on a PPC system that uses big endian data orientation.

I don't suppose there's a chance Wicknix would look into fixing the issue within InterWebs source code, If I contacted him? OR we as a community.. Could make a fork of it that's at least "fixed" for big endian PPC systems??
Basilisk is a reference browser for developing/demonstrating the Unified XUL Platform (UXP) and Goanna 4. UXP is an application platform that can be used to develop applications like web browsers and email clients. Goanna is the layout/rendering engine that UXP uses.

Pale Moon has been based on UXP since version 28. InterWeb, being a fork of Basilisk, is also based on UXP.

Arctic Fox is a fork of Pale Moon 27.9.4, which was pre-UXP and pre-Goanna 4, but continues to receive security updates and bug fixes.

To sum it all up...
InterWeb: modern UXP browser, modern Goanna engine; renders modern webpages correctly, but currently has a bug that renders native videos with a blue tint.
Arctic Fox: lightweight browser with older engine, still receives security updates; renders some modern webpages incorrectly, but does not have blue tint issue.

Wicknix is aware of the blue tint issue and had been working on it. I'm not sure if work continues or if it has stalled but I've sent a message to check in with him.

-Casey
UserH

Post by UserH »

caseycullen wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:00 pm Wicknix is aware of the blue tint issue and had been working on it. I'm not sure if work continues or if it has stalled but I've sent a message to check in with him.

-Casey
Good.. I hope the color pallet issues at least get fixed with InterWeb.. As having a port of a nearly modern browser.. That can handle the ever changing Web 2.0.. For us owners of big endian only PPC hardware.. Would be beneficial thing for ALL of us indeed!
Amiguy

Post by Amiguy »

For anyone else using an unsupported graphics card (I have a 7750), I thought I would post how I was able to get Fienix working correctly.

1) Copy /usr/lib/fienix-gpu-bandage/xorg.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf (just to boot -- I did it from another distro I had installed)
2) Log in as root
3) In /usr/share/glib-2.0/org.mate.background.gschema.xml change the value of "background fade" from true to false
4) Run glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/
5) Log in as fienix
6) In the menu System/Preference/Personal/Startup Applications, turn off Redshift (I also turn off Blueman since my machine doesn't have a bluetooth card)

These changes are all related to the graphic card and not problems with Fienix, per se.

Hope this helps anyone else with an unsupported graphics card!

-Ken
Many thanks to Ken who allowed me to make Fienix work. I have an Radeon R7 250X graphic card and I was stuck just when connecting to the environment. The screen remained hopelessly black. After applying the recommended commands, everything is back in order. My card allows me now to access Fienix.
Amiga 1200 2Mb Chip - PiStorm32 lite - CF 128Gb - Indivision MK3 - GOEX Drive - WB 3.2.2.1
AmigaOne X5000 2Ghz / 8Gb Ram - SSD 2x4Tb - Radeon RX 580 4Gb - Sound Blaster Audigy FX 5.1 SBX - AmigaOS4.1 FE
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Hi Casey,

Could you please add the following packages to the Fienix img?
  • net-tools (ifconfig)
  • iproute2 (ip commands)
  • ifupdown
Additionally please add /sbin to the PATH variable. (export PATH=$PATH:/sbin)

Thanks,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

xeno74 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:37 am Hi Casey,

Could you please add the following packages to the Fienix img?
  • net-tools (ifconfig)
  • iproute2 (ip commands)
  • ifupdown
Additionally please add /sbin to the PATH variable. (export PATH=$PATH:/sbin)

Thanks,
Christian
Hi Christian,
Could you review this please? https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=918754
Summary:
This is a new behavior because the util-linux implementation of su is
used now. See also /usr/share/doc/util-linux/NEWS.Debian.gz for more
information.

"If you want to restore behaviour more similar to
the previous one you can add 'ALWAYS_SET_PATH yes' in /etc/login.defs."
Our options for Fienix are:
1) Adopt the util-linux implementation like Debian
2) Modify to implement the old su behavior
3) Adopt "sudo" like Ubuntu

Do you have a preference? My thought is to go along with Debian and use "su -", but I'd like to know your opinion.

I have added the packages you requested and their dependencies.

Thanks,
Casey
Amiguy

Post by Amiguy »

Hi Casey,

Debian regulars will say that "su -" is best, others will prefer "sudo". The question that should be asked for the adoption of the right system is to check which one offers the most security while remaining simple to use.

For my part, I would prefer "su -" which is a legacy of Unix system V and still seems to me as robust as ever. But I remain open to evolution.

Regards
Amiga 1200 2Mb Chip - PiStorm32 lite - CF 128Gb - Indivision MK3 - GOEX Drive - WB 3.2.2.1
AmigaOne X5000 2Ghz / 8Gb Ram - SSD 2x4Tb - Radeon RX 580 4Gb - Sound Blaster Audigy FX 5.1 SBX - AmigaOS4.1 FE