Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
acefnq

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by acefnq »

Niels
I first used Debian on my A1XE but later moved to Ubuntu on my Sam460 and X5000. I have forgotten there are some differences in how they both operate! -:)

Casey
I too wasn't able to find the Raptors, BattleMech, and OpenNotrium packages, I too could install Rafkill. I could not install many other games due to missing deps.

Great work.

Ace
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

acefnq wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:44 amCasey
I too wasn't able to find the Raptors, BattleMech, and OpenNotrium packages, I too could install Rafkill. I could not install many other games due to missing deps.

Great work.

Ace
I'm doing some repo reorganization work; it might be because of that. I'll check tonight when I get home. Thanks for letting me know.
-Casey
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

xeno74 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:33 pm Hi Casey,

I was able to upgrade my installed Fienix on my X5000 today. I got the following error messages during the upgrade.

Code: Select all

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/mate-control-center-common_1.24.0-1_all.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/share/man/man1/mate-time-admin.1.gz', which is also in package mate-system-tools 1.8.1+dfsg1-2
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/mate-control-center_1.24.0-1_powerpc.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/mate-time-admin', which is also in package mate-system-tools 1.8.1+dfsg1-2
I removed the package mate-system-tools 1.8.1+dfsg1-2 and after that I was able to install the packages mate-control-center_1.24.0-1 and mate-control-center-common_1.24.0-1.

The new wallpapers are really great! Thank you!

I wasn't able to find the Raptors, BattleMech, and OpenNotrium packages. I successfully installed Rafkill.

Screenshot of Fienix Soar PowerPC on an A-EON AmigaOne X5000/40:

Cheers,
Christian
Thanks for testing it and for spreading the word!
-Casey
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

FYI: If you experience any issues with the repository, downloading packages, or dependency issues for the next couple days it's because I'm rebuilding and updating many packages, and adding many new packages as well. Sorry for the inconvenience, but it will be pretty awesome when it's finished!
Thanks!
-Casey
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Thinking I must have done something wrong with my previous failed fienix upgrade, I decided I would try again with the Feb 18 soar version. I reformatted the partition I had put the last one in, and copied the new one in. But I may have some telling problems right there. For one thing, I think I am supposed to fix the size somehow, but I don't remember how I did that before I went senile. I don't understand how I have 101 GiB in the partition which has 5 GiB used, but only 1 GiB free instead of 94.

/dev/sda6 (!)|[]ext4 | | FIENIX | 100.95 GiB | 5.15 GiB | 1.21 GiB |

Also the Used size, 5.15 GiB, doesn't correspond to the image I dd'ed into it. The if file, if=Downloads/fienix-soar_20200218.img, was listed as 6.8 GB.

In any event, I tried running the new image, and I was delighted that it didn't give me that minute and a few seconds running some start job, but it ended with a black screen with a text cursor in the upper left corner.

I tried typing something there, and got the following, spread across and a little down the screen:

[OK] Started Disk Manager
[OK] Reached target Graphical Interface
Starting Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes
[OK] Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes
[OK] Started Daily man-db regeneration
I finally had to hit the reboot button and go back to ubuntu.

I spent quite a bit of time looking at the new Fienix logs thinking there must be a clue to my problem there, if only I knew how to read them.

/var/log/ has some /lightdm/ documents from December!

alternatives.log is a blank LibreOffice file.

auth.log is a short LibreOffice file that ends

Mar  2 17:46:27 Fienix systemd: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session closed for user lightdm
Mar  2 17:50:09 Fienix runuser: pam_unix(runuser:session): session opened for user nobody by (uid=0)
Mar  2 17:50:27 Fienix runuser: pam_unix(runuser:session): session closed for user nobody
auth.log.1 is longer, a few pages dated Feb 18 then jumps to Mar 2 for the last four entries.

btmp is empty.

daemon.log is six-and-a-half pages of mostly (interesting?) <info>.

dpkg.log is empty, but dpkg.log.1 is a very long file dated 2020-02-11 and 2020-02-12 about upgrading, (half) unpacking and installing.

kern.log is dated Mar 2 and full of repetitious stuff mostly about radeon and "last fence id." kern.log.1, dated Feb 18, is very different, very long, and more interesting.

messages looks a lot like kern.log, but messages.1 (Feb 18) looks real, like it has something to say.

user.log, short, seems to report key problems:

Mar  2 17:45:12 Fienix udisksd[3945]: Acquired the name org.freedesktop.UDisks2 on the system message bus
Mar  2 17:45:12 Fienix udisksd[3945]: mountpoint /media/fienix/FIENIX-BOOT is invalid, cannot recover the canonical path 
Mar  2 17:45:12 Fienix udisksd[3945]: Cleaning up mount point /media/fienix/FIENIX-BOOT (device 8:17 is not mounted)
Mar  2 17:45:12 Fienix udisksd[3945]: mountpoint /media/fienix/home is invalid, cannot recover the canonical path 
Mar  2 17:45:12 Fienix udisksd[3945]: Cleaning up mount point /media/fienix/home (device 8:33 no longer exists)
I'm hoping someone will see something here that I can fix. I would really like to be able to use Fienix again!
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:14 am For one thing, I think I am supposed to fix the size somehow, but I don't remember how I did that before I went senile.
resize2fs <your Fienix partition> is the solution. :-) It expands the file system to the total size of the specified partition.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

xeno74 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:43 am resize2fs <your Fienix partition> is the solution. :-) It expands the file system to the total size of the specified partition.
That resulted in the sizes reported by GParted looking better, including somewhat surprisingly increasing Used up from 5.15 GiB to 6.63, much closer to the 6.8 GB img file that is supposed to be there.

However, I still do not get a Desktop screen, only that mottled screen with the weird dark shape in the upper left corner and a cursor in the middle. If I enter "fienix" for lack of anything better to do, the mottled screen goes black for a moment, then comes back. This time I enter "fienixPW" and the screen goes black with a useless text cursor in the upper left corner. Ctrl^Alt^F3 has no effect, I have to hit the reset button.

The logs are full of complaints about lightdm and radeon, such as this bunch from daemon.log:

Mar  3 18:53:33 Fienix systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Mar  3 18:53:34 Fienix systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 2.
Mar  3 18:53:34 Fienix systemd[1]: Stopped Light Display Manager.
Mar  3 18:53:34 Fienix systemd[1]: Starting Light Display Manager...
Mar  3 18:53:34 Fienix systemd[1]: Started Light Display Manager.
Mar  3 18:53:34 Fienix systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Mar  3 18:53:34 Fienix systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Mar  3 18:53:34 Fienix systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 3.
Mar  3 18:53:34 Fienix systemd[1]: Stopped Light Display Manager.
Mar  3 18:53:34 Fienix systemd[1]: Starting Light Display Manager...
Mar  3 18:53:34 Fienix systemd[1]: Started Light Display Manager.
Mar  3 18:53:34 Fienix systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Mar  3 18:53:34 Fienix systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Mar  3 18:53:35 Fienix systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 4.
Mar  3 18:53:35 Fienix systemd[1]: Stopped Light Display Manager.
Mar  3 18:53:35 Fienix systemd[1]: Starting Light Display Manager...
Mar  3 18:53:35 Fienix systemd[1]: Started Light Display Manager.
Mar  3 18:53:35 Fienix systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Mar  3 18:53:35 Fienix systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Mar  3 18:53:35 Fienix systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Mar  3 18:53:35 Fienix systemd[1]: Stopped Light Display Manager.
Mar  3 18:53:35 Fienix systemd[1]: Starting Light Display Manager...
Mar  3 18:53:35 Fienix systemd[1]: Started Light Display Manager.
Mar  3 18:53:35 Fienix systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Mar  3 18:53:35 Fienix systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Surely those aren't normal?

Instead of downloading the img to a USB drive and dd'ing to the hard drive from that, I downloaded to my Downloads directory and dd'ed from there, but is that a bad thing to do? Everything seems to work, except for the lack of a usable Desktop screen.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Hi Kilaueabart,

Maybe glamor is the problem. Please rename the libglamoregl.so to libglamoregl.so.bak as root (su).

mv /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so.bak
After that restart your X5000.

Thanks,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
acefnq

Post by acefnq »

Casey Cullen

Well well well, who has been a very busy beaver then. Amazing work with all the additions and upgrades. Well done, greatly appreciated (especially KMahjongg).

ace
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

xeno74 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:43 am
Maybe glamor is the problem. Please rename the libglamoregl.so to libglamoregl.so.bak as root (su).

mv /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so.bak
Thanks, Christian. I tried that. No more mottled screen, but just a dead black one. Casey made a similar suggestion late January for the same problem in my old fienix.
viewtopic.php?p=49703#p49703
The result of that is that I now have in the old fienix, usr/lib/xorg/modules

libglamoregl.so.bak        264.8 kB backup file  Tue 14 Jan 2020 ...
libglamoregl.so.bak.bak    264.8 kB backup file  Tue 05 Mar 2019 ...
Those dates seem strange to me.
In the new soar fienix I just have

libglamoregl.so.bak        264.8 kB backup file  Wed 05 Feb 2020
But the results are exactly the same. No fienix desktop screen, but lots of new log files.